Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
A vote for the COAL SHED here. Wen't there a few months back and was knocked out by the place. The service was fantastic, there was a group of about 10-12 of us so we sat at the back in that cushioned area and everyone was very happy with their food. The waiter spent all night sitting with us, bringing and discussing wines for us to try and buy, it really was top notch. I went for the fillet steak (£25 and that is ALL you get, the chips/potatoes/veg etc is extra) and it was simply the finest steak I have ever eaten. I go for medium rare and it was melt in your mouth stuff, my wife (ex veggie till I met her :) ) would NEVER touch rare cooked meat, she has everything well done do the point of it burning but that night she tried mine and that was it, she was converted. The oysters looked amazing, served on ice and the presentation was sensational. One thing, it will cost you. I think the bill per couple was nudging £200 but we did go a bit mental with the wine :)

9 out of 10 from me

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Do you know what type of food they do other than a Sunday roast and is it very good.

It's only a small menu , 5 Mains .
There were 2 roasts , pork & beef , a chicken dish , a fish dish and another I don't recall .
I'd imagine the menu is changed quite regulary
Give the pub a call , they'll happily rattle it off for you ; Royal Oak at Wineham, West Sussex | Horsham Pub Guide
Forgot to mention the Ales ; Harveys Best , Darkstar Hophead & Old Chestnut .
They're drawn from the barrel in a Still Room adjoining the back of the bar .

Gresham Flyer

Sep 5, 2011
Went to the Giggling Squid in Brighton last night, very disappointing. Dreadful service by miserable clueless waiteresses and the food was at best average.
Street Thai just round the corner is far better in my opinion.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria Shoreham - once again top notch and quality food, nice for Fathers Day

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went to the Giggling Squid in Brighton last night, very disappointing. Dreadful service by miserable clueless waiteresses and the food was at best average.
Street Thai just round the corner is far better in my opinion.

Yep. Giggling Squid is poor. Was very disappointed with the food and the atmosphere was non existant.

Did Gars on Saturday. Wasn't great this time to be honest but I didn't pay so hey ho.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Waddup peoples?

Gonna extremely belatedly check out Planet India on Saturday. Does anyone know if it's BYO?

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Go to L'Eglise, the tiny French restaurant at the end of Church Road (almost opposite Hove Tandoori). Order the onglet steak with some greens and a bottle of red. Beats the sh*t out of The Coal Shed (where I had a really ordinary experience).

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Can't believe no one has mentioned Graze in Western Rd? Definately the best restaurant I have been to in Brighton and has been consistently good for the last three years. It is expensive mind but for a special occasion its a must. Would personally go for the tasting menu with a selected wine with each course - this does work out about £65-70 a head but its worth it.
Service - 10
Food - 10
Value - 9

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Also anyone tried the Medicine Chest in Brunswick St - Went once fantastic and second time about three months later very poor. Only six people in the restaurant and we waited over an hour for our first course - would love to go back if anyone thinks its picked up. Great cocktail bar downstairs as well!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't believe no one has mentioned Graze in Western Rd? Definately the best restaurant I have been to in Brighton and has been consistently good for the last three years. It is expensive mind but for a special occasion its a must. Would personally go for the tasting menu with a selected wine with each course - this does work out about £65-70 a head but its worth it.
Service - 10
Food - 10
Value - 9

I think they were on the 2011 thread ( not that it should exclude them from this one ).

I agree, a cracking place with good food. My only complaint, as a regular customer until the end of last year, is that the tasting menu gradually had less and less choice each time I went.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
I think they were on the 2011 thread ( not that it should exclude them from this one ).

I agree, a cracking place with good food. My only complaint, as a regular customer until the end of last year, is that the tasting menu gradually had less and less choice each time I went.

Going this week so will report back if standards have slipped!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Went to Akbars Restaurant in Greek Street, Leeds, last week. Absolutely superb, one of the best curries I've ever had. 9/10

Michel would love their naan breads

mbro%20bme%20award.jpg
Now this is spot on, it has a 'sister' place in Bradford which is even better, but the Leeds location is buzzing. Agree about the naan breads, they are each big enough for 4 people easily, and they come hanging on a big hook clamped to the table.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Seconded! Graze is v. good. Can take a very long time to get in and out though, so don't go if you're in a hurry.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think the Medicine Chest will be with us much longer. Can't really say too much more but I hear the CVA has been breached so funding will probably be withdrawn. All the above is of course allegedly (to cover my arse).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Go to L'Eglise, the tiny French restaurant at the end of Church Road (almost opposite Hove Tandoori). Order the onglet steak with some greens and a bottle of red. Beats the sh*t out of The Coal Shed (where I had a really ordinary experience).

Booked in on this recommedation. Looking forward to snails and a steak.

Not too shocked about the Medicine Chest. It's quite a big building and is never that busy. Shame as I've had a couple of really good meals there (their bread is probably the best thing about the place though).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just had 3 Sunday lunches at the Shepherd & Dog at Falking. Absolutely brilliant, locally produced meat, nice selection of beers, tidy bar staff (!) - little bit pricey but the quality is there in the meal. Got there at 2.30 so caught the tail end of service, so did not have to wait long

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Anyone name a good place for a Worthing Crematorium aftershow meal I've been asked to arrange closeish by & mid price & up ok

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here