Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I would throw every Russian and Belarussian sports person out of every world sports competition if I had the power. But the
sports bodies feel it's unfair to mix sport with politics. But let's forget about the Ukrainian and Russian athletes (in fairness) killed in action
in this ridiculous war shall we.
Would you think it fair if you travelled to Europe and every hotel, shop and restaurant refused you service, calling you a Brexity Wanker?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would you think it fair if you travelled to Europe and every hotel, shop and restaurant refused you service, calling you a Brexity Wanker?
Listen, I’m incredibly anti-Brexit but even I will admit it wasn’t as bad as invading Ukraine

papachris

Steve Rosenberg walks his tightrope. I hope Alexandra stays safe and can reopen her library 🤞🏻
BBC News - 'Russia now is like 1984': Inside a Russian dystopian library - BBC News
I do worry for Steve Rosenberg. An incredibly difficult and potentially dangerous job

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I do worry for Steve Rosenberg. An incredibly difficult and potentially dangerous job
Yes, indeed. I think he's had enough experience to know the limits...but he seems to push the boundaries more. But that's good, I reckon, the worse that will happen is he'll be kicked out.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he has some 'friends' in high places there.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I think it’s maybe because Russians shouldn’t be allowed out of their cesspit of a country until their Dictatorship stops killing raping and bombing innocents
Might send a message to ordinary Russians - what do you reckon?
But probably not seeing as even people here don’t see anything wrong with it! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Try explaining that to obvious dullards Nobby.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
From the Washington Post:
"Russia is co-opting far-right politicians in Europe with cash, officials say. Our colleagues Catherine Belton and Souad Mekhennet report that a Kremlin-backed media outlet, the Prague-based Voice of Europe, is being used to funnel hundreds of thousands of euros to dozens of far-right politicians in more than five countries to plant Kremlin propaganda in Western media that would sow division in Europe and bolster the position of pro-Russian candidates in this week’s European Parliament elections, according to interviews with a dozen European intelligence officials from five countries. "

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
From the Washington Post:
"Russia is co-opting far-right politicians in Europe with cash, officials say. Our colleagues Catherine Belton and Souad Mekhennet report that a Kremlin-backed media outlet, the Prague-based Voice of Europe, is being used to funnel hundreds of thousands of euros to dozens of far-right politicians in more than five countries to plant Kremlin propaganda in Western media that would sow division in Europe and bolster the position of pro-Russian candidates in this week’s European Parliament elections, according to interviews with a dozen European intelligence officials from five countries. "
I remember an article from the Royal United Services Institute back in 2022. It suggested that as Russia was struggling in the ground war, we should expect it to develop alternative fronts - cyber warfare, sabotage, foment political unrest etc. How right they were.

Incoming.....

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The war just came a bit closer - France, Britain and Norway search for Russian submarine off Ireland's west coast.

European intelligence agencies believe that Russia is preparing acts of sabotage in EU member states in the lead up to the European elections on June 7th.
One area of concern is the west coast of Ireland, which 'is a “central node” in a network of sub-sea cables crossing the globe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here