Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shit Towns

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Can't believe so many of you hate Oldham! You obviously came through the rough part of town.
On a day like today with snow on the hills and bright sunshine you can't beat it - 15 mins into Manchester city centre and 5 mins in the car into the middle of nowhere in the Pennines. Wouldn't go back to Horsham even if we could afford it!

My top 3
Portsmouth
Blackpool
Crawley

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
redland said:
Barrow Inverness

Do you mean Barrow, or Inverness or Barrow-in-Furnace?

There are a whole raft of shit towns in the Scottish central belt and I work in one of the shittiest, Glenrothes.

Shotts, Whitburn, High Valleyfield, Methil all really dire.

Worthing really isn't that bad in comparison. Mind you when I went back there last year for the first time in 20 years the first thing I recognised about the place is the rank smell of seaweed. Nice.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Stoke-on-Trent - 3 long years spent there. They stuck 6 shit towns together in a bid to create a Frankensteins monster of a city and it worked! Equidistant between Birmingham and Manchester and you'd rather be in both of them.

Newhaven - What a welcome this place msut be for tourists. I doubt there is a more desolate, ugly, shite place in Sussex. Makes me glad I live in Uckfield.

Portsmouth - Nasty, nasty place. If you sent Iraqi asylum seekers there they'd be on the first plane back home.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Eastbourne bit harsh, you have obviously not travelled much as even Hastings is much worse.

Gillingham
Grimsby
Walsall

All very bizarre and scary places!

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Raphael Meade said:
they've knocked down the litten tree?!?! what the f*** did they go and do that for!

bunch of nobbers!

It's been gone a couple of years now. All the pubs are now down one road so all the drunks can come out and fight!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In further researching what I shall refer to as "The Litten Tree Situation", I've now been told that Chapmans is no longer called Chapmans.

You're going to tell me that Cloisters closed down next.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Darlington
Oldham
Gillingham

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Bozza said:
In further researching what I shall refer to as "The Litten Tree Situation", I've now been told that Chapmans is no longer called Chapmans.

You're going to tell me that Cloisters closed down next.

Cloisters closed down years ago but is now reopened. They've called it the Church. I haven't been in since it was Cloisters though.
Can't remember what Chapman's is called now.

Also, can't believe I missed Portsmouth off of of my list. The Tricorn makes the old Churchill square look like an AONB!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seagullmatt said:
Cloisters closed down years ago but is now reopened. They've called it the Church. I haven't been in since it was Cloisters though.
Can't remember what Chapman's is called now.

Also, can't believe I missed Portsmouth off of of my list. The Tricorn makes the old Churchill square look like an AONB!

I was jesting about Cloisters.

At least I'll have The Fountain should I return to Worthing and find I am in need of a beer....

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
Bozza said:
I was jesting about Cloisters.

At least I'll have The Fountain should I return to Worthing and find I am in need of a beer....

Lol. I hope you are still joking coz the Fountain changed to the Font & Firkin and then to The Assembly. It's more like a night club than a pub now. No seats and loud music so you can't chat to your mates.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dewsbury/Batley

Stoke/Burslem etc

Bradford

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I live in Hull and yes it did come first but although its a bit of a shit hole I cant believe it is worse then Bradford, Burnley, Rotherham etc.

Horsham was in that book at number 27.

For me, these would have to be in the top ten:

- Slough
- Grimsby, well Cleethorpes and Grimsby.
- Crawley
- Stoke
- Bradford

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Albion Dan said:
Eastbourne bit harsh, you have obviously not travelled much as even Hastings is much worse.

It's true, I wasn't really putting the shittiest towns in the UK, just the ones I like least - cheating really, I suppose. It'd be only fair to say I've travelled a bit, though (I've been to considerably nastier places in the world than Gillingham, Grimsby and Walsall, for a start!), and yet I'd have to agree that Hastings has a quality of shittiness all of its own that is worth a mention in anybody's list...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh yeah, Bradford, passed through a couple of times when going to 'nice' towns like Rochdale and Oldham. Didn't look very nice and rumour control says it's horrible.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Croydon - enough said.
Stoke - brother lives there for some bizarre reason. Once had one of the scariest nights of my life in the town's "premier" nightspot Jumpin Jaks.
Basildon - just a terrible, terrible place. End of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here