Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My 85 year old mum has said to me on a number of occasions that enough is enough. She’s double jabbed and wants to get on with her life because she doesn’t know how much time she’s got anyway.

I have her blessing to go and she may very well come with me if my son can’t make it. She’d love that.

There are different points of view obviously, but i do wonder about your thought process about when you would ever think it’s safe to go. This isn’t going away…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry made me chuckle are you a priest?

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Agree with masks on public transport for now .... Confined spaces etc. That's logical.

Wearing a mask outside is absolutely ridiculous though. Really hope this is not implemented. You didn't need to wear a mask for the euros not sure why they would go back on this one.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I had both my vaccinations didn't go inside whilst the Euro's were on and I still manged to get Covid, its not nice

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To be fair, you're not safer because you're wearing one unless it is a full FFP3 mask. The masks we wear are to stop us spreading it to others, not the other way around. So, if you were the only one in the ground wearing a mask (and I hope to god you aren't) then you will probably have the same risk as everyone else.

So you are saying that my mask will let in as much cough and splutter as would be the case if I didn’t wear one. I find that very difficult to believe. Granted they are more effective at protecting others but they don’t provide zero protection to the wearer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If people are genuinely that worried they shouldn't be at a crowded football match, or at the very least shouldn't be hanging around on a packed concourse. There's still a good chance of catching it in those circumstances, even with a mask.

I thought the incidence of infection from test events has so far been very low - what have you seen that confirms there is a ‘good chance’ of catching it ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating any particular approach - I'm just highlighting that determined (selfish) people will find a way around whatever system is put in place. At Wembley on Sunday, people had screenshots of other people's Covid passport QR codes which they were using to get through the scurity ring. I'm struggling to come up with anything workable and have every smpathy with those trying to put something in place.

I know someone who deleted the track and trace app "because they got pinged".

There are a large number of people who don't want the authority control any more. This summer and autumn could be "interesting".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know someone who deleted the track and trace app "because they got pinged".

There are a large number of people who don't want the authority control any more. This summer and autumn could be "interesting".

I know loads too, and it’s increasingly common. Rather than delete the app, it’s also simple to ‘pause’ the functionality. NHS staff are routinely pausing it or deleting it (at the suggestion of senior management), people are getting pinged without having spent 15 mins within 2m of others so don’t know why they have been pinged………

Also I’ve personally had a few incidents when checking in to places where the QRC is ‘not recognised’ when I’ve scanned it……when asked whether I’ve scanned in I’ve just said yes most of the time because I can’t be arsed with writing my name and number down

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know you are quoting what we have all been told, but I still don't understand how wasting a mask stops the virus leaving my nose and mouth to infect people but effortlessly let's me breathe the virus in. My masks have 3 layers yet apparently the virus can get in through them, but not out

Firstly, you don't need to breathe in the virus to become infected. It can transmit through your eyes.

As for facemasks, nobody is claiming they completely stop the spread but they do reduce it considerably.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you are saying that my mask will let in as much cough and splutter as would be the case if I didn’t wear one. I find that very difficult to believe. Granted they are more effective at protecting others but they don’t provide zero protection to the wearer.

Ok there will be some protection but if you walk into a aerosol of infected droplets they are likely to enter your body via your eyes.

So, there may be some protection but the point about masks is the prevention of you spreading it to someone else rather than the other way around.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is that actual 200 COVID deaths a day, or all deaths with a so called positive test within the last 28 days?

I assume you only know too well that the description is 'death within 28 days of a positive test'. I'm guessing you also know that the official figures don't include deaths in excess of 28 days of a positive covid test of which there have been many as a large proportion of those that have been in ICUs and have died were there for more than 4 weeks.

I guess you're going to spout that people who tested positive and then died in a car crash go down in the statistics. On the basis there are only about 1800 road deaths a year, that would be an insignificant proportion of covid deaths even if they were being recorded as such.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I assume you only know too well that the description is 'death within 28 days of a positive test'. I'm guessing you also know that the official figures don't include deaths in excess of 28 days of a positive covid test of which there have been many as a large proportion of those that have been in ICUs and have died were there for more than 4 weeks.

I guess you're going to spout that people who tested positive and then died in a car crash go down in the statistics. On the basis there are only about 1800 road deaths a year, that would be an insignificant proportion of covid deaths even if they were being recorded as such.

What I'm saying is it's a false figure, it's being used to frighten people imo.
I have had both vaccinations, I have worked throughout since the start of this, I have mixed closely with people who may have had it, I have travelled all over the country doing my job I am maybe lucky that I have not caught this.
Imho life is to short to worry about this virus. I will follow any rules regarding face masks, but shutting the economy down again with another lockdown and locking people up to try and keep them safe I believe is wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Equally the Covid numbers include vast numbers that died of other things whilst they had Covid………or in the case of my neighbour, was never tested but doctor added it to the death cert anyway because her husband had it, so it was ‘likely’ she did as well.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I thought the incidence of infection from test events has so far been very low - what have you seen that confirms there is a ‘good chance’ of catching it ?

Test events were pre-delta when community infection was pretty low. It seems like a different ball game now in terms of infections and how transmissible delta is.

Just my gut feeling, but IMHO if you go to crowded places in the next few months you will eventually get it. Time will tell if I'm correct (call me out if it's bollocks!) but I reckon getting mild covid will be the new normal for everyone.

Thankfully it's a different ball game with severe infection due to the vaccine. People need to get jabbed though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Test events were pre-delta when community infection was pretty low. It seems like a different ball game now in terms of infections and how transmissible delta is.

Just my gut feeling, but IMHO if you go to crowded places in the next few months you will eventually get it. Time will tell if I'm correct (call me out if it's bollocks!) but I reckon getting mild covid will be the new normal for everyone.

Thankfully it's a different ball game with severe infection due to the vaccine. People need to get jabbed though.

Completely agree………the Delta seems to be very easily transmitted. My nephew (19) has tested positive and is pretty ill, but he only had his first jab last week so it won’t have helped him.

The Gov have evidently risk-accepted a number of infections, hospitalisations and deaths to get things opened up (and to prevent an even worse wave in the Autumn I suspect) on the basis the vax programme gets completed and limits those numbers. The problem is the modelling has such a wide range of outcomes so that ‘number’ is unknown - if we hit the nastier end of it things will be dreadful again (albeit still nowhere near as bad as the previous wave), if we manage to stay near the lower end (infections will need to plateau quite quickly if that is to be the case) then the calculated risk will probably be deemed to have been worth it (obviously not by those who have suffered serious illness or loss of a loved one).

The next month or so is critical as second jabs take effect and as many people as possible get protected.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What I'm saying is it's a false figure, it's being used to frighten people imo.
I have had both vaccinations, I have worked throughout since the start of this, I have mixed closely with people who may have had it, I have travelled all over the country doing my job I am maybe lucky that I have not caught this.
Imho life is to short to worry about this virus. I will follow any rules regarding face masks, but shutting the economy down again with another lockdown and locking people up to try and keep them safe I believe is wrong.

Why are they false figures? They are statistics but the problem is you fear they'll stop you doing what you want so you decide to consider them false.

Yes, you have been lucky, but if you look at the number of infections over the last year, others haven't. You don't say if you have ever taken a test. If not, who knows, you may have been asymptomatic and been a spreader! You say life's too sort, well for some life became a lot shorter than they were possibly expecting. There are those that have long covid, ie symptoms for in excess of 12 weeks. Some of them will have made a full recovery and some will have lasting damage to their bodies.

As for getting on with life, wearing a mask hardly impinges on that. Infections rates are on the rise and now, so are deaths. Hopefully due to vaccinations, not as many as the second wave.

As for the return of fans, I think it's a step forward and if I need to wear a mask to be able to watch the football I certainly will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here