Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Perhaps we should look for signs.

There have been 1.7 million views of the 'Ruble is collapsing' tweet. Is this enough to cause a run on banks?

Then there are the usual bots in the replies, which seem to be saying 'move along - nothing to see here'.

Then there is the gap between presumably no official information and the reality of queues outside banks....

I wouldn't be so sure that this isn't what we have all been hoping for.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Perhaps we should look for signs.

There have been 1.7 million views of the 'Ruble is collapsing' tweet. Is this enough to cause a run on banks?

Then there are the usual bots in the replies, which seem to be saying 'move along - nothing to see here'.

Then there is the gap between presumably no official information and the reality of queues outside banks....

I wouldn't be so sure that this isn't what we have all been hoping for.
Ive read that today Alfa bank, RosBank and Gazprombank were all down and nobody could log in or move any money.

Could be the authorities trying to ensure no run on banks?, could it also be something like a US or Ukrainian DDOS attack on their banks to try and start a public panic run?

Still, it wont be that significant today, but this post today of Myhailo Podolyak (one of Zelenskys key advisors) is pretty encouraging as Podolyak is always pretty straight talking and candid about big picture stuff, both successes and struggles.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Think it was by the enforcer on YouTube check it out posted about three hours ago
I've seen it. Big banks shutting their websites to customers, to preserve liquidity. One quoted $1 to 200 Rubles. Ignore the official rate of $1 to 87 Rubles.

We will see what tomorrow brings, but it's bloody good pre-match entertainment before the Euros start.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ive read that today Alfa bank, RosBank and Gazprombank were all down and nobody could log in or move any money.

Could be the authorities trying to ensure no run on banks?, could it also be something like a US or Ukrainian DDOS attack on their banks to try and start a public panic run?

Still, it wont be that significant today, but this post today of Myhailo Podolyak (one of Zelenskys key advisors) is pretty encouraging as Podolyak is always pretty straight talking and candid about big picture stuff, both successes and struggles.

That was an interesting read.
I noticed his saying that Hungary has decided NOT to block NATO's aid to Ukraine. So, I'm assuming that Hungary has said they don't support it but won't block it 🤔.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I know Trump can always revoke this treaty but hopefully ties US in for next 10 years
Yes, I think it's the best they could do.

It's interesting to me that this highlights somehow how expensive the weaponry is: $61billion one off for weaponry; $50 billion over a number of years for humanitarian, reconstruction, some weaponry etc.
It's not a criticism at all of what's been done, just an observation.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The morning after last night's excitement about the Ruble collapsing, and things are very quiet on Twitter.
To be honest, I'm scratching my head. I don't know what to make of it. It could be that there was no collapse, or it could be Russian smoke and mirrors and a news blackout.

The flatline is yesterday's shutdown. Today it would seem some transactions are making their way through, but no significant movement in the index yet.
One tweeter, claiming to be an ITK finance professional (yes, I know), suggested there would be short-term volatility but in the medium term, they would be OK.

Maybe we shouldn't expect a lot from this, as dollar/euro transactions were not that great in number, Russia having already turned its face towards China and the yuan.

If there's anything worth posting, I'll do it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, I think it's the best they could do.

It's interesting to me that this highlights somehow how expensive the weaponry is: $61billion one off for weaponry; $50 billion over a number of years for humanitarian, reconstruction, some weaponry etc.
It's not a criticism at all of what's been done, just an observation.
Yeah all the numbers are just unthinkably big, aren't they?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ukraine needs to find out the route those containers are planned to take to get to the front. By rail along the Trans-Siberian railway? Overland by road (is there a road)? By sea around the Arctic? By sea to Iran and the up to the Caspian Sea and then via the Volga and Don?

No doubt the Americans can lend a hand with satellite imagery etc.

Edit: my money is on the railway.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here