Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ok thanks what is the general opinion of that as I have heard good reports.

I have been just the once and the food was fine and the evening very enjoyable. It didn't disappoint but it didn't fill me with huge desire to return quickly either. 6-7/10. Riddle and Finns a short walk away has more precision in the cooking and adventure in the menu in my opinion.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone been to 47 Mussel Row in Littlehampton, or Sylvan Oaks in Findon ? Both look decent

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had a great Thursday night with my bitches (well, the wife and two of her friends). Started off in Brewdog Camden with a couple of beers from the quite amazing 'IPAs not Dead' Hop showcase series: 4 different IPAs all brewed and heavily hopped exactly the same apart from the type of hop used. Both were dry as a bone and very fresh tasting. I also had a 4 ale sampler cricket bat of guest craft ale. Moved with a wobble onto The Mango Room which always delivers a slightly upmarket but reasonably priced Caribbean dish in nice surroundings. I have frequented this restaurant for about 16 years now and they have never let me down. Moved onto the Crown and Goose, a Camden institution which served me way too many but glorious Meantime London Pale Ales before getting kicked out at 2am and heading to Joe's for some jiving. Woke up and drew a thick line under the whole tale with a fry up at the Euston Victory cafe. The belt is on one less notch today.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Supper at Pomegranate near St James's Street on Thursday. Previous visits memorably good. This time the food was distictly average and felt pricey for what it was. Definitely a change in the kitchen. Atmosphere was flat too. Not sure what has happened here but won't be rushing back.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Interwok Worthing - went in a group last night for my Dad's birthday. Multi-cuisine buffet with plenty of choice for food although not that much variety as mainly Chinese - token Italian dish was a pizza that looked like it had come out of a Tesco Value box. Kids enjoyed being able to go up and get their own food - especially the chocolate fountain. However, a lot of the food was not that warm and the meat used was not of great quality. Very few vegetable dishes so you are mainly stuck with meat and rice/noodles. Reminded me of the Golden Corrall restaurants in the states but without the variety of dishes

I went with low expectations and these were met. 4/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The inevitable has happened and Due South has finally completely disappeared up its own arse. I ran past today and it is no more. Replaced by something called Arch Something or other.

Tonight, I'm having fish and chips from The Chip Basket and then wandering along to Noble House to see what the fuss is about.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Had a great Thursday night with my bitches (well, the wife and two of her friends). Started off in Brewdog Camden with a couple of beers from the quite amazing 'IPAs not Dead' Hop showcase series: 4 different IPAs all brewed and heavily hopped exactly the same apart from the type of hop used. Both were dry as a bone and very fresh tasting. I also had a 4 ale sampler cricket bat of guest craft ale. Moved with a wobble onto The Mango Room which always delivers a slightly upmarket but reasonably priced Caribbean dish in nice surroundings. I have frequented this restaurant for about 16 years now and they have never let me down. Moved onto the Crown and Goose, a Camden institution which served me way too many but glorious Meantime London Pale Ales before getting kicked out at 2am and heading to Joe's for some jiving. Woke up and drew a thick line under the whole tale with a fry up at the Euston Victory cafe. The belt is on one less notch today.

Glad to hear the Crown & Goose is still going. Do the same people still run Bar Gansa around the corner too? Practically lived in there when I was a Camden resident 15-odd years ago.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Before anyone says - YES, I know I shouldn't have expected anything different !

Went to Camber Sands for the kids DO NOT eat in the restaurant there !!!!!!! Menu looked OK - Beefeater type stuff. Food was cold and awful. Ended up having an arguement with the "manager" and getting 1/3 of our money back and free ice cream for the kids. Truly awful 1/10 ( and the single mark is only for the girl who was eating there as well with fantastic legs up to her armpits ! ).

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Well yes, you shouldn't have expected anything different. Why not join a few of NSC's finest tomorrow at The Crabtree in Shoreham for a pre Last game bevee and food (I have no connection with them by the way - other than having 1 pint of HSB in 15 seconds after last Sundays marathon). Child and Adult friendly. A bit of a a trek from Westdene I admit but right next to the Station and very good (non frozen) food.

Before anyone says - YES, I know I shouldn't have expected anything different !

Went to Camber Sands for the kids DO NOT eat in the restaurant there !!!!!!! Menu looked OK - Beefeater type stuff. Food was cold and awful. Ended up having an arguement with the "manager" and getting 1/3 of our money back and free ice cream for the kids. Truly awful 1/10 ( and the single mark is only for the girl who was eating there as well with fantastic legs up to her armpits ! ).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Glad to hear the Crown & Goose is still going. Do the same people still run Bar Gansa around the corner too? Practically lived in there when I was a Camden resident 15-odd years ago.

I lived in Camden until 9 years ago and the Goose and Crown is the same as when I left it back then. Bar Ganza was a regular haunt of mine as well. Two great places. Where else did you go? I lived up on South Villas at the top of Camden Square and The Lord Stanley was my local. I used to go to The Elephants Head and The Engine Room on Chalk Farm Rd a lot.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rice and Spice, Haywards Heath last night with the Mid-Sussex Seagulls:

Superb curry and great company

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Table for eight at eight booked for last night at the rock and roller. We were turned away on arrival as Under 18s are not allowed in past 20:00, a small fact missing from their website and not mentioned during the booking process. No loss by the look of things. Had a pleasant enough evening in Giraffe where the company rather than the food was the star turn.

D

Deleted User X18H

I lived in Camden until 9 years ago and the Goose and Crown is the same as when I left it back then. Bar Ganza was a regular haunt of mine as well. Two great places. Where else did you go? I lived up on South Villas at the top of Camden Square and The Lord Stanley was my local. I used to go to The Elephants Head and The Engine Room on Chalk Farm Rd a lot.

Ah ha!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

I lived next door the the Lord Stanley for a while in the late 80s, in fact the wall of my bedroom adjoined the bar. Remember hearing a couple of spectacular brawls on Saturday nights, but it may well have been gentrified by the time you were there.
Camden chose me rather than the other way around when I went to Uni in 83, as I ended up in the student halls halfway up Camden Road. Loved it so much that while I spent time living elsewhere I was always plotting to get back to Camden asap. Eventually bought my first flat on Camden Road, opposite the JFS about 200yds from where I'd first pitched up.
Went to the Elephant's Head among many others on Chalk Farm Road, and up and down Parkway and down towards Mornington Crescent (the Cobden, I think it was, used to do Thai food). Queen's & Engineer in Primrose Hill on summer evenings, and one by the Regent's Canal too though I can't remember its name. Liberties was good fun when Ireland were playing.
The scuzziest pub by a mile on the High Street in the 80s - and there were some real pigstys - was the Brighton, which later turned into Bar Royale.
The one place we loved above all food-wise was the Vegetarian Cottage on Haverstock Hill. Chinese veggie food, never had anything like it before or since. The family who ran it were forced to move on shortly before we left London in 1998, because the landlord trebled the rent. Have searched the web at regular intervals to see if they ever opened up somewhere else, but without success.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Sylvan Oak in Findon.

Top notch food, an absolute hidden (ish) gem. Well priced, good variety of food and 85% locally sourced ingredients in each dish I believe.

Husband and wife team, great atmosphere. Would go again, works on a set menu basis £20 for 2, £26 for 3, 6 choices for each course, about 3 from each course are extra (between £2-£6.)

Jul 20, 2003
Ok thanks what is the general opinion of that as I have heard good reports.

Fishy Fishy report: I've tried lunch and dinner there over the last few weeks - if Riddle and Finns wasn't nearby my opinion of the food would be higher. Both lunch and dinner were fine and reasonably priced but for quality Riddle and Finns wins for me. That said the ambience in the upstairs room at Fishy Fishy for dinner was more relaxed than the 'buzzy/ City' feel of Riddle and Finns and the service felt more sincerely friendly.

Fishy Fishy
food 7
value 7
service 8

Riddle and Finns
food 8
value 7
service 7

Jul 20, 2003
on the subject of fish

English's
Food 4
Value 3
Service 7

somewhat unfair as I last ate there in 2011 but I won't be rushing back unless I hear lots of good reports .... previously went there circa 2009 and it was BAD, before that it was always a solid overall '6'

Jul 20, 2003
Agua Dulce (used to be Latin In The Lane) is due revisiting, went a couple of times last year and again a couple of months back - the piglet is f***ing awesome

Food 7 (Piglet 9)
Value 8
Service 8

Also want to go back to Moonstone, Hove soon. Sri Lankan

Food (Mains 8) (starters and desserts 6)
Value 8
Service 8

Also, also want to try Hove Kitchen .... being a 2 minute walk from home it's a bit odd that I haven't dined there yet, I guess it's proximity means it doesn't feel like eating out.

Had a full English in there a couple of months back and wasn't impressed but I've seen some of lunches and dinners going out to punters and it looks pretty good and my friends who've tried it are generally upbeat. Any thoughts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here