Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’m not convinced by this talk of Russia doing badly.

Because that’s not how it’s looking on the ground, is it.

Russia are a well funded, well backed, military power with the capacity to overwhelm Ukraine. And inch by inch it’s doing so.

People need to manage expectations.
But an important point is that even if they WIN the war (which currently looks very unlikely in terms of actually taking all of Ukraine), they will still continue to be having a very bad time in very many ways.

It was a huge error (and mostly likely ultimately fatal IMO) from Putin plain and simple, and there is no way he comes out of this whole thing better than he started it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I think it's remarkable that it's gone through 👍👍
Ukraines future is in the EU, but accession talks won't be able to start until the end of year imho.

Putins frog faced puppet Orban/Hungary is about to assume the rotating presidency for next 6 months, which is madness but reality.

You think the man whose party, Fidesz has the single biggest ad spend on Google in Europe of any entity, in which 50% is spent on soft pro Russian anti EU propaganda advertising is going to allow Ukraine accession talks?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ukraines future is in the EU, but accession talks won't be able to start until the end of year imho.

Putins frog faced puppet Orban/Hungary is about to assume the rotating presidency for next 6 months, which is madness but reality.

You think the man whose party, Fidesz has the single biggest ad spend on Google in Europe of any entity, in which 50% is spent on soft pro Russian anti EU propaganda advertising is going to allow Ukraine accession talks?
I didn't realise Orban was next in line for the presidency. That could be fairly disastrous short term.
Hopefully the protests against him in Hungary will remind him regularly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Extraordinary numbers. 17,000 of those killed were former prisoners, pardoned by Putin in exchange for heading to the front.

As an aside, I didn't know this:

'A later WSJ piece put the finger of blame (on Prigozhin's death) on Nikolai Patrushev'. Who I understand has now been sidelined.
I think I read something later that said it wasn't Putin who killed him. Maybe it was the same source.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Haven't seen the video yet, but that's a huge statement. It's the only thing stopping Moscow being taken within a week.
He seemed to be referring to the tactical battlefield nukes, which would need to be near the Ukraine border to be within range, in which case, Ukraine could get the launchers with ATACMS missiles. Watch from around the 17:00 mark.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He seemed to be referring to the tactical battlefield nukes, which would need to be near the Ukraine border to be within range, in which case, Ukraine could get the launchers with ATACMS missiles. Watch from around the 17:00 mark.
Ah ok. Will do.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Extraordinary numbers. 17,000 of those killed were former prisoners, pardoned by Putin in exchange for heading to the front.

As an aside, I didn't know this:

'A later WSJ piece put the finger of blame (on Prigozhin's death) on Nikolai Patrushev'. Who I understand has now been sidelined.
I think I read something later that said it wasn't Putin who killed him. Maybe it was the same source.
Quite possible I guess. Prigozhin could still have been useful for Putin somehow 🤔

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here