Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Russia is ready to send diplomats to Minsk for talks with Ukraine, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has said.

According to the Interfax news agency, Peskkov said Vladimir Putin was ready to send officials from the Kremlin, defence and foreign affairs ministries for talks in the Belarusian capital to discuss “the neutral status of Ukraine”, adding that Ukraine’s “demilitarisation and denazification” were an essential part of this neutral status.

Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy earlier in the day urged Russia to start negotiations, although it is unclear under which terms he would be ready to talk.

Putin’s entirely unfounded claim that Ukraine is under Nazi rule is a key part of the Kremlin’s justification for war.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
It may save some lives but Russia will lie nonstop at that meeting. I believe they want to eliminate the current leadership of Ukraine...even if they now surrender.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely when Russia public see soldiers returning in body bags more chance of protesters taking to streets.
Sadly Putin has mobile crematoriums with his army so the troops will be officially "missing" not dead.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Interior Ministry adviser Vadym Denysenko says 18,000 machine guns "have been handed out in Kyiv to all volunteers, all those who want to defend our capital with weapons in their arms".

"Ukrainian military equipment is entering Kyiv now to defend it. I am asking all residents of Kyiv - please do not film it, do not film its movements. This is necessary to protect our city."

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Surely when Russia public see soldiers returning in body bags more chance of protesters taking to streets.

They won't. They've got mobile truck crematoriums. Saw yesterday on Ukrainian news site.

Obviously planning ahead to avoid the negative PR. Burn the fallen, then claim they were abducted by fascist aliens on state TV

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Hopefully Gene Haas, a proud American will be doing everything to kick the Mazepin's out of his team. This may be helped by sanctions in Haas having the confidence to tear up the contracts. An oligarch close to Putin having his son kicked out of the sport may well be the kind of big hits against the oligarchs that have them turning against their leader.

I hope so too...but then Haas will be looking over his shoulder for years, fearing being taken out. It's how they operate nowadays,... don't let them in in the first place.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
An update from our friends in Zaporozhye this a.m. Internet coverage frequently down due to cyber attacks. Many cashpoints have run out of money, banks are closed, businesses only accepting cash for food purchases etc.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I’ll let you in on something, this “weapon” was entirely defensive on the ships are served on [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
97c17469be61a496aa5d25f091b99bed.jpg

Lovely bit of kit[emoji1303]

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sky journalist asked a question re the defence secretaries Tonto comments and has the Russian foreign ministry spokesperson well rattled. Talking about all the deaths Ukraine have killed in the last 14 years.

It was an extraordinary exchange

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It may save some lives but Russia will lie nonstop at that meeting. I believe they want to eliminate the current leadership of Ukraine...even if they now surrender.

There is simply no way Ukraine can sit down in aggresor country Belarus (Minsk) nor be a part of any talks on the false basis of "denazification".

Putin will NOT remove all his troops and leave Ukraine as sovereign as it was last week.

He will demand his land corridor, control of water to Crimea, enlarged puppet statelet of DNR/LNR including Mariupol.

That his proxy puppets can veto any federal decisions that will also include joining EU.

And to have no defence whatsoever, so if ever the puppets don't work, or he doesn't like anything, he can waltz back in un challenged. That's the end of sovereignty.

Plus it would give Putin a victory for what is
an unjustified and murderous attack of a peaceful nation on the basis of lies and fabrications.

And with so many Ukrainians having given their lives already to defend their nation, it would likely collapse the government anyway.

It's not possible.

That said, if talks were agreed in a neutral place on the basis of a temporary cease fire, they could try and rearm, rest a day or two.

Record the Russians lies, challenge them at the meeting about all their lies, murder of innocents and attack of an entirely peaceful nation. Get all that in the public domain.

Before fighting for every inch of ground, hand to hand if required to remove invading Putin troops from their country.

This is Putin's perfect scenario, they cannot give it him.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
[TWEET]1497114464176463880[/TWEET]

Plenty of conjecture in here, sure, but this seems like a well-reasoned thread, and in some ways reassuring layout of how things may go from here...

That tweet is one man's view.

There are so many variables here, its impossible to know what's going to happen. If you look at how it has unfolded so far, its hard to see how anyone could've actively predicted it. Market swings have been wild to say the least.

As I'm typing I'm reading all sorts of conflicting stories on my Bloomberg screens. It's hard to know what's true and what isn't.

Markets up, oil down is the best parameter for me. Chine apparently now saying they are restricting financing for Russian commodities - not the message we were getting earlier!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Moldova says ship in 'neutral' Black Sea hit by unknown missile

Moldova’s national naval agency has said a ship in “neutral waters” of the Black Sea has been hit by a missile, leaving two crew members seriously injured, Associated Press reports.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ukrainian officials have said that higher than usual radiation levels have been detected in the area near the old Chernobyl nuclear plant, scene of the world’s worst nuclear disaster.

After Russia said it had taken control of the plant, Ukraine’s State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate reported on Friday higher gamma radiation levels had been detected in the Chernobyl zone. It said the levels were “not critical”, but didn’t provide details of the increase, Associated Press and Reuters reported

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Ukrainian officials have said that higher than usual radiation levels have been detected in the area near the old Chernobyl nuclear plant, scene of the world’s worst nuclear disaster.

After Russia said it had taken control of the plant, Ukraine’s State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate reported on Friday higher gamma radiation levels had been detected in the Chernobyl zone. It said the levels were “not critical”, but didn’t provide details of the increase, Associated Press and Reuters reported

The most likely explanation, she says, is increased movement of people and vehicles in the 4,000 square km Chernobyl exclusion zone has kicked up radioactive dust that is usually undisturbed on the ground.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...18da64ec502b53cd47f9bb&pinned_post_type=share

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Nicely done Man U

[tweet]1497217277753704457[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That tweet is one man's view.

Obviously. As is any commentary on the situation.

I'm not for a second saying absolutely every single bullet point is going to come true. But if you read through it, is a logical and (fairly) reassuring read.

That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here