Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Incredible. Completely at odds with everything I've heard and experienced. (It is expensive though)

I should also add that the portions were TINY and I have a VERY small appetite for a tall bloke. Almost everywhere I go I find that I'm given far too much, but I was still hungry after three courses... and you have to pay extra for any veg or whatever.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Come on then NSC where are the best steaks to be had within about 10- 15 miles of Haywards Heath in any direction, so that virtually covers an area of 15 mile circumference taking in Crawley. Lewes Brighton Shoreham Horsham quite a large area but easily accessible as I do love a decent steak

Cote in Horsham, great fillet, they name the farm, field & cows first name on the menu

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Incredible. Completely at odds with everything I've heard and experienced. (It is expensive though)

Indeed. I'm not a steak person myself but I do recall mention of a Brighton steak club stating The Coal Shed is the best in town. I think [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] might be connected with this club and if he says it's good then it is good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cote in Horsham, great fillet, they name the farm, field & cows first name on the menu

Are you serious? I'm not sure how I feel about knowing the name of something I'm about to eat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have tried to book a table there 3 times, the last being late November. The response each time was no reservations unless more than 6 of you, set eating times and then a set menu offered only. Luckily B&H has plenty of restaurants so will wait until they work out who is providing a service to who!
Where were you referring to?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed. I'm not a steak person myself but I do recall mention of a Brighton steak club stating The Coal Shed is the best in town. I think [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] might be connected with this club and if he says it's good then it is good.

I'd be interested to know. The steaks I've had at Fishy Fishy and Hotel du Vin are Infinitely better. I see there is a member of the steak club on page 6.

To be fair, I had a pretty shite steak in Agua Dulce once but people rave about that place too.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I visited the coal shed and here's my two penneth worth. Not too sure about the logic of buying your steak by weight, it actually works out to be fairly pricey. It does seem to be fairly standard procedure nowadays in higher end steak restaurants to charge extra for sides.
The steak I had (ribeye) was great, I actually had a look around the kitchen as I was with a friend who knows a chef there. The grill they use is a josper oven which is a mixture between a chargrill and a salamander grill, this was particularly great on my medium rare steak as the fat rendered down rather than being chewy.
Overall nice for a change and certainly a cut above any other steakhouse around town.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Had a couple of days in Brighton last week - first evening we went to The Ginerbread Man - fantastic.

Second evening Riddle & Finn. BOth really enjoyable but thoroughly receommend the Gingerbread Man (i think it was called that - the restaurant rather than one of the pubs). The foos was absolutely first class.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The Coalshed , Weds night .

Steak . I rarely eat it . Much more interesting food to be had - Morrocan tagine , French cassoulet , Malaysian Laska ... Foods with much more depth of flavour .
But , 2 or 3 times a year my body cycle ticks over to the inner caveman within me and only steak will suffice .
There's been a lot of mentions for The Coalshed on this thread in recent weeks , the overwhelming majority of a very positive nature . Well , I have to say , these high expectaions were never really met . The food was good , service ok and the restaraunt pleasant . Entrees were skipped and it was straight on to the meats . A couple of rib-eyes , a fillet and a dish of marinated chicken , washed down with an Aussie Shiraz of a familiar label . All were cooked as requested - no complaints there . On there own , I found the add-ons were good value for the quality presented . But with the already steep price of the Mains , maybe at least 1 side dish of choice should of been included . Collectively , the 4 of us spent an extra £20 on about 10 sides . For dessert , strawberry tarts and doughnuts were had . All very ho-hum .
If there was to be a highlight it came from 2 unexpected sources . Firstly , the beer . Goosehead IPA from Chicago - absolutely sensational ! With alcholic content bordering on 6 % it don't come cheap , but this lovely brew from across the Atlantic bookended the evening very nicely indeed .
Highlight number 2 was an unfolding drama emanting from the kitchen stairs . It's not often you see 2 people wrestling on the floor with one another in a smart city bistro . Particulary when 1 contestant is the chef / owner and the other combatant is a disgruntled ex-employee ( thanks must be given at this stage to the waitress who when requested cheerfully obliged in filling us in on all the goss ) . The rumble continues upstairs out of sight and 15 mins later PC Plod turns up . Shortly after a man was seen leaving the premises - off to help with their inquiries .
I'd score The Coalshed a 6 , plus add in a 1/2 point each for the 2 additional highlights resulting in a final score of 7 out of 10 .

The Coal Shed Restaurant Gallery | The Coal Shed Restaurant Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Coalshed , Weds night .

Steak . I rarely eat it . Much more interesting food to be had - Morrocan tagine , French cassoulet , Malaysian Laska ... Foods with much more depth of flavour .
But , 2 or 3 times a year my body cycle ticks over to the inner caveman within me and only steak will suffice .
There's been a lot of mentions for The Coalshed on this thread in recent weeks , the overwhelming majority of a very positive nature . Well , I have to say , these high expectaions were never really met . The food was good , service ok and the restaraunt pleasant . Entrees were skipped and it was straight on to the meats . A couple of rib-eyes , a fillet and a dish of marinated chicken , washed down with an Aussie Shiraz of a familiar label . All were cooked as requested - no complaints there . On there own , I found the add-ons were good value for the quality presented . But with the already steep price of the Mains , maybe at least 1 side dish of choice should of been included . Collectively , the 4 of us spent an extra £20 on about 10 sides . For dessert , strawberry tarts and doughnuts were had . All very ho-hum .
If there was to be a highlight it came from 2 unexpected sources . Firstly , the beer . Goosehead IPA from Chicago - absolutely sensational ! With alcholic content bordering on 6 % it don't come cheap , but this lovely brew from across the Atlantic bookended the evening very nicely indeed .
Highlight number 2 was an unfolding drama emanting from the kitchen stairs . It's not often you see 2 people wrestling on the floor with one another in a smart city bistro . Particulary when 1 contestant is the chef / owner and the other combatant is a disgruntled ex-employee ( thanks must be given at this stage to the waitress who when requested cheerfully obliged in filling us in on all the goss ) . The rumble continues upstairs out of sight and 15 mins later PC Plod turns up . Shortly after a man was seen leaving the premises - off to help with their inquiries .
I'd score The Coalshed a 6 , plus add in a 1/2 point each for the 2 additional highlights resulting in a final score of 7 out of 10 .

The Coal Shed Restaurant Gallery | The Coal Shed Restaurant Brighton

This sounds like a top night out.

If you like Goosehead IPA you will need to check out the new Craft bar which is opening tonight on Upper North St where the Princess Victoria used to be. I'm off to Berlin though, and I'll mainly be drinking Kristalweiss and eating wurst.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
This sounds like a top night out.

If you like Goosehead IPA you will need to check out the new Craft bar which is opening tonight on Upper North St where the Princess Victoria used to be. I'm off to Berlin though, and I'll mainly be drinking Kristalweiss and eating wurst.

I Wanted to pop up today (opening today) but I too am off to Germany (Hamburg and Berlin) I shall mostly be drinking Franziskaner and eating Currywurst.

If you get a chance pop along to Schwarzes Cafe, right near savignyplatz s-bahn station. Open 24 hours and do really nice beers including a Kristallweissbier which is called Weihenstephen or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I Wanted to pop up today (opening today) but I too am off to Germany (Hamburg and Berlin) I shall mostly be drinking Franziskaner and eating Currywurst.

If you get a chance pop along to Schwarzes Cafe, right near savignyplatz s-bahn station. Open 24 hours and do really nice beers including a Kristallweissbier which is called Weihenstephen or something along those lines.

That's in West Germany.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Royal Oak , Wineham .

If you're looking for a spot in the country to take Dad for lunch on Fathers Day this will do nicely .
Ate there last Sunday . Enjoyed what was probably the best Sunday pub roast I've ever had .
Chose the loin of pork with crackling & crushed jersey royals . The accompanying plates of vegetables were excellent - cost £12 .
To finish , we order the cheesplate ( £6 ) , and it's an absolute belter . 4 very decent sized chunks of cheese of varying degrees of style & firmness are served up along an array of bicuits/crackers But the piece de resitance comes in the form of the pub's homeade chutney - it's so good we buy a jar of it for a bargain £3 .
Extra crackers & chutney are replenished without charge .
Book ahead as the pub isn't very big and demand won't meet supply come this Sunday . Inside is full of charm & character - the garden area out the front is a lovely spot too if the sun pops out . Unless there's a large group of you ( 8+ ) , avoid the annexe . It lacks the internal hub-bub atmosphere of the lively bar area and is devoid of any views .

The Royal Oak scores a 9 / 10 from me : Royal Oak at Wineham, West Sussex | Horsham Pub Guide

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
DAYS in East St was once a good place to go until I noticed someone went to toilet then without washing his hands picked up some bread then realised he picked up too much and put some back!! lovely and no need to say I didn't fancy the bread

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
DAYS in East St was once a good place to go until I noticed someone went to toilet then without washing his hands picked up some bread then realised he picked up too much and put some back!! lovely and no need to say I didn't fancy the bread

Any buffet place should be avoided as a rule of thumb.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I really was enjoying your post, but what is a "deconstructed" crab cocktail please!?

Dined at The Crabtree in Lower Beeding last night .
Tastefuly done renovation , inside & out .
The pick of the 4 or 5 different eating areas would have to be the tables located in the glass atrium .
You'd need to book a least a week ahead for these - longer if it's a Fri night/weekend .
A nice relaxed vibe to the place soon had my 80+ year old Dad chilling out with the conversation flowing .
Ales on tap , Harveys & Badger - I think me & Mr Hopping Hare are going to have a wonderful relationship over the coming weeks .
An amuse-bouche of mint & pea soup is served first up .
Next , an excellent deconstructed crab cocktail , followed by baby bream served whole .
Whilst perfectly cooked the fish is a tad disappointing . The dish lacked flavour - some herbs or even some spice wouldn't go amiss . Not hungry enough for dessert so gave that a miss .
Very good , friendly service . I'd score it an 8 of 10 .

The Crabtree - Public House, Lower Beeding, West Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here