Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
"The War of Putin's Lies".

Shame Biden doesn't have the courage to impose a no fly zone, at least over west Ukraine.

It's looking very likely we'll be at war with Putin one day.

Maybe backing off now earns time to prepare, but there is very little chance that the Kremlin bully will ever stop coming back for more.

That's a very depressing outlook, and I fúcking hope you're wrong.

Military technology has come a long, long way since 1945, and that's only the stuff that us plebs know about. A significant war between Russia and the west would be absolutely cataclysmic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Troops are going in. That's the start of the invasion then. I hope Putin gets his arse handed to him. I have no doubt British special forces will be hard at work as we speak to make that happen.
War in Europe. Again. Christ. Will we ever ****ing learn.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe we should whore out the World Cup to Russia again as reward for their latest example of ignoring international law!

If it was awarded on that basis it would have arrived here some time ago.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Troops are going in. That's the start of the invasion then. I hope Putin gets his arse handed to him. I have no doubt British special forces will be hard at work as we speak to make that happen.
War in Europe. Again. Christ. Will we ever ****ing learn.

With ****ing Johnson in charge here….the shitshow begins. This could careen out of control very quickly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
now its upto the west to follow through on sanctions as promised

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With ****ing Johnson in charge here….the shitshow begins. This could careen out of control very quickly.

Johnson has thankfully been ignored wholesale since the crisis began. By all players. Saying shite like "This will be the biggest war in Europe since 1945" to try and carve out a Churchill role for himself in all this has earned him the reputation of a selfish chancer and he has been sidelined for most of the talks.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, I blame Brexit.

:facepalm:

Get a grip. You're the only one to mention Brexit. Johnson has been a liability long before Brexit was even thought of. This is just the sort of situation Johnson could really mess up if allowed. Luckily, as I say, he has already earned himself the international reputation of a reckless liability so he has been roundly ignored in this whole crisis. Other countries don't have the limitless patience with the man as us Brits seem to.

This is an important thread, please don't derail it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sounds like Boden doesn't class this current situation as an invasion as Russian troops already present in those areas

you mean Biden? if he doesnt, Putin wins. i see just about every east european nation saying sanctions should be effected simply from the recognition. sending troops across the boarder is the Rubicon.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every time I see and hear Johnson, I just want to vomit.

I know its a superficial thing, but when our shambling Prime Minister wears a carefully and deliberately ruffled haystack on his swede, I'm left thinking - "how can ANYONE take this bloke seriously ?" He must've been laughed out of the room at the Kremlin. And thats before you even look at the domestic catastrophe his wanton lies and idiocy have resided over.

Absolute clown of a Prime Minister, and absolutely the LAST person you would want in charge right now, given the fact we are now on the brink of war. F*cking hell, he's making me miss Theresa May now. I can't believe it.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Every western nation needs to hit Russia hard with sanctions now, none of this if you do anything else business. Hit them hard now and make them the pariahs of the world. We can not allow this step by step invasion.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
you mean Biden? if he doesnt, Putin wins. i see just about every east european nation saying sanctions should be effected simply from the recognition. sending troops across the boarder is the Rubicon.

Yes. Sorry. Auto corrected

Yoda

English & European
Every western nation needs to hit Russia hard with sanctions now, none of this if you do anything else business. Hit them hard now and make them the pariahs of the world. We can not allow this step by step invasion.

Unfortunately, the 2nd World War showed us it doesn't matter how you treat someone, if they are hell bent on power, domination and invading/starting a war, they will.

We tried the softly, softly approach with Hitler & Germany, say "Oh, we'll let you keep Austria but don't do anything else." Hitler invades Czechoslovakia: "Oh we'll let you have Czechoslovakia but don't do it again". Invades Poland, finally war is declared.

The world also tried the hard ball approach with Japan, but they invaded most of China and South East Asia before attacking the US and bring them into it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Totally agree.

On every level, Russia are utter filth. They lie, obfuscate, muddy waters, deny everything, but basically do whatever the f*ck they want.

Their government are lying scum. Their sporting authorities are lying scum. And (in my experience both in Egypt and Tunisia), many of their tourists are arrogant, entitled filth. Mexico is a blessed relief from these people, which is why its a big reason for being my No1 holiday destination.

I absolutely despise Russia.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
My suspicion is there wont be a full invasion of Ukraine at this point, Putin seems to be taking a piecemeal approach to destabilising the region and ultimately getting back under his sphere of influence some of the former soviet republics, he's pushing gradually, testing the resolve of the US and NATO and each time grabbing a little bit more. I suspect that claiming the independence of the rebel held regions of Ukraine was the ultimate aim all along for this round of posturing, he just needed a reason to do it. After troops have piled in to the rebel held areas of Ukraine like they did in the Crimea there will probably be a pause, and at some point a renegotiation, while he works out how best to manufacture the next crisis. The question is how far will we allow him to push before we go further than implementing some, most probably, half hearted sanctions...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A grim day, not least for the innocent Ukrainians. Not only do they face an invasion, but have been falsely accused of genocide.

So, I thought I would post a few reasons why we should remain hopeful and keep our chins up.

1) The BBC report wrote of Putin's speech as coming from a parallel universe, with him trying to rewrite history, in a long-winded attempt to justify his actions. He has a grievance against the west, and wants to reverse the break up of the old Soviet Union. Ukraine is first on his list. We must assume other countries are also on that list. At least we now know his agenda. It's out in the open.

2) The BBC also said that the security council meeting was an awkward affair, with a semi-circle of intelligence advisers in front of Putin, each taking the mic and telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. I like the sound of that. He is feared, and he plays on it, so he is surrounded by 'yes men' who won't have the guts to tell him when he's wrong. Not only does Putin not listen, but his staff will be reluctant to disagree with him, or tell him when there is bad news. That's a big weakness.

3) All through this nightmare, I have been highly impressed with the west's ability to listen in. I think it was British intelligence who identified four named individuals who Putin was lining up to head their new regime in Kyiv. This gave us early warning of their true intentions. The Americans have said they know of the existence of a 'kill-list' of Ukrainians the Russians would seek to eliminate. Presumably those on the list have been forewarned by the Americans. The point is, we appear to be very capable of gathering intelligence from the Russians themselves.

4) The Americans are on board with this. The west is united against Putin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here