Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Threatening Finland if they join NATO. He won't be stopped.

https://ria.ru/20220225/nato-1775114040.html

This is the next step we don't need, he is on a mission of self destruction, and clearly lost the plot.

We cannot and should not be dictated too, no country can dictate or interfere with others wishes.

He has seriously crossed the line, he is now pulling his pants down and waving his flaccid member at us.....

A clear "FECK YOU ALL" is the message.

We will have to put boots on the ground at some point, it is inevitable.
I have a feeling Poland will be dragged into this somehow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Obviously. As is any commentary on the situation.

I'm not for a second saying absolutely every single bullet point is going to come true. But if you read through it, is a logical and (fairly) reassuring read.

That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

worth noting the wierdness of point 5. China cant step in to help any energy needs. highlight this as the west can easily solve the energy problems by re-licencing fracking for oil/gas short term, embracing nuclear long term. its largly due to our own policies restricting the global supply and Europe becoming so dependent on Russian gas.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That tweet is one man's view.

There are so many variables here, its impossible to know what's going to happen. If you look at how it has unfolded so far, its hard to see how anyone could've actively predicted it. Market swings have been wild to say the least.

As I'm typing I'm reading all sorts of conflicting stories on my Bloomberg screens. It's hard to know what's true and what isn't.

Markets up, oil down is the best parameter for me. Chine apparently now saying they are restricting financing for Russian commodities - not the message we were getting earlier!

Here’s the article;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...inancing-for-russian-commodities?srnd=premium

‘China State Banks Restrict Financing for Russian Commodities’

For those like Donald Trump and his supporters who like to blame the world’s ills on China it is a timely reminder of that country’s focus on economic rather than military expansion.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...18ec83980bea49f4b79f30&pinned_post_type=share

The Russian president is now speaking, and appears to be calling on Ukrainian servicemen to turn on their government.

Sure that will go down well.

Its much worse then you imagine, he has clearly lost the plot entirely.

Not only does he say to turn on governement, he says that the Ukrainian deaths is from "banderas" fighting neo nazis (i.e ukrainians are killing themselves), he asks the Ukrainian military to turn on the Banderas and druggies who have stolen power in Ukraine and sit atop the government, as he can relate and engage with more, those who may turn on on neo nazis rather than the banderas in the Zelenskiy governement.

He's literally crazy or seriously deluded

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Busy to the north and particularly the south…

50BC411F-934C-46CB-8FCC-6A7E586DDD9E.jpeg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Just for context re Putins call for Ukrainian troops to turn on the Banderas and neo nazi in government. Its very much a racist Russian slur to call pro ukrainian nationalists Banderas.

Stepan Bandera is revered as a hero in much of Ukraine for fighting the Soviets, he did collaborate with Nazi germany in WW2 but was 100% not a supporter of Germany or their ideology, though Russians call him a Nazi. It was the Germans who arrested him for re-declaring the Ukrainian homeland. His sole goal was to remove the Soviets by any means. He is reviled by Russians.

Its a very emotive term to Russian speakers, almsot certainly said to deliberately stir those emotions.

Zelenskiy is a Ukrainian Jew. Its ludicrous to suggest he is a Jewish neo nazi

Zelens

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This is the next step we don't need, he is on a mission of self destruction, and clearly lost the plot.

We cannot and should not be dictated too, no country can dictate or interfere with others wishes.

He has seriously crossed the line, he is now pulling his pants down and waving his flaccid member at us.....

A clear "FECK YOU ALL" is the message.

We will have to put boots on the ground at some point, it is inevitable.
I have a feeling Poland will be dragged into this somehow.

It’s an empty threat regards NATO. Neither country has ever expressed an interest in joining so he’s talking out of his arse.

The fact that he hasn’t taken Ukraine indicates that it’s not going to plan. The call for the Ukrainians to join him is ****ing funny if it wasn’t so sad. You can come up with that bollocks when dealing with your own people, when you have the secret police on the street but it isn’t going to work on a country you are invading, with a people who think you are a ****.

I reckon he has seriously misjudged the room and it’s only just dawning on him ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Hopefully we dont join NATO as it is an act of aggression and I dont like war.

The Finnish people absolutely do not want to join NATO so it will be trouble on many levels if they do.

That’s the point. It’s an empty threat as they have never shown any desire to join. He’s sounding just a bit desperate ….

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It’s an empty threat regards NATO. Neither country has ever expressed an interest in joining so he’s talking out of his arse.

The fact that he hasn’t taken Ukraine indicates that it’s not going to plan. The call for the Ukrainians to join him is ****ing funny if it wasn’t so sad. You can come up with that bollocks when dealing with your own people, when you have the secret police on the street but it isn’t going to work on a country you are invading, with a people who think you are a ****.

I reckon he has seriously misjudged the room and it’s only just dawning on him ….

Indeed. A number of commentators with far greater understanding of the situation than me have suggested that Putin’s current play only works if he takes Kyiv and then Ukraine very, very quickly. And that so far, he’s been a lot less successful/come up against sterner resistance than expected.

If the attack runs out of steam, he will find greater resistance at home, and ultimately our best bet is for the Russian people to turn on him fully.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its much worse then you imagine, he has clearly lost the plot entirely.

Not only does he say to turn on governement, he says that the Ukrainian deaths is from "banderas" fighting neo nazis (i.e ukrainians are killing themselves), he asks the Ukrainian military to turn on the Banderas and druggies who have stolen power in Ukraine and sit atop the government, as he can relate and engage with more, those who may turn on on neo nazis rather than the banderas in the Zelenskiy governement.

He's literally crazy or seriously deluded

I vote literally crazy.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Indeed. A number of commentators with far greater understanding of the situation than me have suggested that Putin’s current play only works if he takes Kyiv and then Ukraine very, very quickly. And that so far, he’s been a lot less successful/come up against sterner resistance than expected.

If the attack runs out of steam, he will find greater resistance at home, and ultimately our best bet is for the Russian people to turn on him fully.

Kyiv will fall but the Ukraine will not. This has guerrilla war written all over it and it will be long and unfortunately bloody.

The airport should have fallen within hours especially as helicopters and paratroopers were used. It has only just fallen. The fact that Russian state media claims that 200 Ukraine special forces died with no Russian losses is farcical in the extreme because that just doesn’t happen. If it did then the airport would have fallen by 10:00 on Thursday morning.
It all smacks very much of ‘****, it’s not going to plan’.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hopefully we dont join NATO as it is an act of aggression and I dont like war.

I'm glad you don't like war, nobody should.

Joining NATO is not an act of aggression though, unlike, say, gathering nearly a hundred thousand troops on your neighbours border under false pretences, and then invading them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My other half is Swedish and has no problem with joining NATO, as it's not an act of 'aggression', you silly boy.

Clearly, you didn't have enough sleep.

Doesnt surprise me - about 50% of the Swedes are willing to join NATO. Unthinkable 30 years ago but we've been Americanized and seen enough Hollywood movies to join some imperialist neo-colonialist military alliance.

I wouldnt be surprised if we joined (eventually).

Finland is an entirely different question. A big majority there dont want NATO.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Doesnt surprise me - about 50% of the Swedes are willing to join NATO. Unthinkable 30 years ago but we've been Americanized and seen enough Hollywood movies to join some imperialist neo-colonialist military alliance.

I won't engage further with you, as you're off your rocker. Enjoy your spliffs and conspiracy theories. :facepalm:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I dont know if this is OK [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] or any of the thread mods. If some here wanted to try and do a little to help Ukraine? or if this could sit at the top of thread? (if not i understand)

There is a multi currency fund raiser being run by the Ukrainian governement bank, its raised 30,000000 UAH about 750k GBP, all monies will go to support the Ukrainian miltiary to support their efforts, including their humanitarian aid, it is genuine.

View attachment 145484

https://bank.gov.ua/ua/news/all/natsionalniy-bank-vidkriv-spetsrahunok-dlya-zboru-koshtiv-na-potrebi-armiyi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here