Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC One X vs Sony Xperia S

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Partly because there are plans afoot for an iPad mini....(?)...

I don't think so, and by that I do think there'll be an 'iPad mini' but I don't think Apple would be concerned about cannibalisation of sales.

Apple believe you should be able to use a phone one handed. Any bigger than 4 inches and there'll be a lot of people who can't reach the top corners of the screen with their thumb.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I've hardly got surgeon's fingers but have no problem holding an S3.

Personally would say that the S3 screen size is spot on. Have had it for a couple of weeks now, and I'm already so used to it that I'd feel short-changed by anything less. The only thing that would persuade me to swap it for an iPhone of any generation, present or future, would be an app that weeds the garden and does the school run. Even then, I'd have to think about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've hardly got surgeon's fingers but have no problem holding an S3.

I'm not suggesting people will have problem holding the phone, but with the phone in the palm of your hand, can your thumb of that same hand reach to accurately tap something in the very top far corner of the screen?

If you can, you have well above average hand/thumb size.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm not suggesting people will have problem holding the phone, but with the phone in the palm of your hand, can your thumb of that same hand reach to accurately tap something in the very top far corner of the screen?

If you can, you have well above average hand/thumb size.

I hardly every type with my thumbs... so this is not something that had occurred to me as a potential issue.

Having just tried it, I can do it at a stretch... if I ever wanted to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hardly every type with my thumbs... so this is not something that had occurred to me as a potential issue.

Having just tried it, I can do it at a stretch... if I ever wanted to.

I'm not talking about typing. Besides, soft keyboards are, invariably, on the lower part of a phone screen.

I am quite often using apps where I have the phone in one hand and need to be able to accurately make clicks on any part of the screen. Not having to stretch and/or lose accuracy is important in such use cases.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not talking about typing. Besides, soft keyboards are, invariably, on the lower part of a phone screen.

I am quite often using apps where I have the phone in one hand and need to be able to accurately make clicks on any part of the screen. Not having to stretch and/or lose accuracy is important in such use cases.

I think screen size really is a big factor for me. Having used my wife's S3 a bit, my iPhone4 feels TINY in comparison.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think screen size really is a big factor for me. Having used my wife's S3 a bit, my iPhone4 feels TINY in comparison.

Not too big though, a guy at work has got the Galaxy Note and it looks RIDICULOUS plus you need 2 hands to use it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Apple are undoubtedly going to increase the iPhone screen size to reduce some of the difference with those plasticy Samsung toy phones that a few people seem to like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apple are undoubtedly going to increase the iPhone screen size to reduce some of the difference with those plasticy Samsung toy phones that a few people seem to like.

Haha I thought I was the Apple fanboi?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not too big though, a guy at work has got the Galaxy Note and it looks RIDICULOUS plus you need 2 hands to use it.

Fair comment. I don't think I'd want one bigger than the S3.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I have a Galaxy note. I can use it with one hand but then I am 6ft 3 with hands like shovels. Think of it as a phone for BIG people and those that don't like squinting to see what the f*** it actually says unless you are Frodo baggins. My wife has an I-phone and its like using a kids toy.

That all said, I do seem to be in a minority of 1, or 2, if we count your mate from work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here