Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Equally the Covid numbers include vast numbers that died of other things whilst they had Covid………or in the case of my neighbour, was never tested but doctor added it to the death cert anyway because her husband had it, so it was ‘likely’ she did as well.

Did she die of something else? Could be that she had some minor symptoms hence it was put down. Also, particularly last year in the early stages there may have been a few case where doctors weren't sure. There are guidelines relating to death certification.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...l-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Death rates incredibly low for cases. Has to stop somewhere and jabs seem to be working in preventing death and serious illness. Time for normal life again in my opinion. Just my opinion before anyone jumps on it. And as long as deaths are low, I’d be gutted if we weren’t at the Amex first game tbh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Death rates incredibly low for cases. Has to stop somewhere and jabs seem to be working in preventing death and serious illness. Time for normal life again in my opinion. Just my opinion before anyone jumps on it. And as long as deaths are low, I’d be gutted if we weren’t at the Amex first game tbh.

But would you be absolutely gutted if you had to wear a mask in order to be at the Amex?

Not sure anyone is arguing that we don't move forward but this dumb government is ditching everything when the science and the infections rates suggest proceeding just a little more cautiously.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But would you be absolutely gutted if you had to wear a mask in order to be at the Amex?

Not sure anyone is arguing that we don't move forward but this dumb government is ditching everything when the science and the infections rates suggest proceeding just a little more cautiously.

Nope I’ll do whatever to protect people. Masks are pissing me off but there’s a lot more at stake than that. So no, I’d be fine with that. Just want to go back to normal life and football is a huge part of that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nope I’ll do whatever to protect people. Masks are pissing me off but there’s a lot more at stake than that. So no, I’d be fine with that. Just want to go back to normal life and football is a huge part of that.

On that we agree. I wore masks for the Chelsea friendly and for the Citeh game and have no problem wearing if it means doing more normal things more often.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Metastatic cancer……her daughter was furious about the Covid reference. Must admit I found it a bit odd.

Did you see the BMJ link I posted (154). Your neighbour’s situation is undoubtedly valid but the medical profession are telling us you cannot generalize from this one case. We are constantly fed internet conspiracy theories intended to undermine public health.
My wife and I have already made plans for Burnley away and Watford at home. We will wear masks and will make adjustments to our usual match day routines. However, we don’t share the Government’s confidence that we can trust others to do the same so we will have to be even more careful. I am really hoping we can do this safely but clearly if we feel uncomfortable then we won’t go back. Maybe the Albion should go above and beyond Government guidance to make sure all its supporters feel safe ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did you see the BMJ link I posted (154). Your neighbour’s situation is undoubtedly valid but the medical profession are telling us you cannot generalize from this one case. We are constantly fed internet conspiracy theories intended to undermine public health.
My wife and I have already made plans for Burnley away and Watford at home. We will wear masks and will make adjustments to our usual match day routines. However, we don’t share the Government’s confidence that we can trust others to do the same so we will have to be even more careful. I am really hoping we can do this safely but clearly if we feel uncomfortable then we won’t go back. Maybe the Albion should go above and beyond Government guidance to make sure all its supporters feel safe ?

I’d already seen the article……..I wasn’t generalising but overall the figures are highly questionable (in either direction), not just in the UK but elsewhere too. There is no consistency of approach.

I’m very likely to go to Burnley and Watford too - and will be happy to continue to wear a mask in confined spaces at least but will probably only do so if it’s a requirement of the place rather than voluntarily. Pretty relaxed about it either way. Watching football won’t be the real issue - getting to and from the ground will be (particularly ours) on packed trains. I’m expecting masks to be mandated by public transport authorities, but also expecting plenty to ignore the requirement and a lot of aggro to ensue. Luckily I walk to the Amex from a couple of miles away (and almost always drive to away games) so can avoid public transport.

Suspect the Albion will just do whatever the PL agrees with the Government

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I’d already seen the article……..I wasn’t generalising but overall the figures are highly questionable (in either direction), not just in the UK but elsewhere too. There is no consistency of approach.

I’m very likely to go to Burnley and Watford too - and will be happy to continue to wear a mask in confined spaces at least but will probably only do so if it’s a requirement of the place rather than voluntarily. Pretty relaxed about it either way. Watching football won’t be the real issue - getting to and from the ground will be (particularly ours) on packed trains. I’m expecting masks to be mandated by public transport authorities, but also expecting plenty to ignore the requirement and a lot of aggro to ensue. Luckily I walk to the Amex from a couple of miles away (and almost always drive to away games) so can avoid public transport.

Suspect the Albion will just do whatever the PL agrees with the Government
Yep if Wembley is anything to go by football fans will NOT be wearing masks on the train. I would be very wary of that if you are afriad of Covid.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I assume you only know too well that the description is 'death within 28 days of a positive test'. I'm guessing you also know that the official figures don't include deaths in excess of 28 days of a positive covid test of which there have been many as a large proportion of those that have been in ICUs and have died were there for more than 4 weeks.

I guess you're going to spout that people who tested positive and then died in a car crash go down in the statistics. On the basis there are only about 1800 road deaths a year, that would be an insignificant proportion of covid deaths even if they were being recorded as such.
I should be surprised if people have been in a covid ward for 28 days plus, and haven't been re-tested.

You're right in principle, though. While there will be inappropriate records of people who died of something irrelevant to covid, it isn't enough to be statistically significant in the overall scheme of things. However, the current death figures would bear detailed analysis to see if it is significant now. It would be more than interesting to find out how many of the 229 deaths in the last week were (a) vaccine refusers; and (b) people who were otherwise old, weak, or dying of something else. I suspect that would cover the large majority.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Firstly, you don't need to breathe in the virus to become infected. It can transmit through your eyes.

As for facemasks, nobody is claiming they completely stop the spread but they do reduce it considerably.

Have they produced any data on comparing coughing/sneezing into a facemask with coughing/sneezing into your hand or handkerchief? The x% reduction figures seem to assume the alternative is to stand up and sneeze as far away as you can. Most people - not all, but most - at minimum protect with a hand.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whatever the rules of entry to the Amex and carriage rules on the trains it will still ultimately be up to people to comply themselves. Enforcement in large groups is impossible. Think of those rugby scrums getting on at Falmer after the game. The SASTA stewards can't even make some of the more drunk younger ones go to the right part of the platform or get on safely - imagine them pleading for a mask to be put on. Same in the ground. At Man City it was well policed in the concourse. A lady steward actually told me to put mine back on (it was off while I ate my pie and I was slow putting it back on) and rather than give her grief I thanked her, but that went out of the window in the seats in the East Upper - the three pissed blokes in front of us didn't have them on at all and no exemption lanyard.

I suspect most of the older, vaccinated people will actually be the ones who show consideration. Just as at Wembley it'll be those most at risk - young, drunk and possibly coked up - who will ignore the rule and who will be too much trouble for stewards to bother with,

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Whatever the rules of entry to the Amex and carriage rules on the trains it will still ultimately be up to people to comply themselves. Enforcement in large groups is impossible. Think of those rugby scrums getting on at Falmer after the game. The SASTA stewards can't even make some of the more drunk younger ones go to the right part of the platform or get on safely - imagine them pleading for a mask to be put on. Same in the ground. At Man City it was well policed in the concourse. A lady steward actually told me to put mine back on (it was off while I ate my pie and I was slow putting it back on) and rather than give her grief I thanked her, but that went out of the window in the seats in the East Upper - the three pissed blokes in front of us didn't have them on at all and no exemption lanyard.

I suspect most of the older, vaccinated people will actually be the ones who show consideration. Just as at Wembley it'll be those most at risk - young, drunk and possibly coked up - who will ignore the rule and who will be too much trouble for stewards to bother with,

yes, I agree. It’s clearly a free for all now and we just have to take our own precautions. I’m certainly not feeling Victor Meldrew about it. Rather, I’m really hoping for enough consideration from others that we can carry on doing something we love, which is supporting the Albion. Already booked an Air BnB for Watford and Burnley is a local game for us. We will drive, arrive early, straight to seats and wait behind at the end. I will also break the habit of a lifetime and go for a piss during the game rather than at half time. Still going for pre match beers somewhere though, somewhere not too busy as we have been doing that for months.

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
I went to the Amex Stadium recently on a baking hot day for a medical scan by the east stand. As I was walking back to Falmer Station, I thought "I've missed watching football here so incredibly much". The security team were very friendly. It seemed really surreal with hardly anyone around though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sitting in your seat is effectively sitting outside where risk of transmission is literally bugger all.

Combine with the studies that these sports events led to no spikes in infections and also the fact that most will be double jabbed then would be pretty ridiculous to be forced to wear masks in your seat.

Things are opening shortly up for a reason so there isn't a need to be scared and self police IMO

** deaths not cases

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Exactly…….

Can see some rucks developing when people get told to keep their distance or mask up. Much more likely after a grim defeat, of course.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's going to take a giant leap of faith in the effectiveness of the vaccine and the non-transmissibility of the virus in a minimum 10-15 minute train journey to/from a full house Amex. Any worries on that score and you'd be strongly advised to choose ANY other mode of transport. By the time the first train back to Brighton finally trundled into Falmer station after the final whistle of the Man City game, fans were six deep on the platform. And that was with a severely reduced capacity of 9,000 or whatever it was

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's going to take a giant leap of faith in the effectiveness of the vaccine and the non-transmissibility of the virus in a minimum 10-15 minute train journey to/from a full house Amex. Any worries on that score and you'd be strongly advised to choose ANY other mode of transport. By the time the first train back to Brighton finally trundled into Falmer station after the final whistle of the Man City game, fans were six deep on the platform. And that was with a severely reduced capacity of 9,000 or whatever it was

not really a giant leap though is it. The vaccine data is clear to see ,

If you are worried then I agree but then if you are really that worried then at what point are you not going to worry about living any sort of life.

Trains will be full of singing and bouncing just like the old days and I for one cant wait

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here