Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2012

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
La Choza for lunch this afternoon. Mexican Street food at decent prices. Their pulled pork tacos were wicked, missus enjoyed her burrito very much also. Fresh, vibrant flavours and really friendly staff. Place was packed and has been since it opened judging by the lack of seats very time I've wanted to go in. Three people happily fed with a beer and a glass of wine for 28 quid. Nice.

8/10

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Inside Out Cafe - Full english this morning. Happy medium between greasy spoon and the more upmarket fry ups you get at places like Bills. Generous portions and good bangers. £6.95 with a cuppa and toast which is more than reasonable. Plus the toilet holds an unnerving surprise for first timers. Great location too if you can get a seat outside (not often).

7/10

D

Deleted User X18H

Inside Out Cafe - Full english this morning. Happy medium between greasy spoon and the more upmarket fry ups you get at places like Bills. Generous portions and good bangers. £6.95 with a cuppa and toast which is more than reasonable. Plus the toilet holds an unnerving surprise for first timers. Great location too if you can get a seat outside (not often).

7/10

Where is it?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Brewery tap (North Street) 6/10
Good selection of food, typically burger,chips etc. I had Pork Baguette and wife had spare ribs. Food excellent, wide range of beers on tap. Only downside was the cost. Was very expensive considering what we had/the location etc.. We were also the only people in the 'restaurant' floor of the place (ate on Friday night aprox 7:30) although the downstairs was busy with drinkers.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Cote - went yesterday for lunch. Good service, attentive but not too overbearing. Wife & I had Saucisson and garlic bread for starters followed by Steak Frites with a side order of braised peas for me and chicken with mushrooms and gratin potatoes for the wife. Interesting mix of people in there - there were at least four tables in there with twenty-somethings taking their grandmothers out for lunch.

All very nice and would definitely go back again 9/10

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Anybody been to Fire and Stone in Covent Garden, if so what was your impression?

Been to the one at Gunwharf Quays - they are okay as posh pizzas go and the toppings make a change from the usual but to be honest, you're better off getting some of the discounts available online and going to Pizza Express.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anybody been to Fire and Stone in Covent Garden, if so what was your impression?

Its alright, some interesting combos. Wouldn't rush back, but can say that about most Italians / Pizza places. Worth checking out at least once though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just went to London, went to Zuma in Knightsbridge, on the recommendation of someone I know at Amex Concierge and someone else.

The bar area is very nice, well priced cocktails at £11 each (average) and well made, in front of you. Fresh fruit in a lot of them, rather than juice. Had an excellent one containing Basil & Honey Vodka.

The meal itself, was 'good' without really being amazing. The service seemed a bit rushed, and they never explained the menu (I guessed it was probably order a few and share, but they never said this nor did they say how many per person.)

The soft shell crab was particularly good, though despite not being under the tempura bit on the menu, was deep fried, so we ended up with a few deep friend dishes. The spinach side dish was also very good.

We were seated 15 minutes late, as we wanted a drink at the bar, and because of their license conditions the restaurant has to be shut by midnight, the manager seemed to be floating around our table as we waiting for dessert and we asked for our bill at about 22.15. We then remembered we never got our card back from behind the bar, after asking them to transfer the tab, and there was a 10 minute hunt for our card, and then to merge our bills, meaning we left the table at 22.30. The manager was then quite rushed with us, as obviously he only had 90mins to get someone else at our table, and fed in a short amount of time.

A 'high' 7/10 for me, with the service letting it down a bit, as well as lack of guidance. Wouldn't rush back, but maybe pop in for a drink as the bar was very good.

Also went for a drink at the Mandarin Bar at the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge. This is the bar for Hestons Dinner place. At around £18 a cocktail, it isn't cheap, but it is a nice bar so didn't really mind. I had essentially an Espresso Martini, which was one of the best I have had, however my biggest gripe is the cocktails are made out of sight, and while I don't suspect anything out of hand, part of the magic (and £18!!) should be to see the drinks being made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is the bar for Hestons Dinner place. At around £18 a cocktail, it isn't cheap, but it is a nice bar so didn't really mind. I had essentially an Espresso Martini, which was one of the best I have had, however my biggest gripe is the cocktails are made out of sight, and while I don't suspect anything out of hand, part of the magic (and £18!!) should be to see the drinks being made.

A cocktail appearing from out of nowhere seems pretty magical to me?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
La Choza for lunch this afternoon. Mexican Street food at decent prices. Their pulled pork tacos were wicked, missus enjoyed her burrito very much also. Fresh, vibrant flavours and really friendly staff. Place was packed and has been since it opened judging by the lack of seats very time I've wanted to go in. Three people happily fed with a beer and a glass of wine for 28 quid. Nice.

8/10

Went here for lunch based on this. Food was great, excellent value, but the service is probably the worst I have encountered in a LONG time. Most the staff seemed hungover or on come downs and more interested in berroca and their own food/drink than helping. Wrong food, took 3 attempts for them to actually take our order as they kept walking off. Might be a one off, but they need to sort their shit out. Would give it another go as food was great and excellent value, but only 6/10 insetad of 8/10 due to service.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Has anyone tried the beef wellington at Chambers in Shoreham? Will probably go there after the Brighton festival racing next month but feel odd ordering food in advance when I might fancy something else on the day.

Haven't had the Wellington but Chambers is the best I've found in Shoreham so far.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Went here for lunch based on this. Food was great, excellent value, but the service is probably the worst I have encountered in a LONG time. Most the staff seemed hungover or on come downs and more interested in berroca and their own food/drink than helping. Wrong food, took 3 attempts for them to actually take our order as they kept walking off. Might be a one off, but they need to sort their shit out. Would give it another go as food was great and excellent value, but only 6/10 insetad of 8/10 due to service.

Shame. I was there last night and the food was great and the service was pretty good. The only thing that stopped it being a nine out of ten was the wait for a table and the dickhead on the table next to us who was loud, obnoxious and full of bullshit fighting stories.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Just went to London, went to Zuma in Knightsbridge, on the recommendation of someone I know at Amex Concierge and someone else.

The bar area is very nice, well priced cocktails at £11 each (average) and well made, in front of you. Fresh fruit in a lot of them, rather than juice. Had an excellent one containing Basil & Honey Vodka.

The meal itself, was 'good' without really being amazing. The service seemed a bit rushed, and they never explained the menu (I guessed it was probably order a few and share, but they never said this nor did they say how many per person.)

The soft shell crab was particularly good, though despite not being under the tempura bit on the menu, was deep fried, so we ended up with a few deep friend dishes. The spinach side dish was also very good.

We were seated 15 minutes late, as we wanted a drink at the bar, and because of their license conditions the restaurant has to be shut by midnight, the manager seemed to be floating around our table as we waiting for dessert and we asked for our bill at about 22.15. We then remembered we never got our card back from behind the bar, after asking them to transfer the tab, and there was a 10 minute hunt for our card, and then to merge our bills, meaning we left the table at 22.30. The manager was then quite rushed with us, as obviously he only had 90mins to get someone else at our table, and fed in a short amount of time.

A 'high' 7/10 for me, with the service letting it down a bit, as well as lack of guidance. Wouldn't rush back, but maybe pop in for a drink as the bar was very good.

Also went for a drink at the Mandarin Bar at the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge. This is the bar for Hestons Dinner place. At around £18 a cocktail, it isn't cheap, but it is a nice bar so didn't really mind. I had essentially an Espresso Martini, which was one of the best I have had, however my biggest gripe is the cocktails are made out of sight, and while I don't suspect anything out of hand, part of the magic (and £18!!) should be to see the drinks being made.

Zuma is still the daddy of pan-Asian Japanese fare in London. Even better black cod than the originator; nobu. Service always an issue, had an altercation one of the last times I went so sent a letter to the manager and blagged a free meal which I used at zuma Miami .... Saved about £200 there.

I had a couple of meals in the south of France recently.

La petite maison in nice - modern French restaurant. Simple sharing concept with smaller dishes. Incredibly fresh fish and top quality meat simple yet very effective. Amazingly I think the Mayfair branch of this place is better but still top notch.

Would recommend Dior des lices in st tropez. Pop up restaurant put together by 3* Michelin chef yannick alleno. Probably best meal I have had this summer, and surprisingly reasonably priced.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're in Berlin and bored of sausages check this place out

The Bird - American Steakhouse and Bar, Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin

It's a fun, rock and roll rough around the edges burger and steak joint. The quality is fantastic though. Everything is home made and from the best ingredients; the burgers are made from steak which is ground on the premises and they claim to not own a single can opener or microwave. That Gormet Burger place in Brighton and Hache in London don't come close. Oh, and the waitresses are as hot as the napalm sauce.

There are some great bars nearby as well. I'm off there shortly.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Coworth Park near Ascot - stunningly good food. Must be heading for two stars when it gets in the guide. Beautiful location too and service was excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here