Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Savage "in tears" [Merged]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I hope anyone didn't get an 'I Wanna Be Like Bas' T-Shirt for Christmas.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The problem is that when we hear of players failing to agree terms and being cast as greedy so and so`s we never really know exactly what sort of offer they have refused.

Baz has done well for us so I would have expected a deal of 18 months with an increase in wages by about 15 % on what he was originally getting.

Maybe these details should be made public after players leave so that we can make our own minds up on whether they are being greedy or the club are just not playing fair.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Maybe these details should be made public after players leave so that we can make our own minds up on whether they are being greedy or the club are just not playing fair.

To know whether a player is being greedy or not, you'd need to know what every other player is earning at that time and what another club has offered him, and that just would not happen!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The problem is that when we hear of players failing to agree terms and being cast as greedy so and so`s we never really know exactly what sort of offer they have refused.

Baz has done well for us so I would have expected a deal of 18 months with an increase in wages by about 15 % on what he was originally getting.

I agree with this. Bas has rejected his contract so people either jump to the conclusion that a) bas is greedy or b) dick tight needs to go hasnt offered enough etc etc but it could be a combination of the two or that a club with a better location has come in with more money in which case the player, although wanting to stay and being upset (hence the crying) has his mind effectively made up for him. I hope Bas goes public after he leaves so we can see both sides of the story.

You've got more chance of pissing in the Queen's handbag than that happening. Any details of contracts that are revealed will only cause more problems, as players at the club who aren't getting as much as was offered will suddenly want more. You wouldn't want your salary details revealed to everyone would you?

If Bas feels the deal isn't good enough then he can go. It'll be a shame to lose him as he lifts the team when he plays, but I don't think we should ever be held to ransom.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is there any official word that Bas is definitely leaving or is there any chance of a last minute change of heart?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Players come,players go.

Never make the mistake of believing that employed footballers think as much of YOUR club as you do.

Goodbye wotsisname.

To know whether a player is being greedy or not, you'd need to know what every other player is earning at that time and what another club has offered him, and that just would not happen!

Does, and should, ANY company of workers be getting their heads together to compare what their wage-packets are??

Surely Guy doesn't go reading his out in the dressing room, or the Sportsman on Golden Eagle day? How and why would this happen?

He's scored FOUR goals this season in the THIRD DIVSION

We should be getting rid of him because he is a shit forward . harldly likely to take thi club forward is he...........

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Players come,players go.

Never make the mistake of believing that employed footballers think as much of YOUR club as you do.

Goodbye wotsisname.
Correct. He can go and play with that other guy we had last year that loads of people said we should have signed; some Frenchman, Plastic Bertrand or Bertrin or something. Whatever happened to him? All the people who said we should have signed him were made to look foolish (when we DIDN'T struggle at the start of this season) and the same will happen with Savage.

Savage's best bet is to find a club like Leeds, Luton, Bournemouth, Swindon etc; i.e. a badly-run club trying to 'live the dream', but where the gravy train hasn't yet hit the buffers. He should be able to screw a fair few quid out of some gullible charman before Administration.

Is there any official word that Bas is definitely leaving or is there any chance of a last minute change of heart?

John Lees on SCR rhis morning was not holdong out much hope.

He's out of contract. the transfer window is open, and he's got one deal on the table. Can't really be suprised that he is looking around to see is any beter offers come along.............

Good riddance to bad rubbsih I say

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Does, and should, ANY company of workers be getting their heads together to compare what their wage-packets are??

Surely Guy doesn't go reading his out in the dressing room, or the Sportsman on Golden Eagle day? How and why would this happen?

It would not, and should not happen, that was my point.

It's always fascinated me about what fans think their players earn, it would be interesting to read some of the comments if they did actually get to see the reality!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
John Lees on SCR rhis morning was not holdong out much hope.

He's out of contract. the transfer window is open, and he's got one deal on the table. Can't really be suprised that he is looking around to see is any beter offers come along.............

Good riddance to bad rubbsih I say

I really cant see many clubs in this league being interested apart from thos in the lower reaches.

He's scored FOUR goals this season in the THIRD DIVSION

We should be getting rid of him because he is a shit forward . harldly likely to take thi club forward is he...........

Hard to disagree with any of the above-he has started believing that he's good thanks to a few spots on Soccer AM. For his frigging moonwalk rather than for being a prolific goal scorer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You've got more chance of pissing in the Queen's handbag than that happening. Any details of contracts that are revealed will only cause more problems, as players at the club who aren't getting as much as was offered will suddenly want more. You wouldn't want your salary details revealed to everyone would you?

If Bas feels the deal isn't good enough then he can go. It'll be a shame to lose him as he lifts the team when he plays, but I don't think we should ever be held to ransom.

Point taken but I cannot blame a player for trying to get the best possible deal for himself financially for the next 18 months. It seems we really judge on how good they are though when it comes to paying them. If he had scored 5 more goals this season everyone would be screaming, '' Pay the man''

Steve Foster earned 75 k one season with us all those years ago. Christ I bet a few of our players would like that now. Nothing to do with the Baz row I know.

Point taken but I cannot blame a player for trying to get the best possible deal for himself financially for the next 18 months. It seems we really judge on how good they are though when it comes to paying them. If he had scored 5 more goals this season everyone would be screaming, '' Pay the man''

Steve Foster earned 75 k one season with us all those years ago. Christ I bet a few of our players would like that now. Nothing to do with the Baz row I know.

I don't blame any player wanting to get the best deal either, but I think that perhaps some of them should get some perspective. When Savage came to us he was a nobody, 3 career goals or something, and he's a striker! Now, he's not actually much better, but has gained some success mainly due to his moonwalk. His record still doesn't exactly excite does it?

I agree if he'd scored more goals then more people would be calling for DK to just pay him, but we don't actually know the details of what he's asking for and what he's being offered, other than it being an improvement on his current deal. What makes him think that he's now worth so much more than he's being offered?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't blame any player wanting to get the best deal either, but I think that perhaps some of them should get some perspective. When Savage came to us he was a nobody, 3 career goals or something, and he's a striker! Now, he's not actually much better, but has gained some success mainly due to his moonwalk. His record still doesn't exactly excite does it?

I agree if he'd scored more goals then more people would be calling for DK to just pay him, but we don't actually know the details of what he's asking for and what he's being offered, other than it being an improvement on his current deal. What makes him think that he's now worth so much more than he's being offered?

Agreed, If it was Forster give him what he wants within reason, but not Savage - as you say his strike record is bad, it must be on par with Mccammon.

It would not, and should not happen, that was my point.

It's always fascinated me about what fans think their players earn, it would be interesting to read some of the comments if they did actually get to see the reality!

Depends on perspective I suppose. If everyone goes around talking about John Terry or David Beckham (whose wages HAVE made the headlines), then I'm quite sure that lower-division players' wages are paltry pittances in comparison.

Compared to a good chippie, brickie, chartered accountant, carpet salesman etc, then perhaps it's not so bad in comparison. Many people on here and in the stands would be happy to make an average football wage - and before anyone says what a short career it is - the prospects are huge, a clever player doesn't necessarily have to leave the industry, and why should a retired player think his working life is over just because he's no longer playing football at, say, 34 years of age?
Just like with everyone else, wise investing and saving is advisable while the going's good.

I probably need not mention it to any players, but taking part in such a respected and celebrated employment is not to be sniffed at either. I've seen aging ex-Brighton players on the town, and getting whispers of "that's so-and-so, he used to play for The ALBION". I know, you can't take that to the bank, but there must be a couple of free beers, discounted sofas, friendly local butchers ("only osprey steak available in all England sir, I saved it for YOU").

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here