Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest pub you have ever been in?

The proper pubs in Hoxton,

went for a pub crawl there with a few Brighton fans, the pubs just got rougher and rougher, my lasting memories are:

being constantly followed to the bogs by a bloke, who would then start kicking shit out of everything around me and

the next pub we planned to go in, being closed, in front of our eyes due to a stabbing.

I have been back to that street since, the pub where the stabbing took place, is full of very hard men, crims and mid level firm guys, the one opposite is a regular meet up for London "white" firms.

LC

On balance the pub is rougher than the entertainment, but ONLY just

Whilst supping a crap beer, appraising the quality of entertainment, there is always a watchful third eye, waiting for the pub to erupt.

I've been in several, but never realised until after settling in and being comfortable.

Then someone inevitably tells me they "won't meet up in there" or "get out quickly before you are killed" or whatever. Innocence rules I spose, because nothing bad ever happened to me.

So, I have a video to celebrate that;

[yt]aQy5vKAaTuA[/yt]

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Hikers Rest In Coldean/moulscombe

Not so!

As a born & bred Coldean lad, although exiled to Lower Bev for the last30 years oir so, I always find a very warm welcome on the rare occasions I pop into The Hikers.

I was taken on a tour of their Albion bar whilst it was being built and, on my last visit, a look at the new beer garden under construction.

The only thing wrong is that there's no real ale. Sort that & I'll be there pre falmer matches.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know a couple of places run by them, in Hurstpierpoint and Ditchling I believe.

They used to have the White Horse in Hurstpierpoint I think but not sure about now and I dont know if they had one in Ditchling, not in 2001 to my knowledge.

Somebody mentioned The Scotman in Kings Cross I ran a pub just around the corner in what was Pancras Road, now knocked down, The Earl Russell in the late 60s and all the pubs in the area were run down rough houses, mostly full of down and outs prostitutes and their pimps.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst supping a crap beer, appraising the quality of entertainment, there is always a watchful third eye, waiting for the pub to erupt.

Hahahah!

You TRAVEL to that pub?(you and Clapham Gull?)..

I went there once because I lived on Caledonian Road until May and I was always curious about the pub without a sign. I heard urban rumours and coming back pissed from Kings Cross one night I finally went in.

Part of me wanted to stay in it but the other part decided it was time for a swift return home. I saw some of the entertainment but cleverly turned the other way while the pint glass they were collecting in came round..

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
several years ago, used to cycle(!) to a pub called the hopleaf in cooksbridge- reputation ofa bikers bar, but never saw any trouble- partly cos landlord/lady were friendly 'old school, no messing' kind of people, it would be a LONG walk for anyone to the next pub... oh, and there was a massive dog guarding the bar, when the staff ipped to the loo.

apparantly its gone all fancy now, but so unfit i havent bother checking.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not so!

As a born & bred Coldean lad, although exiled to Lower Bev for the last30 years oir so, I always find a very warm welcome on the rare occasions I pop into The Hikers.

I was taken on a tour of their Albion bar whilst it was being built and, on my last visit, a look at the new beer garden under construction.

The only thing wrong is that there's no real ale. Sort that & I'll be there pre falmer matches.

Quite.

If someone thinks that the Hikers is rough, he must have had a very sheltered upbringing. Best stick to the tea rooms in future.

I do agree with Freddie; it's a nice pub but let's get some Harveys in there.

The roughest pub I've been has to be the Oyster in Croxteth, Liverpool. It was like drinking in a war zone.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
a couple come to mind

walking into a pub in Brixton and becoming aware as I wallked to the bar that it had gone completely silent. I looked around and realised I was the only white person in the pub. . . . . . . . . bought a bottle to take out.:nono:

pub in Birmingham in the mid seventies. I was asked to move to the other bar while they made a collection (for the IRA) then "allowed" back to my original seat after the collectors had left:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here