Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Giggling Squid, Hove
Did their lunch time tapas deal, £11. Bargain and great food. Duck spring rolls, prawn toast in plum sauce and a lamb curry which I've neever had before. Included potato and cashew nuts. Not very spice, but great taste. Good service and jelly beans with the bill

8/10

Next up for me I think is Havana Spoons for Mothers Day

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria, Shoreham

Total quality, really is improving and very good meal - 9.5 out of 10

Early Mothers Day meal as Junior has the game of the season Sunday, winner takes all well they must win to take the league pennant

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
La Galleria, Shoreham

Total quality, really is improving and very good meal - 9.5 out of 10

Early Mothers Day meal as Junior has the game of the season Sunday, winner takes all well they must win to take the league pennant

Good luck with the footie Sunday then - let's hope its not raining hard this week eh? x

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Had a decent meal at the Chillie Pickle,but would have preferred the sauces over the meal rather than in small containers.
Dont think Tapas should be included in a Restaurant list,okay for a lunch.
Bills good for Breakfast but would not choose them for lunch/evening meal

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Went to the Crabtree Lower Beeding. Firstly excellent menu choice, secondly good service and thirdly, the food lived up to the menu billing. Would recommend the orange sorbet/champagne pre-main additional extra.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to York and Albany in Camden on Friday night, it's part of the Gordon Ramsey empire. Whilst the food was okay it is nothing special but then the prices reflect this.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to Spread Eagle Hotel in Midhurst last night. Part of the same hotel group as Ockenden Manor and on the Sunday Night Special.

Starters of Grilled Mackerel with pickled carrots, caper & raisin purée and herb potatoes were fantastic. Followed by Sussex Pork cooked three ways. Fantastic - 9/10

Breakfast next morning a bit of a let down - 6/10

@Herr Tubthumper - if you like Ockenden then this is well worth a try.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Spread Eagle Hotel in Midhurst last night. Part of the same hotel group as Ockenden Manor and on the Sunday Night Special.

Starters of Grilled Mackerel with pickled carrots, caper & raisin purée and herb potatoes were fantastic. Followed by Sussex Pork cooked three ways. Fantastic - 9/10

It must have improved drastically as I took my wife there when we had a pub in Midhurst and it wasn't very good and certainly not VFM. The best restaurant in Midhurst was in the road nearly opposite where The Swan is on the corner Goudi's rated the 3rd best in the country by The Times at that time (2000) however like many restaurants/pubs what is good one day has a change of management/chef and everything changes, so I will accept your word that it is good now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Cheers for the heads up. I highly rate Ockenden Manor so I'll bear this in mind.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Havana Spoon, Hove

Pretty disappointed. Think it's trying to be something its not. To be fair the starter was good, but the rest not so much. Ordered seafood linguine, but the whole thing was doused in saffron, and everything tasted of saffron, even the shrimp, mussels etc. Not great, but ok. Everyone else had roast dinner, they asked everyone how they wanted their beef, then gave everyone the wrong plate, so they all had to swap. On three different occasions, the staff dropped plates and glasses, smashing on the floor etc. The staff then mucked up the bill over charging us by £52. Pretentious, if Big Fat Gypsy Weddings built a bar/restaurant, this would be it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went to DUE SOUTH last week for their cheapo midweek set menu.

Starter - Pork with a mustard dressing thing was good though tasted JUST too much like jarred frankfurters for my liking
Main - Whiting and chips. Good size and very tasty, could have done with some posh peas though I reckon.

Washed down with some Hepworth Pale Ale. Can't complain at all. Bill came to just over a hundred quid with drinks for four people which isn't bad at all.

7/10

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Riddle and finns tonight with the wonderful Mrs Nick C,Whelks in garlic butter with toasted sour bread,scallops and chorizo and seared king prawns teriyaki style for starters.
Whole crab singapore and chilli style,fillet of sea bass with onion compote and courgette and for pudding a orange cheesecake with edible chocolate cup filled with runny chocolate and a chocolate and raspberry merquise with vanilla ice cream.

I firmly believe that this place is the best place in brighton for seafood and fish,never had to complain or moan about the food,service is always great,atmosphere is relaxed and although not a cheap meal the quality of the food is worth the price.9/10.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is Riddle and Finns the one that is owned by Dermot O Leary as I have been told his is the best fish restaurant in Brighton. I love fish but unfortunately my wife doesn't due to having had too much of it as a child. Her father was a keen seawater fisherman so they had it about 5 times a week.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Is Riddle and Finns the one that is owned by Dermot O Leary as I have been told his is the best fish restaurant in Brighton. I love fish but unfortunately my wife doesn't due to having had too much of it as a child. Her father was a keen seawater fisherman so they had it about 5 times a week.

No,think he's restaurant is called fishy fishy.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

No. That's Fishy Fishy on East Street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Riddle and finns tonight with the wonderful Mrs Nick C,Whelks in garlic butter with toasted sour bread,scallops and chorizo and seared king prawns teriyaki style for starters.
Whole crab singapore and chilli style,fillet of sea bass with onion compote and courgette and for pudding a orange cheesecake with edible chocolate cup filled with runny chocolate and a chocolate and raspberry merquise with vanilla ice cream.

I firmly believe that this place is the best place in brighton for seafood and fish,never had to complain or moan about the food,service is always great,atmosphere is relaxed and although not a cheap meal the quality of the food is worth the price.9/10.

You have reminded me how good this place is. I have not been for a while but me and Frau Tubthumper are now going again on Thursday. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Havana Spoon, Hove

Pretty disappointed. Think it's trying to be something its not. To be fair the starter was good, but the rest not so much. Ordered seafood linguine, but the whole thing was doused in saffron, and everything tasted of saffron, even the shrimp, mussels etc. Not great, but ok. Everyone else had roast dinner, they asked everyone how they wanted their beef, then gave everyone the wrong plate, so they all had to swap. On three different occasions, the staff dropped plates and glasses, smashing on the floor etc. The staff then mucked up the bill over charging us by £52. Pretentious, if Big Fat Gypsy Weddings built a bar/restaurant, this would be it.

Not heard anything good about this place. Totally style over substance.

Good call about Gigglng Squid as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here