Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
my house last night!!!i had something to eat i hadnt had in years......

egg and bloody chips,bloody lush.....,free range of course and homemade chips.but brought back many memories
If only you had some slice's of quality ham/gammon,you could of gone to heaven and back,uhhmmm!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ashoka, Hove - to be honest not a good as I had hoped and quire expensive so 6 out of 10

Have you been to The Ganges which is literally next door? It's a lot better than Ashoka and I speak for a lot of people who have a similar view.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Claridges - 6/10.

Starter fine (foie gras terrine) but then they gave my wife the wrong main. The waiter seemed to think that I was going to carry on eating mine until I suggested to him he might wish to take it back as well so the two dishes could be served together. Perhaps given my comment that's why when mine did come back (chicken and ham pie) it was over-seasoned. Consequently due to the wrong order we waited about 45 minutes for the main and it took a shine off the evening. I expected a little better.

Has anyone tried the beef wellington at Chambers in Shoreham? Will probably go there after the Brighton festival racing next month but feel odd ordering food in advance when I might fancy something else on the day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Have you been to The Ganges which is literally next door? It's a lot better than Ashoka and I speak for a lot of people who have a similar view.

No, may try that one next time.

Trouble is our local curry house in Shoreham appears to have gone downhill recently so normally have curries in Worthing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, may try that one next time.

Trouble is our local curry house in Shoreham appears to have gone downhill recently so normally have curries in Worthing

Oh dear, that's a long way to have to go for a curry. Imho The Ganges is a solid and consistently good British style curry house. It's not the cheapest but you pay a fair price for a decent meal and I always leave feeling happy.

A number of NSCers share this view and I always see [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] in there. Give it a go and let us know if you agree.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Oh goodness me. Chameleon at Fiveways are now doing delivery.
Had a couple of curries this evening and again it was awesome.
Sadly, absolutely nobody in there eating. I hope the take-away is a roaring success as the food's awesome and really competitively priced.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had dinner in Cote Brighton last night. Bloody lovely. Food, service and ambience was top notch :thumbsup:

Mrs P: Crab mayonaise followed by roasted duck breast
Me: Rillettes followed by fish parmentier

2 bottles of wine, 2 deserts and 2 liquers, £114

Will definitely revisit.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Had dinner in Cote Brighton last night. Bloody lovely. Food, service and ambience was top notch :thumbsup:

Mrs P: Crab mayonaise followed by roasted duck breast
Me: Rillettes followed by fish parmentier

2 bottles of wine, 2 deserts and 2 liquers, £114

Will definitely revisit.

Ate there twice around a month ago .
Not living in the UK I didn't realise first off that this was part of a chain .
And , just like anything that revolves or has ridicously large menus (unless we're talking yum-cha) I'd normally avoid at all costs .
Well , what a pleasant suprise !
First visit , arrived just before 9.pm on a wet Wednesday night and the joint was absolutely rammed ( it's a large site too - would seat 140+ at a guess ) . Managed to score some banquette seating bang in the middle of it all . Great vibe , food is classic & modern french bistro which is well executed coupled with an amazingly proficient service considering the large crowd .
2nd Visit , a Thursday arvo about 2.30.pm Even at this late hour for lunch the place is still about 40 % full with people still venturing in . Once again , food is top notch - a good selection of specials too .
For the quality & service you recieve , Cote is exceptional value . I score it 9 out of 10 .

Tip : top spot for a pre-theatre meal . 2 courses less than £10 , 3 courses under £12 !

Cote Restaurant - Brighton

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
"Faulty Towers Dining Experience" @ The Thistle.

Starter - Tomato soup - not bad, probably out of a tin with a bit of seasoning added (Manuel adds Basil in a unique way)
Main - Chicken supreme - couple of people on our table felt this was too spicy but I quite liked it, vegetables were a little on the under-cooked side mind
Dessert - Chocolate torte - A bit of a slither size portion but nice enough

It's £45 a head and there was nothing on that menu (it was set) that I couldn't have done myself and if I'd had it in a non-performance eating out setting I wouldn't have paid more than £20 for it. That leaves £25 for the "show" which is probably about right - it's pretty funny, Manuel is excellent, Basil good, Sybil a little bit like that woman who banged the glockenspiel in Grease! I'll probably get tickets for my parents in December so I guess that means I'd recommend it for overall night out. Just don't expect fine dining.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Giovani Rana - Triton Square, London - £45 a head for a very good three course meal with lashings of crisp, cool white wine.

Well worth a visit but quite a bit off the beaten track.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Pitt Cue Co - Soho. Having been to to watch the Beach Volleyball, my son and I walked up to Pitt Cue having seen the reviews in the hope that the queue to get in wasn't too long and was amazed to get a table straight away (flukey timing it seems). Menu is strictly for the carnivore as this is a proper BBQ place. Boy and I both had the pulled pork bun - very good meat, brioche bun - and their BBQ sauce is very good. The boy had BBQ beans - nice mix of beans in their BBQ sauce - and I had the marrowbone mash which was very nice.

The restaurant is tiny - 30 seats in total including a few at the bar upstairs - and they don't take reservations but the place appears to be permanently busy. You also have to share tables with others (the people sat with us had ribs that looked very good and they said tasted even better). One customer did ask for the vegetarian options which got a few sniggers from other diners!

Good value for money if you like BBQ food - drinks very reasonable for that part of London. 10/10

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know its a long way off but if anybody has to go to Chicago for business or pleasure do yourself a favour and go top Joe's Crab and Steakhouse in Rush St near the river and Michigan Avenue, as opposed to Joe's Crab Shack in Kentucky. I went there on Monday evening we had a reservation for 8.00pm but it was jam packed solid and anybody not booking was told an hours wait for a table. The 16oz Rib Eyes steak was the best I have ever had although quite expensive $49, with all accompaniments being extra, it was good value for money. The service was 2nd to none and all in all a very god meal I would recommend it highly to anybody who happens to be in the area.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I posted on the 2011 thread by mistake about Pollen Street Social. Was outstanding can highly recommend!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I am looking for somewhere to go next year for my 70th birthday in Mid Sussex area for about 20 people. On most of such occasions for the family we have gone to the Sunny Restaurant in Worthing, which we all like but I want somewhere nearer Haywards Heath any recommendations so that I can take my other half before then to try it out. The majority of the people will probably order steak either with or without a sauce.

The red lion- chelwood gate

Amazing well presented food quite pricey though but really good

Owner trained at gravetye manor ; so most be good

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Tookta's cafe

Omg the best Thai food I have had outside Bangkok.

Good atmosphere made great by the nutty tookta herself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to The Cinnamon Club last night. It's in The Old Westminster library which is a wonderful building and the food is fancy modern Indian; went for the tasting menu to see what the chef could do and he didn't disappoint. Very precise, firm but balanced flavours. Lovely.

Here's the menu if you're interested:

Roasted plaice fillet with Bengali spiced crab Tandoori breast of Anjou pigeon with chickpea chaat Ground vegetable kebab
Baked wild African prawn with ‘kadhai’ spices
Khus and mint sorbet
Char-grilled halibut with Bengali ‘dopyaza’ sauce, ghee rice
Saddle of Cumbrian wild red deer with with corn and millet kedgeree or
Fillet steak of Wagyu beef with stir-fried baby morels (supplement of £25)
Lassi panna cotta with tamarind glazed English strawberries Coffee and petits fours

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Had Sabai's lunch menu the other day. Two course for 7.95 or three for a tenner. Decent stuff. BBQ Pork followed by a Red curry with chicken for me whilst the missus had Coconut soup with vegetables and then stir fry vegetables with tofu (she thinks she's fat atm). I had the fried ice cream too. Bloody good value for the price and one of the nicest areas to dine outdoors in town on a sunny day imo.

7/10

Sabai Thai Brighton Afternoon Special

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here