Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
that is not how you influence and win over next generation. point out that not all Russians, even oligarchs, are necessarily pro-Putin.

It does not usually work though, Fat Boy in North Korea had private education in Europe, Switzerland I think, President Assad's wife was born and raised in the UK to Syrian parents .. both of them have no qualms now about what happens in the family business.

Oh and another one, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum of Dubai was partially educated in the UK. He's had no problem with kidnapping and abducting his West leaning daughters

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
that is not how you influence and win over next generation. point out that not all Russians, even oligarchs, are necessarily pro-Putin.

I fully understand your alternative argument, fully, I've even argued with myself about it. But for many years we've been educating the next generations of Russians in our public schools...and look where we are today? I still think that if we want to sanction Russia and show the oligarchs where the actions of their leader have brought them to, and to demonstrate what isolation could mean...it's a valid option. Maybe it will upset them and their families more than some other sanctions. might.

What gets me with all this Russian propaganda about Ukraine leading the fighting is ,its tantamount to believing ,an albion supporter standing in the middle of the home end at the Den and threatens to take on the whole stand expecting to defeat them all. It aint gonner happen no matter how "hard" the albion fan is.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would check out who owns the Evening Standard if I were you.

that would be the anti-Putin Russian Lebedev family. ees complicated. been reading similar view from many sources for many weeks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
that would be the anti-Putin Russian Lebedev family. ees complicated. been reading similar view from many sources for many weeks.

Son of an ex-KGB officer I believe, although most Western Security services say there is no such thing as "Ex KGB " ....very pally with Mr Johnson, lots of great parties at his private villa, you will probably have seen the reports about Johnson visibly the worse for wear, with no security detail, flying back to London a few years back ? marvellous opportunity for some Kompromat. You would not have got that with May or Cameron.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin working on multiple levels now to get his war started.

Shelling from the Disputed regions of Donetsk and Luhansk in order to get a response from Ukraine.

the unbelievable claims of " Ethnic Cleansing " of Russians in Ukraine

The Disinformation War

Multiple False Flag operations , these being shown on Russian state tv for justification purposes when he moves.

Unreasonable and impossible demands on the NATO Alliance.

And today, he will " Announce " he has decided to recognise as republics, the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk thus allowing Russian forces to be invited in on " Humanitarian " grounds to protect them.

Looking worse and worse sadly, just this one man and his arrogance because he knows one way or another he will get away with it as usual just like all his other crooked and illegal acts.
It's worse than that - the so-called Peoples Republics claim the whole of Donetsk/ Luhansk - including the bits controlled by Ukraine. If Russia recognises them the next move is to "expel" the Ukrainian army from them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Anti-Putin ??? ???

It's about time that the Baron of Hampton and Siberia was kicked out of The House of Lords.

Perhaps that should be part of the sanctions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's worse than that - the so-called Peoples Republics claim the whole of Donetsk/ Luhansk - including the bits controlled by Ukraine. If Russia recognises them the next move is to "expel" the Ukrainian army from them.

Yes indeed, he's played a great game on his terms, he's tried to make himself look a statesman as world leaders visit him and call him up for chat... How he has struggled with his conscience as Ukraine threatens Russia, yet he chooses to take the path of peace despite all the provocations he has created.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought that The Right Honourable Lord Lebedev :)mad:) was pro Putin, as well as his Father?

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/08/20/...ake-evgeny-lebedev-no-longer-a-security-risk/

anti-Putin would be the wrong term. so would pro. Alexander Lebedev is co-owner with Gorbachev of a paper that is broadly critical of current Russian government, and bank he he owns was "investigated" alot some years back. that article may be making the incorrect assertion that pro-Crimea annexation means pro-Putin. its more pro-Russian view, a very different alligence. there nothing to indicate Evgeny is in favour of Putin, just tenuous link.

edit: that article is one long string of inference and insinuation without any substance. it does make the point Alexander fell out of favour and his book doesnt mention Putin at all. thats probably how you get by as potential opposition in Russia, be present without being outright antagonistic.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Seems Putin has handed in the team sheet and sent the team out to warm up

Oh ****.seems life as we know it is about to change forever. Putin recognises Donbas region as independent states who can ask Russia for help. war can't be far away..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Oh ****.seems life as we know it is about to change forever. Putin recognises Donbas region as independent states who can ask Russia for help. war can't be far away..

Putin upping the Anti b4 his arranged meetings with Napoleon and sleepy Joe. It would appear that an attack is almost a foregone conclusion. Hopefully I am wrong

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Looking pretty unstoppable unless Ukraine is thrown under the bus in an appeasement styley. Mis-information all over the place.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Didn't think there was much hope of the talks ever happening and certainly feels like it will go downhill rapidly from here.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here