Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He is in his last permitted term of Presidency ( although he could in theory run again in 2032 ), and is in office until 2027 so he's got a pretty free hand to take a firm position if he wants.
So you think the French public would be against his strong position?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So you think the French public would be against his strong position?
Does it matter as much to him? Whether he does or doesnt, hes not up for re-election and cant serve again, so he's not beholden to voters in same way as he was pre election.
I'd guess he would see a Ukraine win as a real legacy?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does it matter as much to him? Whether he does or doesnt, hes not up for re-election and cant serve again, so he's not beholden to voters in same way as he was pre election.
I'd guess he would see a Ukraine win as a real legacy?
I'd have thought a Ukraine win would be good whether he could stand again or not.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Mmm, attacks on NATO soil 🤔
What will they lead to?

Tbf to our Russian friends, they do have a bit of previous. Bringing a nerve agent and deploying it in Salisbury was quite a biggie, even if they were visiting the world famous cathedral spire at the time.

I do think the war is changing though. It's evolving into something more hybrid. Russia, unable to expand its footprint in Ukraine, is making its presence felt in wider Europe, with threats, sabotage, cyber attacks, bribery of politicians etc.

I've yet to decide whether this is actually good news (i.e. a tacit admission that they cannot make further progress in Ukraine). Glass half full etc.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
What will they lead to?

Tbf to our Russian friends, they do have a bit of previous. Bringing a nerve agent and deploying it in Salisbury was quite a biggie, even if they were visiting the world famous cathedral spire at the time.

I do think the war is changing though. It's evolving into something more hybrid. Russia, unable to expand its footprint in Ukraine, is making its presence felt in wider Europe, with threats, sabotage, cyber attacks, bribery of politicians etc.

I've yet to decide whether this is actually good news (i.e. a tacit admission that they cannot make further progress in Ukraine). Glass half full etc.
I think we may begin to see an escalation of the seriousness of such events in certain European countries: Serbia, Moldova, Slovakia, the Baltics perhaps... those countries containing some Russian leaning people/politicians or native Russian speakers.
It will all be dressed up to look like purely local criminality or a reaction to "anti Russian" sentiments.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here's an interview with a US medic who works on the front line in Ukraine. He's an engaging character, answering questions about the real medical situation, his motivation, strengths and weaknesses of the armies, perception of Russian propaganda in the US etc. It's about 40 minutes... I found it interesting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A removal of Orban would work wonders for the European effort.

Although sadly the rise of several far right parties in the European elections, many if not all backed financially in some way by the Kremlin, will put further constraints on it.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Although sadly the rise of several far right parties in the European elections, many if not all backed financially in some way by the Kremlin, will put further constraints on it.
Is there any proof of this as I don’t see Holland going down this path. Maybe Europeans are pissed of with immigration eroding there values just look at Sweden who seem to be over run with gun crime etc through there open door policy.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is there any proof of this as I don’t see Holland going down this path. Maybe Europeans are pissed of with immigration eroding there values just look at Sweden who seem to be over run with gun crime etc through there open door policy.
The Dutch are going further right pretty much exclusively due to a historical VERY Dutch “love and let live” attitude towards immigration. That is beyond question. Even the sitting government acknowledge a problem in that regard.

The difference between our countries is they are taking more than their fare share, well beyond the death rate of the populace.

The right wing have made strong ground because nobody is listening to the public about this. It’s not like us in terms of needing NHS employees desperately.

They are seeing cities overrun and are rebelling with their vote.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham

What a stroke of luck, to have the Russians liberate your country from the nazis ! The words 'frying pan' and 'fire'...............

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What a stroke of luck, to have the Russians liberate your country from the nazis !
It’s strange that they have such short memories.
On my visits to Hungary, the people I met seemed to be glad to have shaken off the past and I was encouraged to visit the terror museum.
The main gist seemed to be that they thought things were terrible under German occupation, but their “liberation” by Russia turned out to be far worse.
It might be just the folk you meet as a tourist are those with the more open views, though, as I found similar rejection of the communist era in St Petersburg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here