Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Robot wars soon.
I hope that means we get the fragrant Philippa Forrester in some tight leather trousers again like last time

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I haven't been able to research the truth of Serbia selling shells to Ukraine, but... let's hope it's true 🙂
Screenshot_2024-06-25-09-37-02-59_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I haven't been able to research the truth of Serbia selling shells to Ukraine, but... let's hope it's true 🙂
View attachment 184651
If true I’d have thought it’s significant. I assumed that Serbia had continued to maintain reasonably close ties with Russia, albeit covertly. I know that Serbia (perhaps surprisingly) supported the UN resolution that condemned the Russian invasion, but supplying arms to Ukraine takes it to a different level. Probably signals Serbia’s desire to join the EU?

In other news today I see that ICC has issued arrest warrants for Shoigu and Gerisimov. Oh and the Russian ambassador to the UN has strongly condemned the recent ‘US aided’ bombing of Sevastopol - perhaps they should leave Crimea to avoid similar events

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If true I’d have thought it’s significant. I assumed that Serbia had continued to maintain reasonably close ties with Russia, albeit covertly. I know that Serbia (perhaps surprisingly) supported the UN resolution that condemned the Russian invasion, but supplying arms to Ukraine takes it to a different level. Probably signals Serbia’s desire to join the EU?

In other news today I see that ICC has issued arrest warrants for Shoigu and Gerisimov. Oh and the Russian ambassador to the UN has strongly condemned the recent ‘US aided’ bombing of Sevastopol - perhaps they should leave Crimea to avoid similar events
Yes, quite possibly their EU candidacy.

All European countries, plus US, should have called in their Russian ambassadors daily for what they did in Mariupol, Bucha ...

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Yes, quite possibly their EU candidacy.

All European countries, plus US, should have called in their Russian ambassadors daily for what they did in Mariupol, Bucha ...
But Russia says that was stage managed by Ukraine using actors, nothing to do with them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A question from a US Defense Department briefing. There was confirmation that North Korea announced they would be sending military 'engineers' to Donetsk region at Russia's request. Here's hoping they all die.

"A quick follow-up – North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month. How do you assess about the rapid situation in which North Korea and Russia are moving toward Ukraine?"

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A question from a US Defense Department briefing. There was confirmation that North Korea announced they would be sending military 'engineers' to Donetsk region at Russia's request. Here's hoping they all die.

"A quick follow-up – North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month. How do you assess about the rapid situation in which North Korea and Russia are moving toward Ukraine?"
First, it tells me that Ukraine is winning! Whatever Ukraine is doing, keep doing it.

Second, it tells me that Russia is scraping the barrel. Desperate, beyond a level that perhaps anyone had realised. Is Russia out of troops, missiles or both?
I'm not sure what 'military engineers' means, and I'm not sure that North Korean military engineers are going to be an asset to Russia. Perhaps they are going there to learn from Russia, in which case it is something to worry about..

Third, I'm wondering what the implications are for China-Russia relations? I've heard that the Chinese are upset with the result of Russia and North Korea alliance, with South Korea getting even more concerned than usual about N. Korea. This is not in China's interests.

There is a lot to consider, but I wouldn't necessarily assess the news as bad news...

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
First, it tells me that Ukraine is winning! Whatever Ukraine is doing, keep doing it.

Second, it tells me that Russia is scraping the barrel. Desperate, beyond a level that perhaps anyone had realised. Is Russia out of troops, missiles or both?
I'm not sure what 'military engineers' means, and I'm not sure that North Korean military engineers are going to be an asset to Russia. Perhaps they are going there to learn from Russia, in which case it is something to worry about..

Third, I'm wondering what the implications are for China-Russia relations? I've heard that the Chinese are upset with the result of Russia and North Korea alliance, with South Korea getting even more concerned than usual about N. Korea. This is not in China's interests.

There is a lot to consider, but I wouldn't necessarily assess the news as bad news...
Definitely. It's a mix. may be partly propaganda, to 'frighten' both the west and South Korea. Worth keeping an eye out for though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

NATO should send troops in to fight against North Korea.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
From the Guardian. I'm surprised to read that Russia had any Human Rights Reps to send to the meeting.
"Representatives of Russia’s and Ukraine’s human rights offices held a meeting for the first time during an exchange of prisoners of war on Tuesday, Kyiv said. The two countries each released 90 captured soldiers in a deal brokered by the United Arab Emirates, the latest in more than 50 prisoner exchanges that have taken place throughout the war. But it was the first time Russia had agreed to hold a direct meeting between human rights representatives during the exchange, Ukraine’s human rights commissioner Dmytro Lubinets told AFP."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here