Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Carpenter "has had his day" as an Albion player

Has Richard Carpenter "had his day" as an Albion player?

• Yes, it's fair

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No, it's unfair

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 16 11.2%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
tommy boy said:
why do you care though?

does it actually bother you that much?

Actually you do deserve a better answer to that than the flip one I gave. I did give it in the other thread, so here it is again:

London Irish said:
I think it's a total shocker that you and him so casually and thoughtlessly slag off a guy who did such a decent job in the game for us against the league leaders. Worse given that it's a guy who has been such a great servant for us over the years.

If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt rather than shrill, over-the-top scapegoating, it's Richard Carpenter.

Last edited:

Fragmented Badger said:
Why do you bring deleting my posts into it? What exactly would you be deleting them for? Just disagreeing with you? How pathetic and childish. If that goes for everyone you disagree with, you are going to be a busy man. However, if that's what turns you on, Adolf, if that's what turns you on..........

Like the first cuckoo of spring, Godwin's Law appears! :lolol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_Law

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
WTF do you mean, Richard Carpenter "has had his day" as an Albion player?

"It's Only Just Begun"! It seemed like "Only Yesterday" when he was being praised for his work.

Ok then, "I Believe You" LI. Go on Chippy, "Make It Easy On Yourself". The hardest thing about playing for one club for a long time is "Knowing When To Leave".

I'm bored.

Fragmented Badger said:
Why do you bring deleting my posts into it? What exactly would you be deleting them for? Just disagreeing with you? How pathetic and childish. If that goes for everyone you disagree with, you are going to be a busy man. However, if that's what turns you on, Adolf, if that's what turns you on..........

Badger boy, you were doing so well too. LI wasn't talking about wanting to delete your posts because he didn't agree with them, simply saying that your argument about not being allowed to express an opinion is cobblers because it's not as if he could delete your posts even if he wanted to.

FWIW my view on Chippy is simple. Yes, his best football is behind him, of course it is, but no I don't believe that he is completely past it. He has played better this season than he did for the whole of last season, but he needs more help alongside him. IMO HAmmond is the weak link at the moment. The game is often passing him by leaving Chippy chasing shadows.

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Kylies Stunt Arse said:

FWIW my view on Chippy is simple. Yes, his best football is behind him, of course it is, but no I don't believe that he is completely past it. He has played better this season than he did for the whole of last season, but he needs more help alongside him. IMO HAmmond is the weak link at the moment. The game is often passing him by leaving Chippy chasing shadows.

The best post on this thread.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
The opinion is popular amongst what I read and who I speak to. There's no question about it, I have heard ten times more criticism of Carpenter this season than ANY other player.

Really? The people I speak to criticise Kerry Mayo 'ten times more'. General concensus in some circles at least is that Chippy had a thoroughly wretched time last season, but has had a brighter start in League One. Only August mind, but I'd say he's currently worth his place in the side.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The definition is clear and Chippy has not had his day. He can still play an important role and I am pleased that he is starting to repay McGhee's faith in him, with some better performances than the whole of last season. We need some grit and determination in our midfield with so many youngsters in the team and I feel he adds that.

Answer: No, it is unfair.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Now these are hardly the brave words of someone who was declaring only minutes ago that his view of Richard Carpenter was the "popular" one of NSC.

(Once again, apologies if it was the other one that said that :jester: )

Brave, courage, shift, reconfigure. Why are you attempting to turn into a 1940's football manager with your very own venacular? Still having read this thread it appears a typical misinterpretation of what people say by LI to suit his own agenda, with the usual snide remarks about the indivduals who have dared to disagree with him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Why did you bother posting that?

Probably because you started a thread that is a basically a smear campaign of them and their opinions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Originally posted by Fragmented Badger
The opinion is popular amongst what I read and who I speak to. There's no question about it, I have heard ten times more criticism of Carpenter this season than ANY other player.

Yes, I agree - and its wrong Hammond is the weakest link in the midfield.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I didn't go on Saturday but listened to commentary supplied by BBC Nottingham. Their expert summariser was John McGovern, the former Notts Forest player and to those younger NSC'ers, captain of two winning European Cup sides. He was very impressed with Carpenter and said on more than one occasion that everything Brighton did went through him. If McGovern was impressed that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
Sneaky George said:
I didn't go on Saturday but listened to commentary supplied by BBC Nottingham. Their expert summariser was John McGovern, the former Notts Forest player and to those younger NSC'ers, captain of two winning European Cup sides. He was very impressed with Carpenter and said on more than one occasion that everything Brighton did went through him. If McGovern was impressed that's good enough for me.

hmmm not sure about that one

didn't kevin keegan, winner of many a trophy, believe gareth southgate was the answer to englands midfield problems?

not to mention ruud gullits spell at newcastle

being a good player means NOWT

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
LI's constant need to score cheap points off other NSC posters is a clear case for therapy. This 'Has Richard Carpenter Had His Day As An Albion Player?', whipped up out of a clear blue sky, is nothing short of pathetic. IMHO, like.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
tommy boy said:
hmmm not sure about that one

didn't kevin keegan, winner of many a trophy, believe gareth southgate was the answer to englands midfield problems?

not to mention ruud gullits spell at newcastle

being a good player means NOWT
Like I said, I didn't go to Forest, so don't feel strongly about this but it's interesting that someone independent of the Albion, with no axe to grind, said he was the player who made everything happen for us. His best days may be behind him but he's still good enough for this league and we really do need his experience.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sneaky George said:
Like I said, I didn't go to Forest, so don't feel strongly about this but it's interesting that someone independent of the Albion, with no axe to grind, said he was the player who made everything happen for us. His best days may be behind him but he's still good enough for this league and we really do need his experience.

But what axe would people have to grind with Chippy. In his time he has been an excellent player for the club but last season and so far this one the signs are that he is off the pace and past his best. Due to his track record with the club the only problem I can see is that MM keeps picking him, nobody has an axe to grind with Chippy as a player or a person. Lots of people are gtting caught up in the tiny details of how people phrase their arguments rather than actually engaging with the points they are making. I wasn't at Forest but it sounds like he played ok. However it appears LI has taken this point (generally agreed by most people on here) and then used it to back up his own personal assessment that Chippy has played well in the last year. Not sure how that works.

Last edited:

Fragmented Badger said:
And that, Les, sums it up BEAUTIFULLY. Noone in their right mind would have a problem with Carpenter as a person, and I'm sure everyone respects the great job he did for us over many years. But, daring to criticise when someone is so off-form for so long is actually ALLOWED, and for someone to start making polls over tiny details and phrases which are taken out of context is absolutely pathetic.

This wouldn't be sour grapes at all because you are losing the poll then? :wave:

Really, you are entitled to keep up your non-stop slagging of Carpenter, it's a free country. But be careful to describe your opinion as the "popular" one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here