Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC One X vs Sony Xperia S

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Android users are, as a generalisation, tight and/or poor. They want a phone for as cheap as possible and will rarely, if ever, pay for apps. As such developers have to release ad-loaded versions on Android to try and get some traction. Very often the same exists on iOS but ad-free versions exist too for those rich enough to be able to afford 69p or whatever.

That is the Google way, supply for free and make your money through advertising.

It can't be that bad a model, it seems to be the one you have adopted for NSC.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
A bit of a generalisation,the best android phones absolutely wipe the floor with the iphone. As for apps, i get the same apps as my iphone loving friends for around a third of the price, pleasing as i can put the saved money towards a phone that makes calls reliably! The company i work for just bought 30000 iphone 4's for every worker, this pleased the apple lovers! 3 months down the line they are going back to apple as the apps specific to the company do not work well and the huge problem of reception problems/dropping calls in a company that relies on accurate communications.

Wipe the floor in what way? Because it says on the box that it is faster? If the applications don't work, quite often this is because of the application developer, not the phone. Trust me, I have been working on a mobile application for my company, the iPhone application was simple, and works. The Android version is a nightmare, no consistant screen sizes, resolutions, consistency. Added to that the app store on Android is rife with malware and all sorts, because it's not regulated like the Apple App Store.

People will stick with what they know. Android users are loyal to Android. Apple users are loyal to Apple.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
. The Android version is a nightmare, no consistant screen sizes, resolutions, consistency. Added to that the app store on Android is rife with malware and all sorts, because it's not regulated like the Apple App Store.

People will stick with what they know. Android users are loyal to Android. Apple users are loyal to Apple.

Fair point, although I've moved from iPhone to Android, tried moving back & didn't like it, much of the time there is no point in learning a whole new navigation method, especially when you've already invested cash in apps that you can take to the next phone.

you are almost guaranteed to be able to take your iphone apps between devices, but there is ambiguity on Android. GalaxyS2 is the most popular Android phone so most apps work for that, the other two are also the next best so also a safe bet on Android.

Moving between iPhones and Android is basically a budget thing mixed with convenience and what you already know. Most people move away from Apple to spend less and own their own music which is budget as well as control.

Android however is more high maintenance in exchange for the extra control you get over your phone and your media

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I've had an HTC One X for a couple of weeks now.

It's absolutely f***ing amazing. The internet loads just as quickly as my wife's iPad, the navigation is really smooth and the apps download super-quickly as well.

The camera is superb as well.

It's an incredible phone - you will not be disappointed.

I've only had mine for a few hours but so far......very much "this". Came with some very nice beats headphones too....which was nice.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Apparently the Samsung Galaxy S3 is being inveiled today, so will have to look out for deals on that one.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm trying to decide between the HTC and Samsung as well. Tesco in store have a One X free on £27p/m O2 contract but expect the S3 to be at least £5 more. Anyone ever bought from e2save.com or are they a bit dodgy? They have a One X for free on a £21p/m T-mobile contract with up to 1.5Gb data allowance!

Tough choice but they sound so close spec-wise that the HTC wins?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm trying to decide between the HTC and Samsung as well. Tesco in store have a One X free on £27p/m O2 contract but expect the S3 to be at least £5 more. Anyone ever bought from e2save.com or are they a bit dodgy? They have a One X for free on a £21p/m T-mobile contract with up to 1.5Gb data allowance!

Tough choice but they sound so close spec-wise that the HTC wins?

I think I'll end up with the One X as well. The S3 looks great, but I want at least 500mb data and the lowest price I've found so far for that is £31 p/m, which I'm not willing to pay.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Why has a thread about the comparative merits of three current gen Android handsets descended into a petty squabble over how iPhone users justify paying so much more for comparable hardware?

Seriously this debate has been done TO DEATH.

You WILL pay more for an iPhone than an Android handset. The apps on the iPhone will cost you MORE because there are far fewer free apps and games than on Android.

Both iOS and Android are very capable and pretty mobile operating systems. Which you prefer is down to personal preference. HOWEVER there is no comparison when it comes to cost. They do the same things but Apple devices are MORE EXPENSIVE, every time.

iPhone users/Apple fanboys need to accept that they are paying a premium for their devices. Nobody is slating them as poor devices, they're not. They're just MORE EXPENSIVE for the same features. There's nothing wrong with brand loyalty and being happy to pay more for a name you like/trust, but don't start trying to justify the extra money you've spent by criticising the competition.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Just discovered I can now upgrade from my Galaxy S1. Should really hang on for the S3 but the size of that thing based on the released dimensions seems ridiculous. The only decent thing of a sensible size my provider does is iPhone 4S, but I hate Apple with a vengeance. So now I'm tempted to stick with what I've got, but on the other hand I'm skint and could flog my S1 for £150 on eBay if I upgraded. I'm all confused grrr...

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I've read that the S3 is the same as the S2 but with a quad core. So I'd assume less battery life, like the HTC one.

I've got a mate who's just got an HTC one (he's also a STH in the north) and he gets over a day out of the battery and won't say a bad thing about it.

there are some very cool Android apps coming out to make full use of quad core, so you may as well get one if you're on the market.

stuff includes: multiple desktop windows, dual boot with Linux, split screen and more.

I'm holding onto my S2 for another year but I've got mates with Galaxy Notes and the ICS with decent hardware can do some awesome things.

If you've not had an iphone before and u'r used to Android, don't get an iPhone, It'll bleed you dry.
Android can do more but initially it's a bit more complecated because of it. Once u'r used to it iPhones feel like kids toys in comparison.

Last edited:

djlazyness

Oct 21, 2011
Peacehaven
Htc x!!!

I would suggest that you get an HTC One X. I am quite a geek to be honest with you and this year alone I have gone through 5 handset already and my newest and I can see being the phone I am going to stick with for a long time is the HTC one x. My girlfriend has an iphone and my htc one x can do everything that thing can do and a lot more. whatever you are into or want a phone to do this phone will do it and you will find an app for it and so far I have not found any app with will not run. Also htc is on aroid i do not know what the other phones are on but a lot of app on the market place are free:)

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I love my Galaxy S2, and reading the reports from the experts, the S3 is not a better phone or at least not worth the extra dollar. But like anything it is personal choice. My son has an iphone and swears by it. I just prefer the flexibility of Android, especially now you can update from android 2 to android 4 on the galaxy 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here