Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF binfest 2011 - The Idiots Strike Back

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks dave, i like to make telling posts.
We get the same problems this end with selection policies but i do find people seem to be a bit more keen when it comes to sending msg's over the net or posting on websites that what they do when it comes to turning up for training dates/team selection.
We have i think used 30-40 different players in the nine REMF games and i am the only one left now that has played in every game from this end but what with marathon training, getting married in July and shift work there is no way i have time to hold an auction for places/training sessions this year and most of the squad we have now have played for the past 5 or 6 years and i wouldnt want them not to have a go at finally retaining it.

Is there plans for Gareth to be replaced as wouldnt want the REMF to end but all this on here is not going to help with anybody who is interested on taking on that role

Lush

Mods' Pet
As the person who sits on the turnstile every year, I would say that the REMF Match crowd is almost entirely made up of regular posters on NSC who are there for the beer and giggles, and friends and family of players. There are very very few people who have come along to watch a decent-ish game between Palace Fans and Brighton Fans. So purely in terms of gate money, it probably doesn't matter much how good the players are. Bragging rights afterwards, however, are a different matter.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
They could not be contacted so instead it was decided to auction off the places this year.

How did you try to contact them just out of interest? O chocolate-kneed one whom I am married to would be gutted! I think he played in the first....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How did you try to contact them just out of interest? O chocolate-kneed one whom I am married to would be gutted! I think he played in the first....

hi tede....I was asked to see if I could get hold of people and I went through my list of the first game and I could only find a couple of email addy's....yours and zefs was one of those...( I also spoke to aelred and he wasnt up for it).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
cant we just be nice to eachother

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the saddest thing in all this is that someone like Gareth has been convinced not to carry on with REMF because of people criticising him from afar.

That really is shameful after the amount of work he has put in over the years.

Part of the problem I guess is that the REMF has relied heavily on using NSC to promote its work, meaning users feel some sort of ownership over the charity they may not otherwise have. Hence everyone sticks their two penny-worth in and you end up with a lot of bad feeling over something which, personally speaking, is one of the most positive things attached to BHA FC in recent years.

I won't labour the point, but after all the criticism last year, the team still raised a record amount.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think the saddest thing in all this is that someone like Gareth has been convinced not to carry on with REMF because of people criticising him from afar.

That really is shameful after the amount of work he has put in over the years.

Please show me, say, 5 pieces of criticism of Gareth's stewardship of the charity. Post links to them here.

(I suspect you'll not find any as everyone who asked about team selection last year made it clear explicitly and repeatedly, that they were not criticising Gareth. I did this because I know how thin skinned Gareth is and even though it was obvious that no criticism was being levelled at Gareth, I felt it important to actually state that because of his aforementioned thin skin.)

I won't labour the point, but after all the criticism last year, the team still raised a record amount.

Why do you think the record sums were raised last year? What was different/better about last year than prior years? Do you think there were elements of:

1. The team decided "we'll show those fuckers on NSC" so went the extra mile.

2. Brett was an absolute amazing star and moved heaven and earth repeatedly bringing together all manner of imaginative things to the fund-raising table.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Please show me, say, 5 pieces of criticism of Gareth's stewardship of the charity. Post links to them here.

(I suspect you'll not find any as everyone who asked about team selection last year made it clear explicitly and repeatedly, that they were not criticising Gareth. I did this because I know how thin skinned Gareth is and even though it was obvious that no criticism was being levelled at Gareth, I felt it important to actually state that because of his aforementioned thin skin.)

Why do you think the record sums were raised last year? What was different/better about last year than prior years? Do you think there were elements of:

1. The team decided "we'll show those fuckers on NSC" so went the extra mile.

2. Brett was an absolute amazing star and moved heaven and earth repeatedly bringing together all manner of imaginative things to the fund-raising table.

Of course, you are right. Brett raised all the money. The rest of us didn't bother. And any small, tiny effort we made was just to prove people on here wrong, rather than support a charity which many of us have become very attached to and proud to be part of over the years.

Arguments / threads like this achieve nothing but sully the name of what is an outstanding charity. For that reason, I am leaving it there.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But like Sam says, you can't blame Andy for proving a point and doing it this way this year - and a point it will prove.

Just to be clear here: are you stating there is some form of exercise at play here to try and ensure the charity does less well this year than last?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course, you are right. Brett raised all the money. The rest of us didn't bother. And any small, tiny effort we made was just to prove people on here wrong, rather than support a charity which many of us have become very attached to and proud to be part of over the years.

Arguments / threads like this achieve nothing but sully the name of what is an outstanding charity. For that reason, I am leaving it there.

Hey, stupid, which bit of 'The team decided "we'll show those fuckers on NSC" so went the extra mile.' did you not understand?

Looking forward to you posting links to the criticism of Gareth's stewardship of the charity. £20 of my money to the REMF when you post them here. Go.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hey, stupid, which bit of 'The team decided "we'll show those fuckers on NSC" so went the extra mile.' did you not understand?

Looking forward to you posting links to the criticism of Gareth's stewardship of the charity. £20 of my money to the REMF when you post them here. Go.

Which bit of: "And any small, tiny effort we made was just to prove people on here wrong, rather than support a charity which many of us have become very attached to and proud to be part of over the years." were you unable to grasp...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Got 1 link where people are damning Gareth yet, Richie?

Will you put £20 in if you can't find 5?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So how much did the PLAYERS raise as opposed to previous years? Just curious like.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
It is actually Alan in charge of REMF, not Gareth and I am led to believe that that has been the case for some time.

So any criticism aimed at Gareth is probably unfair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here