Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I do understand what the Government is trying to do here. We have become conditioned by statistics and being effectively told what to do. There has to come a point where this is released and society needs to take responsibility for its actions.

We need to learn to live with this disease. We have a vaccine but people will die of it - like they do with other infections. Like most others, I’ll keep sensible, wear masks when I need to but I genuinely feel we all need to get on with our lives now. And that includes going to the Amex.

What worries me is zealots on both sides of this. Those who criticise me for daring to not wear a mask all the time and those who think wearing a mask is ridiculous at all times.

As is usually the case, the middle ground is the most sensible. Achieving a balance is the responsibility of all of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it is just a case of the Government passing the buck. They've made crap decisions all through the pandemic whether they were wrong or just too late and now they've just said sod it, you lot (ie the public) can now take the blame.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is just a case of the Government passing the buck. They've made crap decisions all through the pandemic whether they were wrong or just too late and now they've just said sod it, you lot (ie the public) can now take the blame.

Very much my thinking as well, if we go back into lock-down I can see this current government saying it's all your fault as you acted irresponsibly.

Boris had the audacity in one Press Briefing of blaming Sadiq Khan for the state of TFL finances thus suffering shocking amnesia with regard to how Covid has affected that business as he introduced a lock-down where people were not to travel.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Or she could have caught it at work ? My wife also works at an SEN school and tests twice a week. Quite a number of staff have tested positive over the last few months. The profile of the students is such that they don’t do social distancing nor wear masks.

She hasn't caught it, she has tested negative and nobody currently has it at the school

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do understand what the Government is trying to do here. We have become conditioned by statistics and being effectively told what to do. There has to come a point where this is released and society needs to take responsibility for its actions.

We need to learn to live with this disease. We have a vaccine but people will die of it - like they do with other infections. Like most others, I’ll keep sensible, wear masks when I need to but I genuinely feel we all need to get on with our lives now. And that includes going to the Amex.

What worries me is zealots on both sides of this. Those who criticise me for daring to not wear a mask all the time and those who think wearing a mask is ridiculous at all times.

As is usually the case, the middle ground is the most sensible. Achieving a balance is the responsibility of all of us.

Thank you, this is what I was trying to say but I don't think i came across as clear a message as how you have put it.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes and No

The App pings different messages:

If you have been at the venue on the same day as someone who has tested positive you may get a ping which is effectively a warning to watch out for symptoms and get a test if you have symptoms

Then

You will get a ping to self isolate if you have been in close contact (for at least 15 minutes) with someone who has tested positive

So transfer that to the Amex, you won't be asked to self isolate if you haven't been close to the person who tested positive.
If you were close to that person on the concourse before the game or were seated close to them you would get pinged to self isolate.

Is say 10 people went down with covid having been at the same game then everyone who checked in may get the warning to watch out.

Hopefully all clear?

So does it track your movements, i.e you say being close to someone on the concourse, I could be at one end and the person who tested positive maybe at the other end? How close do you have to be. If I was seated in the stands, will the text advise what block the positive person was seated?

Yoda

English & European
My neighbour got pinged on Wednesday. She tests twice a week as works in a special needs school and couldn't work out where she had contact. Yesterday her neighbour the other side told her from her garden that her son had tested positive after a night out. Her phone was obviously close enough through the wall to appear to be close contact to get pinged. There's no wonder people are uninstalling the app.

As I had said on the main Covid thread, the exact same reason why I never installed it. My phone has been able to pick up blue tooth devices up to 10m away and through 3 walls in my flat.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Looking at the behaviour of the TWATS at Wembley over the weekend, do you really believe that people will take responsibility for their actions? This society had become full of self entitled wankers who care nothing for anyone but themselves.

Welcome to post brexit Johnson’s brave new Britain

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
So does it track your movements, i.e you say being close to someone on the concourse, I could be at one end and the person who tested positive maybe at the other end? How close do you have to be. If I was seated in the stands, will the text advise what block the positive person was seated?

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54250736 - there is a simple graphic that explains how close, and for how long.

This info has been available for almost a year, now.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
iNews: ‘Wembley variant’: England fans report soaring Covid cases after gathering for Euro 2020 final.
https://inews.co.uk/news/wembley-variant-covid-cases-england-fans-euro-2020-final-1107370

This is why the PL season should start with limited capacities or behind closed doors, these will all be super spreader events. With overall cases likely to be 70-80,000 daily by the time the season kicks off each game will be attended by literally hundreds of people knowingly or otherwise otherwise who have covid, with no social distancing in place this will help further fan the 3rd wave.

At the very least it is the duty of every PL club to at least put in place measures meaning people who do not want to be part of this ridiculous gamble with people's health and the NHS can get a refund on their tickets without any loss of status.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have a ticket for the T20 v Pakistan at Old Trafford on Tuesday. Full house and no Covid checks at all. They ”recommend” a Lateral Flow Test but make it clear it is voluntary.

I’m 50/50 at the moment as to whether I go or not. Had my vaccine in November as part of a trial and I don’t know if it’s still working.

Saw the crowd last night and thought **** that. Have listed my ticket to resell.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very much my thinking as well, if we go back into lock-down I can see this current government saying it's all your fault as you acted irresponsibly.

Boris had the audacity in one Press Briefing of blaming Sadiq Khan for the state of TFL finances thus suffering shocking amnesia with regard to how Covid has affected that business as he introduced a lock-down where people were not to travel.

To be fair largely it is.

People have acted like blithering idiots throughout the pandemic, regardless of restrictions.

Even if the government maintains restrictions people are already beginning to ignore them.

Even now when there is an option of reducing the risk by having two jabs, people are rebelling, because ‘they won’t be told what to do’.

Frankly, if people haven’t had both jabs they shouldn’t be let in sporting arenas IMO, for their own safety. (Obviously I accept immuno-compromised conditions apply, but then if I had one I’m not sure I’d put myself in that position).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The current "policy" with "Freedom Day" looming is a recipe for disaster. A combination of industry and commerce grinding to a halt due to "Pinging", the unrevised app, accompanied with dramatically increased numbers of Covid infections, hospital admissions and deaths will force the Government into another massive U-turn, the return of a lockdown and with the blame being placed, by the government, firmly at the door of the scientists and the irresponsible general public.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is why the PL season should start with limited capacities or behind closed doors, these will all be super spreader events. With overall cases likely to be 70-80,000 daily by the time the season kicks off each game will be attended by literally hundreds of people knowingly.

My advice for anyone attending a super spreader event is get your shots in early and give it to them before they give it to you :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will be interesting to see what if any conditions the Albion apply to the Getafe game other than cashless and digital ticket.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The current "policy" with "Freedom Day" looming is a recipe for disaster. A combination of industry and commerce grinding to a halt due to "Pinging", the unrevised app, accompanied with dramatically increased numbers of Covid infections, hospital admissions and deaths will force the Government into another massive U-turn, the return of a lockdown and with the blame being placed, by the government, firmly at the door of the scientists and the irresponsible general public.

They will probably try to do that, but I doubt it will stick. The vast, vast majority of people are happy to carry on with mask-wearing and social distancing, but the Government has said "no - do what you like", in the face of all the scientific evidence. If there's a U-turn, then I think all the fingers will be pointed at BoJo and his libertarian chums, who really couldn't organise the proverbial piss up. As the FT reported, there were moves in government a few weeks ago to push back "Freedom Day", but the whips didn't think they had the numbers (on the Tory benches) to succeed, and they weren't sure that the opposition parties would support it [seeing it as an opportunity to massively undermine Johnson's leadership]. What's happening now has very little to do with data, or public health - it's just politics.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I imagine this will include sporting events

[tweet]1417150617529749510[/tweet]

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I imagine this will include sporting events

[tweet]1417150617529749510[/tweet]

This is great news. Will hopefully put more pressure on those who won't get themselves vaccinated for all sorts of silly reasons (lazy, misinformed, "won't be told what to do", a bit mad, a bit scared of needles, etc) to do so. But there MUST be medical exemption certification available for those who genuinely cannot be vaccinated. Oh god, I can't believe I've just willingly got myself involved in a covid discussion... ugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here