Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I hear that Orban met Zelensky today, urging for peace. Possibly a sign of the direction of his stint as EU president, though his will hopefully be a lone voice.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
If Orban’s serious about seeking peace, he should be talking to Russia’s great Tsar.

Conceding all stolen land and paying for Ukraine’s restoration should merely be a starting point, but Ukraine needs SO much more than that.

Repairing / restoring infrastructure is one thing. Repairing millions of destroyed lives I fear is quite simply non achievable.

I am completely and utterly at a loss for words. My heart goes out to the gallant people of Ukraine, in their fight against Russian subjugation. Slava Ukraini !

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I have long wondered if the thing that will stop the war is not some kind of peace initiative, but simply if Russia runs out of money to wage it.

In Joe Blogs' latest video, an exiled Russian economist suggests Russia will run out of reserves in 5.5 months, and that Russia has no viable plan to grow the economy to continue to fund its war: (the most relevant bit is from about 12:15 onwards)

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I have long wondered if the thing that will stop the war is not some kind of peace initiative, but simply if Russia runs out of money to wage it.

In Joe Blogs' latest video, an exiled Russian economist suggests Russia will run out of reserves in 5.5 months, and that Russia has no viable plan to grow the economy to continue to fund its war: (the most relevant bit is from about 12:15 onwards)

It's interesting thanks, but I'm less optimistic than the author.

Firstly, I've become very wary of these exiled Russians: Milov now lives in Lithuania, and is likely slanting his figures to suit his western audience.

Even if it's as bad as he says, I'm sure Russia can borrow a chunk of money when needed - from China, African nations etc...sadly it still has friends.

Thirdly, Putin is looking at the short term, banking on a Trump victory.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Others on here are in a better position than me to define what an acceptable peace for Ukraine will look like.

But if I were Ukrainian, and had experienced life under Russian occupation, I would say that peace would not involve a negotiated outcome. No input from Russia. None.
Russia forfeited any right to a place at the negotiating table, a long, long time ago.

Instead, peace would involve an absolute, rock solid security guarantee that the neighbouring beast could not possibly be able to repeat its actions, ever again. That means the Russian economy must be disabled, perhaps by means of permanent sanctions, and real, verifiable change in the toxic Moscow regime.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Others on here are in a better position than me to define what an acceptable peace for Ukraine will look like.

But if I were Ukrainian, and had experienced life under Russian occupation, I would say that peace would not involve a negotiated outcome. No input from Russia. None.
Russia forfeited any right to a place at the negotiating table, a long, long time ago.

Instead, peace would involve an absolute, rock solid security guarantee that the neighbouring beast could not possibly be able to repeat its actions, ever again. That means the Russian economy must be disabled, perhaps by means of permanent sanctions, and real, verifiable change in the toxic Moscow regime.
Correct.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Big Bavovna in Tambov (c.400km from Ukraine border) at a gunpowder plant.

Play the video. Stop it at 19 seconds, just before the end. The bank of white/grey cloud turns brilliant white in what looks like a secondary explosion, many times the size of the initial one.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Play the video. Stop it at 19 seconds, just before the end. The bank of white/grey cloud turns brilliant white in what looks like a secondary explosion, many times the size of the initial one.

They do have a habit of shooting down all the drones, but one still unluckily falls on its target 😉

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Putin attempts to rewrite history, claiming that his three day SMO became a 3 year slog, due to Western duplicity despite Russian integrity.

This is truly mind-bending. Enjoy.

Wow, what a team of script writers.
Talking of duplicity...he forgot to mention that they stated many times that they would not invade. More comedy please.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That prick must spend so much time rehearsing his fantasy stories than doing anything
else.
Time using public money at the expense of the Russian people.

The expenditure of a wartime economy. For what?
The waste, of a needless war, killing thousands of Ukrainians, not to mention Russians. For what?
The insane lies to justify the enormous expenditure and waste. For what? To save his own skin.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Putin attempts to rewrite history, claiming that his three day SMO became a 3 year slog, due to Western duplicity despite Russian integrity.

This is truly mind-bending. Enjoy.

For those looking for a full breakdown of Russia's SMO incompetence, this should help,

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Time using public money at the expense of the Russian people.

The expenditure of a wartime economy. For what?
The waste, of a needless war, killing thousands of Ukrainians, not to mention Russians. For what?
The insane lies to justify the enormous expenditure and waste. For what? To save his own skin.
Do you think he actually believes this crap or just happy to spout it knowing the majority of Russians will believe it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here