Feb 18, 2009
pringles_789684c.jpg
popcorn.jpg
28074slushie.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last year? About £3,600. Not sure how much it contrasted to previous years but contributed to a record total.

Thats quite good as its about £225 per player (say from a 16 man squad) so Sims £200 idea earlier is probably the way forward.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is just going to get as pathetic as last year. No more posts from me.

If that is how Andy wants to do it this year, get behind him.

I seem to remember people being told last year that if they wanted to get involved in organising etc they could. Obviously none did. So leave the criticism out eh?

The main thing is the night is a success.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No. I'm quite happy with what I contribute to REMF thanks very much...

And anyway, I said Gareth had been criticised from AFAR. Not on NSC.

Stop being so bloody coy - out with it.

If you don't want to publicly name and shame, please PM/email me the details.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The initial feeling about selection policy this year was to invite the entire REMF1 squad to play in REMF10. That was my idea and I think it would have been good and fitting.

They could not be contacted so instead it was decided to auction off the places this year.

Eh? A good half of us still post on here A thread entitled "Could all REMF I veterans please PM me." would have got you about ten or twelve responses.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Eh? A good half of us still post on here A thread entitled "Could all REMF I veterans please PM me." would have got you about ten or twelve responses.

I presume that had been done but see Dave's post above.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Not that I have a right to speak on the subject - i've never been to REMF or had any involvement but i have done charity work for 3 years.

In three years the way we've worked as a performing arts group is to reward consistency and involvement on a project by project basis. This gives a reward to the hardest working members while also not making it closed shop.

So how about you start planning, anyone who wants to play gets involved in all aspects of REMF events. Then those who can't be bothered to put the effort in don't get a chance to play for the team?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That would be a group of mates sullying the name of a charity and everyone involved in it because their mate was left out of the playing squad. You're right, that was pretty shitty behaviour.

Okay Sam. I've tried really hard to stay out of this thread, as I did last year, because I thought it was bang out of order, how people on both sides of this argument made this all about me personally. I was hurt by it, frankly, and pretty dissapointed with the reaction from some people I considered friends.

Just because some of those arguing about last years' decisions were mates of mine, doesn't alter the PRINCIPLE of their argument - that to bring somebody in one year, see him raise the highest amount any single player had ever previously raised, then reject him the following year, raised questions about the selection process.

That is what caused the reaction last year. It was a pretty fair criticism in my mind, although undoubtably the manner of that criticism from some was over the top.

I hope that whatever the outcome of this year's binfest, that the night is a major success. I honestly can't see why most of the regular past players can't go out and secure enough pledges, through their freinds and regular backers on here, to ensure they form the bulk of this year's team anyway. You clearly all love being involved, so to all walk away from it seems strange.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I presume that had been done but see Dave's post above.
No, no attempt was made whatsoever to contact the original squad. Doesn't matter, I'm 53 and my 'playing' days are well behind me. All the best for this year.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is actually Alan in charge of REMF, not Gareth and I am led to believe that that has been the case for some time.

So any criticism aimed at Gareth is probably unfair.

Alan is not in charge of the REMF and neither am I. Alan is in charge of the events at Lewes FC and a great job he does too. The event is a success because of band of people who help and do their tasks. No one person does it all on their own, not this year, not any year. The Eaton family are in charge of the REMF.

I have had the honour of representing the REMF for 10 years but feel it is time to stand down and give someone else the honour of being the Chairman of the REMF. The REMF will continue as long as the Eatons want it to and after the success of 2010 the Eatons felt it would be great to continue the momentum the fund has built up over 10 years and raise more money for worthy causes to benefit in the name of Robert Eaton. It was considered to wind down the REMF after the 10th game but this is the position.

After REMF 10 people will be invited to come on board an organising commitee for the REMF and a new Chairman will be appointed and people with new ideas can keep the fund going forward.

Please now just support REMF 10 and get behind it.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just to be clear here: are you stating there is some form of exercise at play here to try and ensure the charity does less well this year than last?

No no no no - glad you posted that. Of course that's not what I meant. I was actually reffering to the match being one sided as the Palace team is rather strong and I expect the bidding side to be weaker

not getting involved in anything else here - PM only if anyone wants to discuss...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Comment from a neutral, I saw this and thought to myself that playing in the REMF team would be a great honour and a lot of fun. I also thought, somewhat embarrasingly, that I wouldn't have a problem outbidding the 10-16 players at the end of the bidding list.

Now I've "played" to a reasonable standard of adult football ... but that was 1977-2001. When I started to think of the real implications of getting a place in the team, being shown up as an old carthorse by someone in a pilarse shirt the reality hit home.

I think most "older" players would feel and realise the same. That's all really, probably doesn't help much, but just a point of view. I think the people bidding would realise this isn't a knock about in the park and there are "bragging rights" at stake.

I know it's easy to say but can we all please realise also that the chairty, it's aims and the help it delivers is bigger and more important than all of us, can I suggest we keep our petty squabbles to PM and show the cause the respect it deserves. Now STFU ... please!

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, no attempt was made whatsoever to contact the original squad. Doesn't matter, I'm 53 and my 'playing' days are well behind me. All the best for this year.

erm...slightly unfair. I had a list of all the players that played in REMF one and tried to match that with email addresses I had and spoke to a couple of ex players who expressed a view that it would be good in principle, however they were now all old and wrinkly so they would not be playing ( In fact I seem to recall that you were one of them originally who said this - BUT I may be wrong on that point the memory is fading)

I was really miffed that I couldnt find the original addresses and quite a few are overseas now also ( harts Shirt/Stumpy Etc). Also, a couple of the old team dont read NSC anymore so maybe we would have got a few, I dont know. BTW there was also a suggestion made that to play in teh REMF, it would cost you £200 and you would raise that how you wanted....I didnt think I could go to people and say " You can play for 10 minutes but it would cost you £200)....

But as I said, if anyone else has the origional addresses of people like Wayne ( sevenoaksseagull) or BHAMark ( Mark was skipper of REMF a few years) and the like, then I am happy to send out a note.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
erm...slightly unfair. I had a list of all the players that played in REMF one and tried to match that with email addresses I had and spoke to a couple of ex players who expressed a view that it would be good in principle, however they were now all old and wrinkly so they would not be playing ( In fact I seem to recall that you were one of them originally who said this - BUT I may be wrong on that point the memory is fading)

I was really miffed that I couldnt find the original addresses and quite a few are overseas now also ( harts Shirt/Stumpy Etc). Also, a couple of the old team dont read NSC anymore so maybe we would have got a few, I dont know. BTW there was also a suggestion made that to play in teh REMF, it would cost you £200 and you would raise that how you wanted....I didnt think I could go to people and say " You can play for 10 minutes but it would cost you £200)....

But as I said, if anyone else has the origional addresses of people like Wayne ( sevenoaksseagull) or BHAMark ( Mark was skipper of REMF a few years) and the like, then I am happy to send out a note.
Well you could have put a thread on here asking for people's whereabouts (TLO did one trying to get the attention of Andy Rumble who I presume is 'fatboy'), but like I say, playing-wise it doesn't matter to me and I guess a lot of the other old 'uns as well. Anyway I apologise if I've given offence.

It WOULD be great to meet up with everybody again though. Some I haven't seen since that first REMF match, but as you say a few are abroad now and others have completely dropped off the radar.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
It's times like this I'm glad I'm shit at football and not deluded enough to think I am any good. I suspect many of those who DO put their name forward will be people who have a decent level of ability and aren't just doing it to wave their wanger about showing that it's covered in £50 notes.

Chance of crap players offering £1000 to play = close to zero

Chance of good players offering 50p to play = higher than above but still relatively small

Chance of good players offering c£300 to play = probably above 50%

So 18 players are £300 each = £5400 and everyones a winner.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you read through this thread, anyone who is fat, old or a wealthy banker have already ruled themselves out (cue another binfest). It's really about the same lithe young things who play every year having to commit to raising a bit of money up front.

*edit* beaten to it by someone giving a sensible mature opinion

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I had a list of all the players that played in REMF one and tried to match that with email addresses I had and spoke to a couple of ex players who expressed a view that it would be good in principle, however they were now all old and wrinkly so they would not be playing ( In fact I seem to recall that you were one of them originally who said this - BUT I may be wrong on that point the memory is fading)

I was really miffed that I couldnt find the original addresses and quite a few are overseas now also ( harts Shirt/Stumpy Etc).

That's fair enough, Dave. I think we'd have struggled to have got a team out of purely REMF 1 players.

It would have been fun though - you could have flown around the world with Gareth accosting us one by one in our workplaces and saying something like "We're putting the team back together...we're on a mission from God."

Playing in the REMF 1 game was a wonderful experience - one that I'd wish on more Albion supporters to experience themselves for the first time. I'd suggest that one of the mandatory requirements for every player is that they have an obligation to select their replacement for the following year's game. That way, there's an entirely new set of Albion fans (and many of them young) who are exposed to a truly unique charity for one of NSC's own. They can then in turn pass on the mantle in a year's time to others...and so the cycle continues. Former pro's could do the same.

It should be seen as a tremendous honour to be selected - a continual flow of new players should eliminate any possible stagnation of interest. After a player's played, there would also be the opportunity to get involved with the organisation of the charity practically. And the charity would gain by having an additional 30 supporters year on year - 15 or so from Brighton and a similar number from Palace.

For me, REMF has been the best thing to have ever come out of NSC - I think it would be a great pity for it to stop for reasons which will seem increasing petty, ultimately inconsequential and downright embarrassing as the years pass.

We owe it to Robert Eaton's memory to keep REMF alive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here