Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's going to take a giant leap of faith in the effectiveness of the vaccine and the non-transmissibility of the virus in a minimum 10-15 minute train journey to/from a full house Amex. Any worries on that score and you'd be strongly advised to choose ANY other mode of transport. By the time the first train back to Brighton finally trundled into Falmer station after the final whistle of the Man City game, fans were six deep on the platform. And that was with a severely reduced capacity of 9,000 or whatever it was

I’ve got a high degree of faith in the effectiveness of the vaccine, so I’m not overly worried about transmission……..? Agree anyone who is worried, or not fully vaccinated, would be wise to avoid the trains - but as @GB points out it’s not likely to be the ‘wise’ that mostly fall into this group.

Track and trace pinging will increase greatly if it’s not de-sensitised before mass gatherings really kick off.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The government projected figures are 100,000 new cases PER DAY by the end of the summer

If you want to look at the negative possibilities go right ahead …projections are what they are forecasts …I’m not saying it won’t ..but I’m not going to worry about what might ..particularly as so far a lot of these projections have been wrong ….I think my post said ‘’hopefully’’and “we shall see” ..I’ll stand by that ta ..and concern myself with the here and now

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you want to look at the negative possibilities go right ahead …projections are what they are forecasts …I’m not saying it won’t ..but I’m not going to worry about what might ..particularly as so far a lot of these projections have been wrong ….I think my post said ‘’hopefully’’and “we shall see” ..I’ll stand by that ta ..and concern myself with the here and now

Fair enough

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
From the beginning of May to 3rd July, there were over 250,000 cases of coronavirus in people under 30. There were 7 deaths. The dangers to the not-yet-vaccinated minority are very small.

Not sure death is the only outcome that you should be worried about as there have been a lot of cases of long covid and that is very unpleasant. I am for a steady return but 160k people together i far too may. Also think that the concept of 'let people responsible for their own actions' is nonsense just look at what has happened at the football. Yes the majority were ok but a significant minority were not.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Not sure death is the only outcome that you should be worried about as there have been a lot of cases of long covid and that is very unpleasant. I am for a steady return but 160k people together i far too may. Also think that the concept of 'let people responsible for their own actions' is nonsense just look at what has happened at the football. Yes the majority were ok but a significant minority were not.

Blimey I knew they were increase the Amex capacity but 160K, will we really sell that many?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Track and trace pinging will increase greatly if it’s not de-sensitised before mass gatherings really kick off.

I actually can't attend the first game (for non-covid reasons) and actually quite fancy the idea that the week before everyone gets pings and it's just 1 or 2 of us or thereabouts the week after.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ll have west lower which stand for you want

I'll go east lower, then we just need to find one person for south and one for north and we're in business :thumbsup:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'll go east lower, then we just need to find one person for south and one for north and we're in business :thumbsup:

Can I have West Upper?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Really? He's coming at this from a libertarian perspective and that restrictions impinged on his freedoms.

NHS - He suggests the NHS didn't collapse. Well thank christ for that. The NHS was at breaking point, hence the reason why so many routine procedures had to be cancelled. If you want to see a failing health system, look at India where they ran out of oxygen. How many died just because they couldn't get any oxygen to get through. As for saying the NHS 'gets busy' in winter, yes it does but not to the extent that all routine procedures get cancelled. Also, you can't compare Covid with a flu season. Flu kills about 15k a year, we all know how many are dying from covid (and yes before the conspiracy theorist moan, that people dying within 28 days of a positive test).

Where is this poll about people believing 1 in 10 are dying from Covid?

He bangs on about the fact that the covid figures are cumulative over two peaks which we don't do for other infections like flu. He claims if we did then the figures for flu would be in the millions. Well that's a bizarre way to present it. Why not just compare the flu deaths over similar period as we are measuring Covid. I guarantee it will be considerably less.

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-deaths-winter-2020-talkradio/

As for face masks he claims there's only been one study and that found they didn't work. The BMJ seem to have a different opinion!!

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586

I got fed up with listening to him after 25 minutes. I would suggest that if you put him in a group of his peers it's likely he will be a lone voice.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Will the concourses be selling the usual food and beverages?
I also wonder if we may see more beer and pie stalls outside?
And hopefully some early bird/stay behind meal deals to help with spreading out the flow of people to and from the ground would be nice.
I'm looking forward to it whatever,but a few pints of Harvey's and some hot food would still be nice.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Why are they false figures? They are statistics but the problem is you fear they'll stop you doing what you want so you decide to consider them false.

Yes, you have been lucky, but if you look at the number of infections over the last year, others haven't. You don't say if you have ever taken a test. If not, who knows, you may have been asymptomatic and been a spreader! You say life's too sort, well for some life became a lot shorter than they were possibly expecting. There are those that have long covid, ie symptoms for in excess of 12 weeks. Some of them will have made a full recovery and some will have lasting damage to their bodies.

As for getting on with life, wearing a mask hardly impinges on that. Infections rates are on the rise and now, so are deaths. Hopefully due to vaccinations, not as many as the second wave.

As for the return of fans, I think it's a step forward and if I need to wear a mask to be able to watch the football I certainly will.

I don't fear the state will stop me what I want to do. I'm sorry if you don't agree but IMO a death of someone who has tested positive in last 28 days of is not proof that they died of COVID, that is a misleading stat. I don't have to wear a mask but I do where ever I go. From the 19th I will carry a mask to wear if the place I'm going to demand it, if not I will not wear one. My company have advised us it's company policy to keep the restrictions in place and I respect that decision.
I have taken 30 odd tests for covid but have never tested positive, I must be a lucky one. Imho I believe we need to start living with COVID and get back to normal as soon as possible starting next week, this does not make me a bad person we are all entitled to our opinions. If you believe that this is the wrong approach I respect that.
My father is 83 years old and is suffering from long Covid so yes I can see what this virus can do to people. He started isolating at the start of this along with my mother, for a year all we saw of them was through a window from the bottom of the garden, unfortunately during this time they both caught COVID, my mum mild form but dad really bad. I received a phone call from my dad back in February asking me to visit, I did and we spoke at length about his condition, his words were " it our 60th anniversary in April, I want my family with them to celebrate, he said don't let this thing get you down, you never know what's around the corner live you life the best you can"
Maybe this is the reason why I'm all for a full reopening, as I said I will follow any laws that requires me to wear a face mask, but if it's left to me to decide especially outside I will not.
I don't think shop will make it mandatory, remember we use to have to queue to get into shops with them limiting how many people could be in there, as soon as face masks became law, that went out the window and social distancing was gone.

I see some reports that T&T has recorded over 500 thousand people advised to isolate, again I believe that this is a false number, what's the use of scanning in when you don't scan out, maybe someone can explain this to me.

Sorry again if my attitude offends some on here, this is just my opinion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't fear the state will stop me what I want to do. I'm sorry if you don't agree but IMO a death of someone who has tested positive in last 28 days of is not proof that they died of COVID, that is a misleading stat. I don't have to wear a mask but I do where ever I go. From the 19th I will carry a mask to wear if the place I'm going to demand it, if not I will not wear one. My company have advised us it's company policy to keep the restrictions in place and I respect that decision.
I have taken 30 odd tests for covid but have never tested positive, I must be a lucky one. Imho I believe we need to start living with COVID and get back to normal as soon as possible starting next week, this does not make me a bad person we are all entitled to our opinions. If you believe that this is the wrong approach I respect that.
My father is 83 years old and is suffering from long Covid so yes I can see what this virus can do to people. He started isolating at the start of this along with my mother, for a year all we saw of them was through a window from the bottom of the garden, unfortunately during this time they both caught COVID, my mum mild form but dad really bad. I received a phone call from my dad back in February asking me to visit, I did and we spoke at length about his condition, his words were " it our 60th anniversary in April, I want my family with them to celebrate, he said don't let this thing get you down, you never know what's around the corner live you life the best you can"
Maybe this is the reason why I'm all for a full reopening, as I said I will follow any laws that requires me to wear a face mask, but if it's left to me to decide especially outside I will not.
I don't think shop will make it mandatory, remember we use to have to queue to get into shops with them limiting how many people could be in there, as soon as face masks became law, that went out the window and social distancing was gone.

I see some reports that T&T has recorded over 500 thousand people advised to isolate, again I believe that this is a false number, what's the use of scanning in when you don't scan out, maybe someone can explain this to me.

We're going to have to agree to disagree regarding the stats.

The problem with this pandemic has been the impotent management by the government.

Regarding the app, if you are pinged, it is only guidance so you should act responsibly. The reason is that the app is voluntary. My daughter got pinged last week but she had just spent 10 days in isolation prior to that and was only in the exam room to catch up with a mock exam. We rang 119 and they advised it was only guidance. When you are required to isolate is when track and trace contact you. As for not scanning out, I believe the app stops recording you at a venue from midnight. (another example of how poor the response to the pandemic has been from the government).

Sorry to hear about you dad, hope you were able to celebrate the 60th (did you arrange the 'telegram' from the Queen?). My niece who is in her early 30s has long covid. It's not nice and the long term effects are currently not yet fully know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We're going to have to agree to disagree regarding the stats.

The problem with this pandemic has been the impotent management by the government.

Regarding the app, if you are pinged, it is only guidance so you should act responsibly. The reason is that the app is voluntary. My daughter got pinged last week but she had just spent 10 days in isolation prior to that and was only in the exam room to catch up with a mock exam. We rang 119 and they advised it was only guidance. When you are required to isolate is when track and trace contact you. As for not scanning out, I believe the app stops recording you at a venue from midnight. (another example of how poor the response to the pandemic has been from the government).

Sorry to hear about you dad, hope you were able to celebrate the 60th (did you arrange the 'telegram' from the Queen?). My niece who is in her early 30s has long covid. It's not nice and the long term effects are currently not yet fully know.

Look at your check-in history on the app……..when you scan a QR at a pub/caff it essentially keeps you logged there until midnight on the day you logged in. No wonder there are so many unnecessary pings.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I am not offended by your attitude. I do think though that it is one that puts the importance of you and your life over and above that of society. Not you specifically because there is a substantial minority with this mindset. We could debate the ethics of this but I sense we wouldn’t get anywhere because the individual desire to ‘get on with life’ outweighs responsibility to the collective and its weakest members. You are basically saying you will follow the rules but go no further. The problem with where we are headed with the rules is demonstrated currently in Holland. The individualistic ‘freedom’ approach has sent infection rates soaring and caused a re-tightening of rules. What it demonstrates is that this attitude does not work in a pandemic and many people are learning the hard way that putting others first is actually in everyone’s interest. This thread is about the return of fans. To my mind it is more important that it be about the SAFE return of fans, not just pretending the virus away and carrying on where we left off. If we/you do that and the consequence is an increase in infections/hospitalizations/deaths/Long Covid then fans will be banned again by the Autumn. You see your actions do matter and you could compromise your long term interests by making the wrong short term decisions. If you are relying on the Government to give the correct advice then you should know that its most important members are Libertarians so they focus on individual rights over the collective. To adapt a well used phrase; short term gain for long term pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here