Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Return of Fans

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I am not offended by your attitude. I do think though that it is one that puts the importance of you and your life over and above that of society. Not you specifically because there is a substantial minority with this mindset. We could debate the ethics of this but I sense we wouldn’t get anywhere because the individual desire to ‘get on with life’ outweighs responsibility to the collective and its weakest members. You are basically saying you will follow the rules but go no further. The problem with where we are headed with the rules is demonstrated currently in Holland. The individualistic ‘freedom’ approach has sent infection rates soaring and caused a re-tightening of rules. What it demonstrates is that this attitude does not work in a pandemic and many people are learning the hard way that putting others first is actually in everyone’s interest. This thread is about the return of fans. To my mind it is more important that it be about the SAFE return of fans, not just pretending the virus away and carrying on where we left off. If we/you do that and the consequence is an increase in infections/hospitalizations/deaths/Long Covid then fans will be banned again by the Autumn. You see your actions do matter and you could compromise your long term interests by making the wrong short term decisions. If you are relying on the Government to give the correct advice then you should know that its most important members are Libertarians so they focus on individual rights over the collective. To adapt a well used phrase; short term gain for long term pain.[/QUO

I understand your views, but at some stage we need to live with this, I don't think it's going away. We have had a strict lockdown and the virus is still here. The original point I was making was that to me the figures about deaths are false. Last week we are told over half a million people were pinged bt T&T, a system that you scan yourself in but not out. If I scan in a shop at 3pm and then go home at 3.30 i will get a text to say I need to isolate because someone that had tested positive was in the store after I had left. Wife's friend mother was given 3 weeks to live with terminal cancer, she was taken ill and went into hospital where she tested positive for covid, 4 weeks later she passed away. Death certificate stated COVID, did that kill her or was it the cance.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Look at your check-in history on the app……..when you scan a QR at a pub/caff it essentially keeps you logged there until midnight on the day you logged in. No wonder there are so many unnecessary pings.

My neighbour got pinged on Wednesday. She tests twice a week as works in a special needs school and couldn't work out where she had contact. Yesterday her neighbour the other side told her from her garden that her son had tested positive after a night out. Her phone was obviously close enough through the wall to appear to be close contact to get pinged. There's no wonder people are uninstalling the app.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My neighbour got pinged on Wednesday. She tests twice a week as works in a special needs school and couldn't work out where she had contact. Yesterday her neighbour the other side told her from her garden that her son had tested positive after a night out. Her phone was obviously close enough through the wall to appear to be close contact to get pinged. There's no wonder people are uninstalling the app.

Or she could have caught it at work ? My wife also works at an SEN school and tests twice a week. Quite a number of staff have tested positive over the last few months. The profile of the students is such that they don’t do social distancing nor wear masks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

To be fair it is the nature of bluetooth, proximity is a few meters. Personally I would like to see a 'test release' type scenario for those being pinged by the app (Which of course is only 'advisory') - but with the double jab rule coming in soon anyway I doubt we will see a change now

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I have a ticket for the T20 v Pakistan at Old Trafford on Tuesday. Full house and no Covid checks at all. They ”recommend” a Lateral Flow Test but make it clear it is voluntary.

I’m 50/50 at the moment as to whether I go or not. Had my vaccine in November as part of a trial and I don’t know if it’s still working.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have a ticket for the T20 v Pakistan at Old Trafford on Tuesday. Full house and no Covid checks at all. They ”recommend” a Lateral Flow Test but make it clear it is voluntary.

I’m 50/50 at the moment as to whether I go or not. Had my vaccine in November as part of a trial and I don’t know if it’s still working.

On the Open golf coverage on 5 Live the commentator just said appreciatively, "the spectator area by the first hole is absolutely mobbed; it's just a sea of humanity."

Not entirely sure if this is a good thing but it seems the genie is out the bottle now. No way the govnt will be able to row back from this, regardless of what the science does or doesn't say. Mass compliance is pretty much binned now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm at The Open today - COVID 'passport' was checked twice, but nothing more than a cursory glance at the QRC. A screenshot of someone elses would have been fine. Absolute waste of time.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Winter vomiting virus warning for England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57865112

England is experiencing an unseasonable rise in winter vomiting virus, officials are warning.

Public Health England (PHE) says 154 norovirus outbreaks have been reported in the last five weeks, compared to an average of 53 over the same time period in the previous five years.

Most have been in educational settings, particularly in nurseries.

But cases are returning to pre-pandemic levels across all age groups and settings and people should be on alert.

Symptoms include sudden, projectile vomiting and diarrhoea.

It is very contagious - people sick with it can shed billions of norovirus particles. It only takes a few of these virus particles to infect others.

Norovirus facts:
It spreads through direct contact with others who have it or contaminated surfaces
It may be extremely unpleasant, but usually goes away in about two days
You can usually treat it at home, with rest and lots of fluids to avoid dehydration
PHE says it is possible that unusual or more out-of-season increases could be seen in the coming months following further easing of Covid control measures. A similar pattern was seen in Australia when it relaxed some restrictions.

If you or a child has norovirus, the advice is to stay at home. Do not return to work or send children to school until 48 hours after symptoms have cleared.

Avoid visiting your GP but if you are concerned, particularly about a young child or baby with symptoms, do contact NHS 111 or talk to your GP by phone, says PHE.

The officials say they will continue to closely monitor the situation. And they say there are practical things you can do to reduce your risk of catching and spreading it:

Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water. Unlike for Covid, alcohol gels do not kill off norovirus
Bleach in hot water does work to clean contaminated surfaces, such as toilets and taps.
If you are ill, avoid cooking and helping prepare meals for others until 48 hours after symptoms have stopped, to avoid passing the infection on
Wash any contaminated clothing or bedding using detergent and at 60°C, and if possible, wear disposable gloves to handle contaminated items
Symptoms, which can include a high temperature, abdominal pain and aching limbs as well as vomiting, appear one to two days after people become infected.

Outbreaks have been known to affect hospitals and care homes too. Avoid visiting elderly or poorly relatives, particularly if they are in hospital.

Dr Nick Scriven, past president of the Society for Acute Medicine, said: "We are now just days away from the lifting of the remaining [Covid] restrictions in England and our NHS is under great strain.

"This has been compounded today by the warning that cases of norovirus, commonly known as the winter vomiting bug, have now reached pre-pandemic levels in summer.

"Considering the impact this has when it makes its way into hospitals - bed closures, infecting seriously unwell people and staff absence - it is frankly very worrying."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There does need to be an element of risk management for those attending and relying on most people to do the right thing. There is also plenty of examples within my friends this week of negative lateral flows and then a positive PCR. Unless we restrict attendees to just those vaccinated I can't see a better way

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I understand your views, but at some stage we need to live with this, I don't think it's going away. We have had a strict lockdown and the virus is still here. The original point I was making was that to me the figures about deaths are false. Last week we are told over half a million people were pinged bt T&T, a system that you scan yourself in but not out. If I scan in a shop at 3pm and then go home at 3.30 i will get a text to say I need to isolate because someone that had tested positive was in the store after I had left. Wife's friend mother was given 3 weeks to live with terminal cancer, she was taken ill and went into hospital where she tested positive for covid, 4 weeks later she passed away. Death certificate stated COVID, did that kill her or was it the cance.[/QUOTE]

The figures aren't false, they are people that have died within 28 days of a positive test. You know that but you still bang on about it. If anything the figures are understated as they exclude people who have died over 28 days after a positive test. Also, some will have died purely because of covid and some will be because covid exacerbated an existing condition. You wife's 'friend's' mother may well have had cancer but it could still have been the covid that cause or accelerated her demise. I'm guessing you weren't the attending physician!!! Have you seen the death certificate? Was Covid the only factor mentioned?

As for lockdown, we haven't had anything like a strict lockdown, we just played at doing it.

As for the app, it's voluntary so any notification on it isn't legally binding.

We get it, you don't want to wear a mask.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I understand your views, but at some stage we need to live with this, I don't think it's going away. We have had a strict lockdown and the virus is still here. The original point I was making was that to me the figures about deaths are false. Last week we are told over half a million people were pinged bt T&T, a system that you scan yourself in but not out. If I scan in a shop at 3pm and then go home at 3.30 i will get a text to say I need to isolate because someone that had tested positive was in the store after I had left. Wife's friend mother was given 3 weeks to live with terminal cancer, she was taken ill and went into hospital where she tested positive for covid, 4 weeks later she passed away. Death certificate stated COVID, did that kill her or was it the cance.

My understanding of the way that the app works is not the same as yours. If you are pinged because you've been to a location where someone tests positive, then that will be because you were in the location AT THE SAME TIME as the person who has Covid. On the government website the wording is as follows:

"The app includes a notification feature which will alert you if....you’ve visited a venue, which later reports other positive cases while you were there"

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

The figures aren't false, they are people that have died within 28 days of a positive test. You know that but you still bang on about it. If anything the figures are understated as they exclude people who have died over 28 days after a positive test. Also, some will have died purely because of covid and some will be because covid exacerbated an existing condition. You wife's 'friend's' mother may well have had cancer but it could still have been the covid that cause or accelerated her demise. I'm guessing you weren't the attending physician!!! Have you seen the death certificate? Was Covid the only factor mentioned?

As for lockdown, we haven't had anything like a strict lockdown, we just played at doing it.

As for the app, it's voluntary so any notification on it isn't legally binding.

We get it, you don't want to wear a mask.[/QUOTE]

If you read my previous post I said I have no problem about wearing a face mask, so I don't know where you get that from. Yes it did see friends mother certificate it stated COVID as cause of death.
I just don't trust the figures. Just my opinion. Its best to agree to disagree. As per your other reply to my thread, yes my parents did get anniversary card from the Queen,
Hopefully they will be around another 5 years to get a second one from the Queen or maybe king.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I do understand what the Government is trying to do here. We have become conditioned by statistics and being effectively told what to do. There has to come a point where this is released and society needs to take responsibility for its actions.

We need to learn to live with this disease. We have a vaccine but people will die of it - like they do with other infections. Like most others, I’ll keep sensible, wear masks when I need to but I genuinely feel we all need to get on with our lives now. And that includes going to the Amex.

What worries me is zealots on both sides of this. Those who criticise me for daring to not wear a mask all the time and those who think wearing a mask is ridiculous at all times.

As is usually the case, the middle ground is the most sensible. Achieving a balance is the responsibility of all of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
My understanding of the way that the app works is not the same as yours. If you are pinged because you've been to a location where someone tests positive, then that will be because you were in the location AT THE SAME TIME as the person who has Covid. On the government website the wording is as follows:

"The app includes a notification feature which will alert you if....you’ve visited a venue, which later reports other positive cases while you were there"

But it doesn't know when I left. My understanding is that unless you tap your device when you enter another place it will show that you have been in the first shop up until midnight. I might be wrong on that, maybe someone can clarify that.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
What worries me is the fact that 50 people a day are dying (and the figure will very likely increase), over 50,000 new infections are occurring every day, and only just over half the population is fully vaccinated [the Government keeps quoting the numbers as a proportion of Adults, but children catch - and transmit - the disease too].

I'm worried by the sheer number of eminent scientists who are highlighting that the UK's approach is highly risky, with the potential for new, vaccine-resistant strains:

https://www.johnsnowmemo.com

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
But it doesn't know when I left. My understanding is that unless you tap your device when you enter another place it will show that you have been in the first shop up until midnight. I might be wrong on that, maybe someone can clarify that.

Good point - I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the thing worked using Bluetooth, and a fancy algorithm, so you only got pinged if you were in close proximity to someone for 15 mins or more. So presumably if you'd left the location before the Covid carrier arrived, you couldn't meet those criteria, and therefore wouldn't be pinged.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
What worries me is the fact that 50 people a day are dying (and the figure will very likely increase), over 50,000 new infections are occurring every day, and only just over half the population is fully vaccinated [the Government keeps quoting the numbers as a proportion of Adults, but children catch - and transmit - the disease too].

I'm worried by the sheer number of eminent scientists who are highlighting that the UK's approach is highly risky, with the potential for new, vaccine-resistant strains:

The problem with quoting the number of children vaccinated is that it is currently more or less nil and the intention is that it should remain at nil. If that is to be a justification for restrictions, then restrictions can never end.

Ditto the problem with vaccine resistant strains. If children are to be allowed to get an education and are to be unvaccinated, then the virus will spread and will test the vaccine. What alternative is there?

Yoda

English & European

I feel like I'm covering old ground here, but the the way I understand all of this, is vaccine has worked our immune system to focus on the spike protein.

For the virus to become resistant to the vaccine, it will have to have a mutation on the spike protein.

This is the same spike protein that the virus uses to latch onto our cells to infect us, by making a change to the spike protein, the virus will eventually make itself less effective at binding to our cells to infect us, reducing the efficacy of the virus.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Yes and No

The App pings different messages:

If you have been at the venue on the same day as someone who has tested positive you may get a ping which is effectively a warning to watch out for symptoms and get a test if you have symptoms

Then

You will get a ping to self isolate if you have been in close contact (for at least 15 minutes) with someone who has tested positive

So transfer that to the Amex, you won't be asked to self isolate if you haven't been close to the person who tested positive.
If you were close to that person on the concourse before the game or were seated close to them you would get pinged to self isolate.

Is say 10 people went down with covid having been at the same game then everyone who checked in may get the warning to watch out.

Hopefully all clear?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I do understand what the Government is trying to do here. We have become conditioned by statistics and being effectively told what to do. There has to come a point where this is released and society needs to take responsibility for its actions.

We need to learn to live with this disease. We have a vaccine but people will die of it - like they do with other infections. Like most others, I’ll keep sensible, wear masks when I need to but I genuinely feel we all need to get on with our lives now. And that includes going to the Amex.

What worries me is zealots on both sides of this. Those who criticise me for daring to not wear a mask all the time and those who think wearing a mask is ridiculous at all times.

As is usually the case, the middle ground is the most sensible. Achieving a balance is the responsibility of all of us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be off with your reasonable opinions :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here