Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Samsung Galaxy S2 vs HTC One X vs Sony Xperia S

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You got lucky. I'm committed to the wife on a 36 month contract. Ridiculous really but worked out cheaper.

I imagine it's pretty expensive to end the contract early too.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Would be very interested in your thoughts as another long term iPhone user. I am due for upgrade in about 2 months.

Well I am about two weeks into my Android experience and I have to be honest I am fairly impressed. There is a lot more I can do with the HTC ONE X than I could with the iPhone and pretty much all the apps I used on my iPhone are exactly the same.

The best things I have found so far is greater choice of things like browsers, email clients, even SMS clients that you can integrate in as the default. I also love an app I have that allows me to customise automated profiles that change ringtone and volume etc when I get to work etc and when I get int he car automatically open my music app to play tunes and things like that.

The biggest downer with regards to the HTC ONE X is definitely battery life, whereas my iphone 4 would easily make it through the day without any extra charge, the ONE X only makes it through a day if I am not using it much, If I do a bit of surfing, listen to some music (30 minute) and go on facebook/twitter a few times in the day as well as a couple of phone calls (no more than 5 minutes in total) and maybe a photo or two the battery is dead by about 7pm. Apparently the battery gets better as it goes on but not impressed by that.

The other negative for anyone who has a premium Spotify account is that the Android spotify apps are shockingly bad compared with the iOS one, but that's only an issue if you use spotify for your mobile music which I do.

Apart from that its an awesome bit of kit and if anything a better experience that the iPhone, be interesting what iOS 6 brings this week because I haven't ruled out going back to iPhone again when the new one comes out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well I am about two weeks into my Android experience and I have to be honest I am fairly impressed. There is a lot more I can do with the HTC ONE X than I could with the iPhone and pretty much all the apps I used on my iPhone are exactly the same.

The best things I have found so far is greater choice of things like browsers, email clients, even SMS clients that you can integrate in as the default. I also love an app I have that allows me to customise automated profiles that change ringtone and volume etc when I get to work etc and when I get int he car automatically open my music app to play tunes and things like that.

The biggest downer with regards to the HTC ONE X is definitely battery life, whereas my iphone 4 would easily make it through the day without any extra charge, the ONE X only makes it through a day if I am not using it much, If I do a bit of surfing, listen to some music (30 minute) and go on facebook/twitter a few times in the day as well as a couple of phone calls (no more than 5 minutes in total) and maybe a photo or two the battery is dead by about 7pm. Apparently the battery gets better as it goes on but not impressed by that.

The other negative for anyone who has a premium Spotify account is that the Android spotify apps are shockingly bad compared with the iOS one, but that's only an issue if you use spotify for your mobile music which I do.

Apart from that its an awesome bit of kit and if anything a better experience that the iPhone, be interesting what iOS 6 brings this week because I haven't ruled out going back to iPhone again when the new one comes out.

Thanks very much, this has been very helpful.

Is there anything about your old iPhone that you miss?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

Apart from the battery life being so much better not really.

The email client is more user friendly on the iphone but that could just be that its what I'm used to. Apart from that the alternatives are very similar and in most cases you hardly notice the difference when in an app.

I do love having a bigger screen though especially for web surfing.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Galaxy s3's, out everyone i know who's got one say the battery life is better than the s2,
s'got loads of potential.
Especially seeing as Apple might be out of ideas, big test for the iPhone5

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The HTC One X looked like the obvious choice to replace my old Desire at some point soon.

However, as many reviews have asserted it has two real issues which could be deal breakers for some and definitely me. Firstly, no expandable memory I.e. you can't put an SD card in if the device is your primary mobile music source and you have sizeable mp3 collection or you have loads of apps that you might want to move to the card to preserve the phones internal memory. Secondly, unlike most previous HTC it does not have a removeable battery. All these phones are so smart but juice hungry if you want to spend all day using them to their potential. Unfortunately therefore just carrying a spare which you can quickly switch over is now not an option.

Personally, I also think the One X is just a tad too big and not pocket friendly and the finish is very plasticky. Ironically the lower specced One S is just the right size and much more sturdy.

Wasn't the idea of quad core processors meant to make more efficient use of battery power? Seems like the truth is great graphics for gaming and slick multi tasking but not enough juice preservation to reap the benefits.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Absolutely NOT my experience.

My One X will go at least a day and a half and sometimes two before getting plugged back in.

I've been VERY pleasantly surprised

That's been my experience too. Much much better then my Samsung Galaxy that I had previously.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Absolutely NOT my experience.

My One X will go at least a day and a half and sometimes two before getting plugged back in.

I've been VERY pleasantly surprised

How are you managing that? Mine doesn't seem to last that long.

That said, I do use it a lot and it is pretty new.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I've just got the Sony Xperia S and it's great, it's my first android phone and touchscreen phone.
It's got a 12mp camera which is the main reason I got this one as I use it more as a camera than a phone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Apart from the battery life being so much better not really.

The email client is more user friendly on the iphone but that could just be that its what I'm used to. Apart from that the alternatives are very similar and in most cases you hardly notice the difference when in an app.

I do love having a bigger screen though especially for web surfing.

Quick update:

The wife was due an upgrade recently so I got her a Galaxy S3. Been pretty impressed so far, roughly what I was expecting but the bigger screen really does make a difference.

My upgrade is due on 19th August - nightmare timing - as don't want to hold out too long for iPhone 5, as my current iPhone 4 has a cracked screen. Not been that impressed by rumours I've heard about the iPhone 5 so far, but don't wanna plunge for the S3 then find out the iPhone 5 is phenomenal.

Thoughts?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quick update:

The wife was due an upgrade recently so I got her a Galaxy S3. Been pretty impressed so far, roughly what I was expecting but the bigger screen really does make a difference.

My upgrade is due on 19th August - nightmare timing - as don't want to hold out too long for iPhone 5, as my current iPhone 4 has a cracked screen. Not been that impressed by rumours I've heard about the iPhone 5 so far, but don't wanna plunge for the S3 then find out the iPhone 5 is phenomenal.

Thoughts?

What would impress you about iPhone 5? What do you want in a phone?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What would impress you about iPhone 5? What do you want in a phone?

I don't know, to be honest. At 26, I actually starting to feel like I'm losing my capacity to get excited about new features/new tech etc a bit.

I actually use my phone quite extensively for gaming, so memory size would be a consideration, I know they're trying to push us onto the iCloud now though, correct?

A bigger screen would be a big plus, and I know we're expecting that.

Do we have any further clue about release date?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know, to be honest. At 26, I actually starting to feel like I'm losing my capacity to get excited about new features/new tech etc a bit.

I actually use my phone quite extensively for gaming, so memory size would be a consideration, I know they're trying to push us onto the iCloud now though, correct?

A bigger screen would be a big plus, and I know we're expecting that.

Do we have any further clue about release date?

A faster processor/GPU and better camera will be the usual bumps I'm sure and, as you say, a larger screen is expected. NFC will be included too, presumably.

Other than that I'm not sure what people expect in hardware advancement - most new whizzy stuff is delivered in software.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A faster processor/GPU and better camera will be the usual bumps I'm sure and, as you say, a larger screen is expected. NFC will be included too, presumably.

Other than that I'm not sure what people expect in hardware advancement - most new whizzy stuff is delivered in software.

They're still expecting a smaller screen than the S3 though, correct? Also, any idea of release date, even vague?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They're still expecting a smaller screen than the S3 though, correct? Also, any idea of release date, even vague?

4" is where the smart money is. I can't see Apple going super-jumbotron like Samsung have.

Any time between late August and October.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
4" is where the smart money is. I can't see Apple going super-jumbotron like Samsung have.

Partly because there are plans afoot for an iPad mini....(?)...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I've just got an S3 on Vodafone after years of iPhone on O2 (admittedly only a 3GS)... I am loving it!

Nothing I have found that I can't do, and it is sooo quick!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've just got an S3 on Vodafone after years of iPhone on O2... I am loving it! Nothing I have found that I can't do, and it is sooo quick!

Hmmmm...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here