Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Splash the cash and go to Jeremy's at Borde Hill or Ockenden Manor. If either place is still going. Sorry just wanted to join in haven't really got much of a clue about Mid Sussex really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have heard not very good reports about Jeremys at Borde Hill it has apparently gone down hill a bit. Ockenden Manor seems to be quite good so I have heard. My problem is that most of my family will ask for steak I am fairly certain. Steak tends to be on the decline in places and you dont get many places that do a good Porterhouse steak now. It is usually a small fillet or a 10 oz sirloin.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interwok, Worthing - reasonable price, good company - excellent meal out

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
went into the BBQ Shack @ The Worlds End on Thursday evening. Had the pulled pork sandwich which was good and also a some onion rings - proper onion rings and a very decent portion size compared to many places. Others had the Club Sandwich or a burger which were also good. Only disappointment was the lack of burnt ends on the menu as the special had sold out - I was looking forward to trying theses. As we were out for a few beers didn't want to eat too much but would definitely go back again and get one of the platters to share to try some of the other meats.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Tommy Elphich (on Twitter) seems to rate the pub at Lower Beeding (The Crabtree) where Jeremy's used to be. Might be worth a look.

Dined at The Crabtree in Lower Beeding last night .
Tastefuly done renovation , inside & out .
The pick of the 4 or 5 different eating areas would have to be the tables located in the glass atrium .
You'd need to book a least a week ahead for these - longer if it's a Fri night/weekend .
A nice relaxed vibe to the place soon had my 80+ year old Dad chilling out with the conversation flowing .
Ales on tap , Harveys & Badger - I think me & Mr Hopping Hare are going to have a wonderful relationship over the coming weeks .
An amuse-bouche of mint & pea soup is served first up .
Next , an excellent deconstructed crab cocktail , followed by baby bream served whole .
Whilst perfectly cooked the fish is a tad disappointing . The dish lacked flavour - some herbs or even some spice wouldn't go amiss . Not hungry enough for dessert so gave that a miss .
Very good , friendly service . I'd score it an 8 of 10 .

The Crabtree - Public House, Lower Beeding, West Sussex

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Off to the Fat Duck this evening(Heston's)for a 14 course tasting menu,will report back when done but from what i've heard i'm in for a once in a lifetime experience,uhhmmm!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has anybody tried Chardonnay Restaurant in Washington as I have seen it many times driving down the A24 and thought about so read some reviews and they differed completely from absolutely brilliant and would go out of my way to use it to complete rubbish and waste of money. If you have a dilemma ask NSC for the answers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Off to the Fat Duck this evening(Heston's)for a 14 course tasting menu,will report back when done but from what i've heard i'm in for a once in a lifetime experience,uhhmmm!!

Wow. I managed to eat there a year or so ago. It's mind blowing, as much about theatre as it is about food. Make sure you go for the tasting wines as well :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only the best for Frau Tubthumper (aka The First Lady of Hove), so I took her for a birthday dinner at Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield, last night. It's the second time we have been and we love it. Does dining get better than this in Sussex? I'd love to know if it does.

As an aside the cricketer Chris Adams was on the next table with some exceedingly posh, slightly scruffy, and slightly tipsy blazered types.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anybody tried Chardonnay Restaurant in Washington as I have seen it many times driving down the A24 and thought about so read some reviews and they differed completely from absolutely brilliant and would go out of my way to use it to complete rubbish and waste of money. If you have a dilemma ask NSC for the answers.

Went a few years back was good, traditional English!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
We went to The Coal Shed on Monday night. Two very good Porterhouse steaks, the best I have had outside of New York. But not cheap - with a modest bottle of red, two starters and a minimum numbers of sides the bill was getting on for £115.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Highly recommend this place - The Duke of Wellington in London if you're Edgware Road/Marylebone/west side of Oxford Street way.

Interesting menu - I had herrings on beetroot with horseradish ice-cream to start and the prices are very reasonable for London. Pub busy so reserve a table upstairs.

Duke of Wellington welcomes you to the premier bar and dining in marylebone london

On your reccomendation , I dined there on Thursday night .
Along with my wife , I took along my 2 cousins I was staying with in Pimlico , plus a nephew & a niece .
What a top pub ! All members of the family tree loved it .
We scored a corner table by the large windows in the bar area .
A neat interesting menu , the food was lovely .
Leffe on tap and some quality Kiwi Sav Blanc were the drinks de jour .
A wondererfully laid back but effiicent service sees The Duke of Boots score a 9 / 10 .
Tip : Book ahead , otherwise it'll be standing room only .

Duke of Wellington welcomes you to the premier bar and dining in marylebone london

Going to try The Coalshed with an old school friend & his missus tommorrow night .

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
anybody tried stanmer house ?

I hear the new head chef quit after a week as they weren't using much in the way of fresh ingredients, as he was promised.

Forgot to put my review of the Coalshed on here.

Ordered a rare steak, which came well done. It was ludicrously expensive and the staff seemed to know little about the menu. 3/10

BTW the best steak I've had in Brighton, strangely, is as Fishy Fishy; their rib-eye is to-die-for!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Went to Wolfgang pucks cut steakhouse @ 45 park lane.

A bit plastic and soulless inside unlike its Beverley hills hotel counterpart but incredible steaks. I believe it is only the second place in the uk to char broil steaks which locks in the flavour and adds a layer of caramelisation.

The wagyu rib eye I had was sublime and up there with anything I've had at Lugers.

Only gripe is the price only go there on expenses or with clients....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Come on then NSC where are the best steaks to be had within about 10- 15 miles of Haywards Heath in any direction, so that virtually covers an area of 15 mile circumference taking in Crawley. Lewes Brighton Shoreham Horsham quite a large area but easily accessible as I do love a decent steak

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Here's one for you City boys. The Door in Cornhill opposite the Bank Of England.
Great choice of steaks (choose between many cuts of Waygu, USA, or Argentine) and not too expensive.
Absolutely fantastic and cooked perfectly.
Big thumbs up from me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Forgot to put my review of the Coalshed on here.

Ordered a rare steak, which came well done. It was ludicrously expensive and the staff seemed to know little about the menu. 3/10

!

Incredible. Completely at odds with everything I've heard and experienced. (It is expensive though)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Does anyone know if you need to book a table in Gars on a mon-thurs, and any other recommendations for a chinese in town? Is that one above yum yum any good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here