Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest pub you have ever been in?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I concur> Went in there as a 17 year old with a mate in between a boring lecture at Sussex Uni. Having ordered we realised what a f***ing mistake it was and drank up quick.

I have driven past the Hikers Rest many times but have never ventured in.

What is it about the place? Does everyone stop talking and look at the "Stranger" as they come in? or is it just the general atmosphere?

A couple of posters have said it's fine. Is that because you are known as locals?

Just curious.

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
O’Donoghues - Estepona, just down the road from Peurto Banus...

Had the priviledge of being invited into the backroom which opened up into a bookmakers run by two mean looking lesbians with a notebook and a biscuit tin full of Euro notes.

Clientele included - Terry Yorath betting alot of cash, an ex South London Boxer introduced to me as "tippy toes", and "tank" the owner of a crane company based in Barking he runs from Spain.

The same evening I was offered cash to Jet Ski from Gibralta to Spain towing a dingy laden with cheap cigarettes - not sure if they were serious but I declined the offer and have never been back to the said establishment or the Costa del Sol for that matter...

The boozer was rough as were the punters.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
A friend of mine had a local called the dog and gun. I suggested we go there for a pint on our way into Liverpool.

''Mate'' he said ''I wouldn't go in that place if I had a Dog and a Gun'' One look through the window confirmed his view.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
haven't gone through all the posts so apologies if it has already been mentioned.

The Mighty Fine in Portsmouth. Drunk there when i was in the Navy, in my first visit (a Sunday lunchtime) I saw two whore's fighting which resulted in one of them being carted off to hospital with half her face missing, amazing the damage that a bottle can do. One of the bar staff was a dwarf and he was regularly hung up on a coat hook, this day he took exception to this and when he was finally let down he sneaked up on the guy that did it and beat him about the head with a glass ashtray rendering the poor sod unconscious. Queue visit from the local constabulary for the second time within an hour ( they weren't the least bit surprised!). In subsequent visits I saw some very educational floor shows from the local ladies (very nice), a guy get stabbed (not very nice) he lived but only just. Some bloke who was acting the arsehole was beaten senseless, stripped naked and chucked out into the street and the normal fights that occurred night in night out. This was in the early eighties and I was reliably informed that the place had toned down since the 70's. It had no windows as the brewery was sick of replacing them every other day. A bloody nightmare but as very niave and innocent 17 year old it was great fun, if I'd been a few years older I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the place. I went back in about '92 to discover that the bastards had turned it into a wine bar/ restaurant :cry:

One of my older mates was from mid-Sussex and had drunk in the Bosun in the 70's which was an experience but nothing on the Mighty fine. The cliental in the Bosun were human, not something you could say for many of the cliental in the Mighty fine.

Hahahah!

You TRAVEL to that pub?(you and Clapham Gull?)..

I went there once because I lived on Caledonian Road until May and I was always curious about the pub without a sign. I heard urban rumours and coming back pissed from Kings Cross one night I finally went in.

Part of me wanted to stay in it but the other part decided it was time for a swift return home. I saw some of the entertainment but cleverly turned the other way while the pint glass they were collecting in came round..

Its More like. as you come off the train from northernnowhereville, its a handy spot b4 the London and Brighton based Albion supporters go their separate ways. For me I can stagger out, and within 50 yards I am on the bus home.:lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Desert Rat in Reigate used to be rough. I liked it though. Don't know what it's like these days.

haven't gone through all the posts so apologies if it has already been mentioned.

The Mighty Fine in Portsmouth. Drunk there when i was in the Navy, in my first visit (a Sunday lunchtime) I saw two whore's fighting which resulted in one of them being carted off to hospital with half her face missing, amazing the damage that a bottle can do. One of the bar staff was a dwarf and he was regularly hung up on a coat hook, this day he took exception to this and when he was finally let down he sneaked up on the guy that did it and beat him about the head with a glass ashtray rendering the poor sod unconscious. Queue visit from the local constabulary for the second time within an hour ( they weren't the least bit surprised!). In subsequent visits I saw some very educational floor shows from the local ladies (very nice), a guy get stabbed (not very nice) he lived but only just. Some bloke who was acting the arsehole was beaten senseless, stripped naked and chucked out into the street and the normal fights that occurred night in night out. This was in the early eighties and I was reliably informed that the place had toned down since the 70's. It had no windows as the brewery was sick of replacing them every other day. A bloody nightmare but as very niave and innocent 17 year old it was great fun, if I'd been a few years older I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the place. I went back in about '92 to discover that the bastards had turned it into a wine bar/ restaurant :cry:

There was reportedly a similar place in Leeds, down one of its hidden alleyways, that had no glass. The bar itself was a hole in a brick wall, where punters paid for their beer.

I can understand some locals being rough, or have rough clientale, around here in Hackney there are more than a fair few.

I have never understood why people want to go to the type of places listed directly above.

As it happens, I have forgot what would have been my local. It is now a recording/ filming studio.

A classic east end boozer in appearance. But in the 90's it was at its lowest.

It was on the corner of a road which flared up into riots in the 80's.

It was (with an adjacent community centre) the centre point of the local drugs trade, doorways, steps walls were littered with low life shooting themselves up. And suppliers openly walking around with baseball bats, knives.

The Stoke Newington Police were taking back handers and ignored the trade.

I had some northern mates who lived in the area at the time, builders, who had worked and drank every where, this was the only area, where they took taxi's from door to door!

Finally, following an increasing build up of fights, stabbings and then open gun battles. Resulting in several bodies being left in the street.

The pub was closed, the community centre was closed, literally the entire Stoke Newington POlice force was removed, a row of houses controlled by druggies were bulldoxed down and we innocently (well we knew Dalston was rough but not this dangerous) moved in.

We wish we had a decent local though.:lolol:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Never got the courage to pop in for a pint, pubs without windows scare me

but the Dry Dock pub just outside Glasgow docks gets my vote for most rough looking

mmr9jt.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't remember the name of the pub, but it was that one in Gillingham with various football shirts pinned to the ceiling. What a shithole. The only pub I've been to where I've wiped my feet on the way out.

Jan 30, 2008
The Hikers Is An Albion Pub Through And Through Though.

Think How Ace It Is Going To Be When Some Mouthy Northern **** Thinks It Clever To Mouth Off About "Queers in Brighton" On A Matchday.

Marvellous Scenes.
yes hope it stays that way, we cant have people taking liberties on our patch :bigwave:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have never understood why people want to go to the type of places listed directly above.

Probably because they don't care what their surroundings are like when they are drinking, and possibly because those are the only types of establishments that will actually serve them.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Most memorable dive was the bar underneath Blackpool tower. There were no glasses or bottles every drink was served in plastic, the floor was so sticky that if you stood still for more than a minute you'd be stuck there all night, and the clientel was council estate-tastic to say the least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here