Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just been to Jamies for a family lunch and surprisingly good.

Kids had fantastic Spag Bol and mini-burgers with some of the best ice cream ever. The novel menus for them - not sure what their proper name is but they are the binocular type thing with a disk of photos which to click down a lever to get to the next photo - were a brilliant idea. Mini meatball pasta was very good as was the pork belly. The garlic and thyme chips were the best chips I've ever had.

Reasonable price as well. 9/10 - point dropped for the 45 minute wait to get a table as you can't book.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Tosca, Shoreham - went on Friday night with the wife and both of us had very nice pasta dishes. They didn't look that big on the plate but were very filling. Service was good and was also pleased that theyput the groups inone area of the restaurant away from the rest of the diners which made for a good atmosphere without being overpowered by birthday parties etc. 8.5/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria Shoreham (and yes I know for the umpteenth time)

But seriously good meal so 9.5/10

Lovely Jubbly

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Highly recommend this place - The Duke of Wellington in London if you're Edgware Road/Marylebone/west side of Oxford Street way.

Interesting menu - I had herrings on beetroot with horseradish ice-cream to start and the prices are very reasonable for London. Pub busy so reserve a table upstairs.

Duke of Wellington welcomes you to the premier bar and dining in marylebone london

Excellent !
Looking to take out our goddaughter who lives in nearby Kensal Green for drinks & bite to eat
when over in London next month . This will fit nicely .
Thanks for sharing .

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Went to Brio in Shoreham Friday night (been many many times before). As always, food absolutely excellent.

I had mussels to start, they were huge and cooked perfectly. Followed by Grilled Seabass, so moist but cooked through. Wife had Breaded Mozzarella followed by Lasagna Al Forno. Also, couple of friends joined us, one had the Crab Raviolli, immense.

Recommend

9.5/10

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went to Brio in Shoreham Friday night (been many many times before). As always, food absolutely excellent.

I had mussels to start, they were huge and cooked perfectly. Followed by Grilled Seabass, so moist but cooked through. Wife had Breaded Mozzarella followed by Lasagna Al Forno. Also, couple of friends joined us, one had the Crab Raviolli, immense.

Recommend

9.5/10

Careful with those Mussels ! A friend had a major " turnout " on them over there a couple of years back. The shellfish equivalent of WD40 !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I went to Havana in Duke Street the other week, food was fantastic. Best fillet steak I've ever had. Relatively expensive, by Brighton standards, though as I wasn't paying, the pain was lessened considerably.

Loved it.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Went to Chameleon at Fiveways.
Fantastic Thai and very cheap. Good service and hard to fault.
Just a shame it was dead and probably won't be there for much longer.
It's an Enterprise lease and the rent's around £40k I believe so they'll need to be really busy to make it work. Sadly, it was very quiet.

Off to The Hove Bank for some steak on Saturday. Heard good reviews so looking forward to it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Coal Shed

What can I say? Best burger I've ever had. The missus had some lamb thing to start with a tomato salad which she described as the best starter she's ever tasted, it was glorious. Good squid too but THE BURGERS. Oh my DAYS, summat else. Go. We're going back soom for a proper blow out. THe service is friendly and knowledgable. 54 quid for two starters, two brilliant burgers and a bottl of wine represents great value too.

10/10

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Went to Miller and Carter in North Lancing last night - it used to be the Sussex Potter years ago.

Absolutely fantastic would highly recommend the food - quite pricey but best fillet steak I have had since my dad was alive and had a butcher's shop in Brighton.

10/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a BBQ Shack (@The Globe) pulled pork sandwich each and every day of The Great Escape. A little bit disappointed it had been re-heated in a microwave but still a thumbs up. I'm so glad they have expanded from The Worlds End albeit with a limited menu.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Went here for Sunday lunch yesterday on Chiswell Street, London. The Jugged Hare - Welcome to The Jugged Hare

It's full on English meat eating, with veal, rabbit and squirrel pie on the menu as well as some amazing looking roast, steaks, pies etc. Billingsgate market fish too. The food was superb, the staff friendly but not over-attentive, not too pricey either. Highly recommended if you're around The Barbican, but not one for the vegetarians.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Went to Miller and Carter in North Lancing last night - it used to be the Sussex Potter years ago.

Absolutely fantastic would highly recommend the food - quite pricey but best fillet steak I have had since my dad was alive and had a butcher's shop in Brighton.

10/10

I went there last Thursday night, been before but was just me and the missus this time, so went for the chateaubriand to share. My oh my, fan-bloody-tastic. It absolutely fell apart in the mouth. Had a table for two and got moved to a table for 4 as there was soo much food, especially with the carving board and knive for it! :)

A agree that this is slightly pricey, however you get what you pay for AND take a note of the chateaubriand, all other steaks you pay extra for fries, veg etc. With the chateaubriand they come with it as well as 2 sauces, so about the same money. :clap:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'll be honest, and maybe I am a bit of a snob having dined in some of the best steak restaurants around, but I've been to Miller & Carter twice and never really been THAT impressed.

First time was a Sunday and they barely had anything left, service was OK but felt quite rushed. Steaks were 'good' (rib eye), iceberg wedge was looking a bit tired and chips were dry.

Went back for lunch a couple of months back, and service was alright again, but my ribeye although cooked just about right, was pretty tough, iceberg wedge + jacket potato were decent though.

For the price you pay there, I would hesitate giving it another go. It has just never really overly stood out for me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Coal Shed

What can I say? Best burger I've ever had. The missus had some lamb thing to start with a tomato salad which she described as the best starter she's ever tasted, it was glorious. Good squid too but THE BURGERS. Oh my DAYS, summat else. Go. We're going back soom for a proper blow out. THe service is friendly and knowledgable. 54 quid for two starters, two brilliant burgers and a bottl of wine represents great value too.

10/10

Nice one, this has been on the list for a while, but have been put off by some friends, who I Think were just unlucky.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Nice one, this has been on the list for a while, but have been put off by some friends, who I Think were just unlucky.

As you may have been at Miller and Carter. To be honest the iceberg wedge was strange and I didn't bother with it. However, the fries and steak were excellent. I will go back again.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
been to the millar and carter a few times now,its okish,but far to steep in money.
special occasions maybe

i would recommend the steak place by waitrose in worthing macmillians bar,if its just steak your after

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Miller and Carter seemed nothing special at all to me. Standard stuff from a chain. Doesn't excite me.

Went to The Hove Bank at the weekend. I must say the steak (ribeye) was fantastic and cooked to perfection.
A nice touch was the magician that did close magic at our table.
The only problem was that the side dishes must have been dear. 4 steak main courses plus a few sides and 4 bottles of wine came to £180. No starters or desserts.
Thumbs up but it cost a few quid.

PS. I hear they've now secured their 3rd venue in Brighton to go along with The Old Bank and The Hove Bank.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am looking for somewhere to go next year for my 70th birthday in Mid Sussex area for about 20 people. On most of such occasions for the family we have gone to the Sunny Restaurant in Worthing, which we all like but I want somewhere nearer Haywards Heath any recommendations so that I can take my other half before then to try it out. The majority of the people will probably order steak either with or without a sauce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here