Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Some interesting updates in here:
- the US on the AZOV brigade
- US to send another Patriot system to Ukraine
- lots of other snippets, plus ...
- lets hope the Afd don't get too much power in Germany

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This though from Stoltenberg 👍
Screenshot_2024-06-12-20-57-46-10_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I didn't realise Orban was next in line for the presidency. That could be fairly disastrous short term.
Hopefully the protests against him in Hungary will remind him regularly.
I see that Orban shared a platform with Stoltenberg today where it was announced that Hungary wouldn’t be supporting the NATO effort in Ukraine……..but Hungary would otherwise remain a loyal and committed NATO member. So that’s all right then……

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
le Monde are running with the $50b coming from the interest accrued on frozen Russian assets

Thank you @Scappa.

So rather than G7 leaders agreeing to provide Ukraine with $50 billion of frozen Russian assets, they're going to use the interest on the frozen Russian assets as collateral for a $50 billion loan. This is rather different than reported in the Noelreports twitter feed.

I thought it seemed too good to be true, and it was. It's still good news though.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I see that Orban shared a platform with Stoltenberg today where it was announced that Hungary wouldn’t be supporting the NATO effort in Ukraine……..but Hungary would otherwise remain a loyal and committed NATO member. So that’s all right then……
Nice...stay in NATO in case Putin isn't really your friend...but for the rest...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Thank you @Scappa.

So rather than G7 leaders agreeing to provide Ukraine with $50 billion of frozen Russian assets, they're going to use the interest on the frozen Russian assets as collateral for a $50 billion loan. This is rather different than reported in the Noelreports twitter feed.

I thought it seemed too good to be true, and it was. It's still good news though.
Yes, that makes sense now

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think it's a bloody cheek turning it into a loan they should just be given it. It's the interest, just let Ukraine have it.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood a few days back.
I thought (please correct this anyone 👍) that Ukraine were being given the interest (1-2 billion) by the end of July...but now it seems a different story.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A snippet from Reuters on the G7,re the loan deal to Ukraine:

"A person close to the talks said the point of the deal was to ensure it can run for years regardless of who is in power in each G7 state - a nod to concerns that U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump might be much less favourable to Kyiv if he beats Biden in November."

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

"A person close to the talks said the point of the deal was to ensure it can run for years regardless of who is in power in each G7 state - a nod to concerns that U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump might be much less favourable to Kyiv if he beats Biden in November."

I honestly believe that Trump winning is Purin's only hope now and he is holding out for it.

If Trump loses, Putin has no hope and will fold pretty quickly. If Trump wins Putin will be in a much stronger position and push for a much tougher "peace deal".

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I honestly believe that Trump winning is Purin's only hope now and he is holding out for it.

If Trump loses, Putin has no hope and will fold pretty quickly. If Trump wins Putin will be in a much stronger position and push for a much tougher "peace deal".
That seems a very reasonable view. Does it follow that Putin will be doing everything - everything - he possibly can, to bring about a Trump win?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

I sense that a lot of recent policy announcements, from NATO, to the EU, to the G7, are being made with a view to ringfencing or futureproofing against a Trump win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here