Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage "in tears" [Merged]

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
got to re focus got 2 massive games coming up in the next few days and we need points !, see ya later Bas we have seen it before and will no doubt see it again. one thing is for sure is that i feel that Dick Knight has done the best thing for this football club in his offer and does not want to make a joke of the wage bracket by putting him above too many senior players. He is actually not worth it and there are other forwards out there who would like to join a well run football club chasing the play offs !.....keep the faith as someone once said !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed, If it was Forster give him what he wants within reason, but not Savage - as you say his strike record is bad, it must be on par with Mccammon.

League appearances / goals

McCammon
Doncaster 18/3
Bristol C 8/4
Brighton 19/3
Millwall 15/2
Brentford 46/10
Swindon 4/0
Charlton 1/0
Cambridge 1/0

22 goals in 112 starts

Savage
Brighton 31/9
Gillingham 8/1
Bristol City 15/1
Bury 5/0
Wycombe 2/0
Reading 6/0

11 goals in 67 starts

Savage is even less prolific and even less experienced than Mark McCammon, who was very gash indeed

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
To know whether a player is being greedy or not, you'd need to know what every other player is earning at that time and what another club has offered him, and that just would not happen!

Good point Race, I actually think that 'commercial reality' is something that a lot of people have no grasp of, and I am not just talking football. Lots of people have a deluded view on what they think they are worth, why should footballers be any different?

I have total faith that Dick Knight is 'commercially savvy' and will not let the club go down the pan for the sake of unrealistic demands. The club has always been well run and we are not a Swindon/Leeds etc. Players should also know where the line is, this week Bas and O'C have both stepped over it...Goodbye boys it was nice knowing you.:bigwave:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think it's a shame that Bas is likely to go but it is not a tragedy. I dont blame him for wanting more money - we all do it from time to time, but if the offer has been on the table and has been recently upped then it is unlikely to be upped again. Therefore it is now take it or leave it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
To be fair, i would be in tears if i had Baz's physique, popularity, luck and general coolness, together with his complete inability to do anything with a football - what a sad waste :down:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Having read through this all patiently, my points are:

1. Bas has red and BLUE in his hair as I had a close up of it at Falmer in the gym last Friday night. If he goes to a red and blue club (and heaven help him if it's THAT one) then Dick is spot on with the disrespectful comment. 2. The key financial point is that there are 3 clubs in this division alone who have been in major financial straits recently.given our history it is a minor miracle that we have not succumbed to administration and we have Dick and others (such as Bob Pinnock) to thank for that. To risk that for a player of Bas's useful but hardly team-making contribution would be madness.
3. Standing up to Bas's wage demands does send a clear message to others at the club that the club will play hardball in any negotiations.
4. With Bas playing we play too much long ball at the expense of the passing game that the majority of the team have grown up with through the youth ranks. I would like to see Revell given an extended run to form a partnership with Fozzie based on a passing game and running the channels.
PG

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Bye Bas thanks for the effort, dont slam the door on your way out!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Jesus an average player with a fancy celebration turns down a contract and a poor mans Dean Hammond gets hits knickers in a twist on the radio as he does not get one and suddenly the club is falling apart???

This of course at a time when a couple of good results will put us back in the hunt for the playoff places.

There seems to be enough panic so think I will concentrate on getting behind our first choice eleven for the forthcoming games instead!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Reading through the comments, the consensus seems to be that DK is doing the right thing for the club and that Baz is not going to have many of our tears shed over him leaving.

I personally agree with DK's position on this, the terms of the contract seemed fair (without knowing the figures, but after being told the contract length and the fact that he would be one of the clubs highest earners) and Baz, unless he's already got somthing better lined up, has made his position untenable.

Having read through this all patiently, my points are:

1. Bas has red and BLUE in his hair as I had a close up of it at Falmer in the gym last Friday night. If he goes to a red and blue club (and heaven help him if it's THAT one) then Dick is spot on with the disrespectful comment.

Bas wouldn't even make their third team (if they have one). He's already playing a division or two above his capabilities. He got lucky and has now shot himself in the foot....

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If Savage had actually been playing well for the last few months, I might be a bit more disappointed with this news.

The fact is, virtually every set of opposing fans we've met have considered him an utter donkey, and the only thing that's stopping most of us from thinking along similar lines is the fact that he's playing for us.

If he turned up in another team's shirt, we'd all be thinking "what the hell is this ungainly creature doing on a football pitch?"

Certainly don't see why we should break the budget for him to persuade him to stay. Would that be fair on the other players?

And as for "crying in the dressing room", yeah right!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
"I only found out today that Dean (manager Dean Wilkins) was told by Bas Savage on Christmas Eve that he was not going to sign his contract.

"Frankly, if that is the case I don't know why Dean picked him because I don't want players in the team who don't want to play for our club.
I cannot belive Wilkins played him, that is an extremly poor decision, the state he must have been in mentally could give a reason for his shocking performence. Wilkins still has a lot to learn before he gets us promoted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally agree with Dick Knight's comments and, in some respects, I'm glad that he has laid down the law with a player that IS expendable, rather than a Lynch or Elphick.

The Baz thing was good while it lasted and he's someone we'll all have a laugh about in 5 years time, but for the remainder of the season we need grafters, not fancy dans. I'm happy that Revell will be able to do a job in the short-term, and I'm sure that between them Knight, Wilkins and Lloyd will replace Baz in the squad with someone better.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Superbly put.

All I can say to Bas is sign the bloody contract. You have looked comfortable with Forster and you have a crowd that are behind you. You are pretty much guaranteed first team football with us and if you are that good, then someone will be willing to part with some cash for your services. He is not a world beater, but you have found a niche in Brighton and Hove Albion.

Do not join a growing list of players that think they are above a club. Get stuck in.

Great post BOF .....................come on Bas sign and stay you know it makes sense.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well, nothing like a bad result an a bit of bad news to get the panic spreading like wild fire.

Firstly, the Millwall result and performance wasn't good... but these things happen.

With Bas, the situation is hardly a surprise. He came to us because he did a similar thing last year and now he has done it again. Personally i'm not that bothered. Sure he is a useful player and from time to time makes things happen and would have prefered him to stay, but the fact that we were prepared to make him a top earner at the club worried me.

With O'C, again he is a good player but yet to be convinced he the the GREAT player that people claim he is. If he goes he goes, he certainly isn't helping with his comments and if we could actually find a midfielder that compliments Hammond rather than change the way he plays then we might be better off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here