Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage "in tears" [Merged]

Whilst I think Bas should sign the 18 month deal that has been offered to him as it seems from the article that it is a very good deal, I am a bit angry at Dick Knights comment:

"We are not going to pay the sort of wage demands that he makes. That will not happen all the time I am chairman. The club doesn't have the budget to do it.

Yes Dick the club doesn't have the budget to do it does it? No but it has the budget to pay Mayo and Hart a years wages to play in the reserves beacuse of your stupid "play so many games get a new years contract clause".
Perhaps the money wasted on them could be used to sign Richards and O'Callaghan on a more permanent basis?
This is not a dig and Kerry and Gary, they have been good servants to the club, but why go above your manager and give players contracts that he is not going to use.
Over to you Dick.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not wishing to be contravercial here ( esp as I cant spell it) but has the club become Dick Knight and Hove Albion?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Whilst I think Bas should sign the 18 month deal that has been offered to him as it seems from the article that it is a very good deal, I am a bit angry at Dick Knights comment:

"We are not going to pay the sort of wage demands that he makes. That will not happen all the time I am chairman. The club doesn't have the budget to do it.

Yes Dick the club doesn't have the budget to do it does it? No but it has the budget to pay Mayo and Hart a years wages to play in the reserves beacuse of your stupid "play so many games get a new years contract clause".
Perhaps the money wasted on them could be used to sign Richards and O'Callaghan on a more permanent basis?
This is not a dig and Kerry and Gary, they have been good servants to the club, but why go above your manager and give players contracts that he is not going to use.
Over to you Dick.

mmmmmmmmmm..........seems a reasonable stance from Dick...........but did Zamora not get more than anyone else at the club in his last seaason....? Rumours I know..............but it was mentioned that Fatboy Slim funded the extra wages for Zamora , to keep him here longer.Presumably, Dick decides whether a player isworth his wages or not..........thought that was the managers job...?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Jesus an average player with a fancy celebration turns down a contract and a poor mans Dean Hammond gets hits knickers in a twist on the radio as he does not get one and suddenly the club is falling apart???

This of course at a time when a couple of good results will put us back in the hunt for the playoff places.

There seems to be enough panic so think I will concentrate on getting behind our first choice eleven for the forthcoming games instead!

O'Callaghan is the best player at the club (other than possibly Forster)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Over to you Dick.

Like that, about right.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
How did you come to that conclusion, out of interest?

Always seems much calmer on the ball, has the best array of passing of the lot and seems to have much more about him than anyone else. Just my opinion obviously but would rather have him than any of our other midfielders.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
O,callaghan LOOKED like he would be the best player at the club,after the first few games I dont think he,s looked any better than Tommy Fraser - so not the massive loss many seem to think in my opinion.
As for Bas, in the main he,s been no more than a sideshow again no great loss.
The main loss is that they add numbers to the squad, when they go we wont be able to afford any injurys or suspensions.
I'm pretty sure Wilkins has perfectly adequate replacements in mind

SW17

Jan 2, 2007
South London
Dick Knight has every right to decide who does and doesn't work for him. He should be advised on this by the manager but let's face it how much should we pay Bas Savage compared to the other members of the squad? Can you imagine Dean Wilkins telling him to sign Savage at whatever the cost? The problem here is the player and probably his agent thinking he is better than he is. Until the pair of them wake up and realise that he is not a very good player and should be grateful for what he's been offered at the Albion, the sooner Bas Savage can have a longer stay at a club which would suit both him and his family

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Savage for a striker isn't the most prolific so he's loss probably won't amount too much anyway and he will more than likely bomb somewhere else anyway...Not many players improve once they leave...

mmmmmmmmmm..........seems a reasonable stance from Dick...........but did Zamora not get more than anyone else at the club in his last seaason....? Rumours I know..............but it was mentioned that Fatboy Slim funded the extra wages for Zamora , to keep him here longer.Presumably, Dick decides whether a player isworth his wages or not..........thought that was the managers job...?

Yes it is a reasonable stance from our Chairman to be careful with the playing budget, however he hasn't has he?
That is why I quoted the deals that Mayo and Hart got offered, also remember the money wasted on Turienzo? Dick was the one who signed him apparently.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've just been on the Albion website, and that of the BBC too, and the answer is No.

Next?

it was a rhetorical question, but you being a clever chap would know that

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
If Bas was half as talented, and saleable, as Zamora then I've no doubt Dick would have found the money. But he's not.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If Bas was half as talented, and saleable, as Zamora then I've no doubt Dick would have found the money. But he's not.

Yes indeed..........this is, in away, my point from earlier posts. I think people would agree that posters on this board are pretty divided on Bas,s talents and usefullness to this club. Half think he,s an entertainer, brings the best out of Forster and chips in with some very useful goals. The other half, think he is utter cack, and is best sent on his way.
Undoubtedly, Wilkins (the Manager) thinks he,s a better bet than Revell. But just supposing Dick fell into the other camp and thought Bas was "utter cack"...?
Who,s judgement is he going to base his wage offer on...? Wilkins or himself...?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here