Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
How are those Russian people involved in this ?

I said it was a futile gesture.

But the only thing I can do.

It is worth pointing out though that many professional service multi nationals have offices in Moscow and St Petersburg yet that seems to be out of the firing line at the moment. I work on a CSR project with 350 + athletes across the globe. It is interesting that they are now looking at their own sponsorship deals and seeing if they can put reverse pressure on any with operations in Russia.

It is simplistic, but its a quick way to try and make your point.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well done EU. Lets immediately follow suit.

"EU to freeze European assets held by Putin and Lavrov
We've just got some news in: an official for the EU says the bloc has decided to freeze European assets held by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

It's unclear however if either man holds significant assets in the EU.

“Sergi, is your Boots rewards card still working?”
“No comrade!”
“Same here, FFS.”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course I dont know what we're doing, but we have constantly advertised we are only giving defensive lethal force. Like stinger or anti tank missiles.

They need offensive lethal force to attack the russian positions, and whilst we may be doing that covertly, the facts on the ground, plus Ukrainian governement pleading for more weapons suggest we're all not doing enough in this extreme hour of need.

let you in on something, there's no difference between "defensive" and "offensive" weapons. its just called that to say you're not arming them. there are defensive and offensive tactics, how you use those weapons.

any weapons need to be delivered, distibuted to units trained in their use. we're 36hrs in, there have been transports from Turkey and Poland in that time.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
let you in on something, there's no difference between "defensive" and "offensive" weapons. its just called that to say you're not arming them. there are defensive and offensive tactics, how you use those weapons.

any weapons need to be delivered, distibuted to units trained in their use. we're 36hrs in, there have been transports from Turkey and Poland in that time.

I’ll let you in on something, this “weapon” was entirely defensive on the ships are served on [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
97c17469be61a496aa5d25f091b99bed.jpg

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I said it was a futile gesture.

But the only thing I can do.

It is worth pointing out though that many professional service multi nationals have offices in Moscow and St Petersburg yet that seems to be out of the firing line at the moment. I work on a CSR project with 350 + athletes across the globe. It is interesting that they are now looking at their own sponsorship deals and seeing if they can put reverse pressure on any with operations in Russia.

It is simplistic, but its a quick way to try and make your point.

many small actions of principle still make a larger action. I commend you sir, we all feel powerless, but you did what you could

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Horrifying !, I'm genuinely surprised though that there is so little footage of the conflict in the public domain given the huge number of camera phones these days ?

Agreed, that’s why i asked earlier for best coverage. Sky news and CNN both seem very tame and you wouldn’t know just how severe it is from just those alone. Where’s all the public footage?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Agreed, that’s why i asked earlier for best coverage. Sky news and CNN both seem very tame and you wouldn’t know just how severe it is from just those alone. Where’s all the public footage?

The Ukrainian authorities have asked Kiev residents not to film their movement of hardware into the capital. They don’t want to help the Russians.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There seems to be an misunderstanding from some quarters that we can wrestle control of this situation; we can’t. Sanctions will not halt Putin’s invasion of Ukraine; he will have been well prepared for those. We cannot put troops on the ground in Ukraine because, as you suggest, a meeting of western and Russian forces will lead to WW3.

What happens beyond there is up to Putin. He can do as he sees fit with Ukraine; the spectre of nuclear war will ultimately prevent anyone other than Ukraine’s own forces from intervening, and they are aren’t capable of defending their country against Russia’s massive army alone.

If he wishes to proceed into NATO territory, under any narrative whatsoever, then we’re going to have WW3 and we’re going to have nuclear war regardless. Until then, other than issue sanctions which will barely bloody Russia’s nose, the world can but watch and wait.

The west doesn’t want a world war. You would hope Putin doesn’t either, because it will mean the obliteration of his country and his people as well as ours and those of our allies. But no one other than Putin and perhaps select few know what his end game is. Maybe it’s not as extreme as many of us fear. Maybe this will ‘only’ end up being Ukraine’s problem.

Or maybe not. I know this; trying to guess what’s going on by applying the kind of civilian logic you or I possess is most likely folly. History has taught us that dictators do not play by those rules and ideologies.
Putin has nowhere near a big enough army to go further into Europe at this time. His supply lines would be vaporised.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah fair enough, makes sense. I knew there would be a reason why we are seeing very little footage .
It may sound horrible because every soldier is some mothers son but, would like to know if Ukrainian forces are inflicting damage...the more damage the more the pressure mounts in Putin.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't know a lot about this but say NATO had a little nibble back at Russia and Putin got the hump, being the mad man he is and worse case scenario he decided it was time for the nukes....... Is that it? Or would Russia have people to put the brakes on it?
Surely one nutter can't devastate the world.
Putin is a mad man.

But his crazed rhetoric of insanity is an act.

It is deliberate psychological warfare.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Russia is ready to send diplomats to Minsk for talks with Ukraine, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has said.

According to the Interfax news agency, Peskkov said Vladimir Putin was ready to send officials from the Kremlin, defence and foreign affairs ministries for talks in the Belarusian capital to discuss “the neutral status of Ukraine”, adding that Ukraine’s “demilitarisation and denazification” were an essential part of this neutral status.

Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy earlier in the day urged Russia to start negotiations, although it is unclear under which terms he would be ready to talk.

Putin’s entirely unfounded claim that Ukraine is under Nazi rule is a key part of the Kremlin’s justification for war.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
There seems to be an misunderstanding from some quarters that we can wrestle control of this situation; we can’t. Sanctions will not halt Putin’s invasion of Ukraine; he will have been well prepared for those. We cannot put troops on the ground in Ukraine because, as you suggest, a meeting of western and Russian forces will lead to WW3.

What happens beyond there is up to Putin. He can do as he sees fit with Ukraine; the spectre of nuclear war will ultimately prevent anyone other than Ukraine’s own forces from intervening, and they are aren’t capable of defending their country against Russia’s massive army alone.

If he wishes to proceed into NATO territory, under any narrative whatsoever, then we’re going to have WW3 and we’re going to have nuclear war regardless. Until then, other than issue sanctions which will barely bloody Russia’s nose, the world can but watch and wait.

The west doesn’t want a world war. You would hope Putin doesn’t either, because it will mean the obliteration of his country and his people as well as ours and those of our allies. But no one other than Putin and perhaps select few know what his end game is. Maybe it’s not as extreme as many of us fear. Maybe this will ‘only’ end up being Ukraine’s problem.

Or maybe not. I know this; trying to guess what’s going on by applying the kind of civilian logic you or I possess is most likely folly. History has taught us that dictators do not play by those rules and ideologies.

This absolutely terrifies me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1497114464176463880[/TWEET]

Plenty of conjecture in here, sure, but this seems like a well-reasoned thread, and in some ways reassuring layout of how things may go from here...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here