Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF binfest 2011 - The Idiots Strike Back

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I didn't comment on any of the threads last year, mainly for the same reason as Huffer said, it would make me/him look like a right ****! But anyway...

I think some of the whiners on here need to be reminded of the very specific issue and totally immoral and wrong behaviour that arose last year that has led directly to this. No point posting it on this thread because it will simply add oil to a very tiresome binfest.

Are you reffering to the same issues that Sam has mentioned below, which I think *think* is referring to my group of friends. If you are "totally immoral" is a bit over the top!

That would be a group of mates sullying the name of a charity and everyone involved in it because their mate was left out of the playing squad. You're right, that was pretty shitty behaviour.

They, and others I remember such as Stumpy Tim - who I have never met, were quite right to question the selection policy. It was obviously not down to who raised the most, or talent. Although it was denied that selection was down to being mates with the manager, or because they had played in the last few games, for some players it clearly was.

I would have thought the best way to pick the team would be finding a balance between a team that 1.Raises a lot 2.Has some ability 3.Shows loyalty to previous players - eg if they had raised a lot before and good players, they would be in the squad.

Its a shame this selection policy has been chosen this year. As many have said it could end up with a bunch of overweight, talentless rich blokes making fools of themselves and suffering an embrassing loss (not that that matters, as obviously its all about raising money, but you can be sure it will put people coming back next year!)

Now I don't believe that will happen anyway, as who is going to put themselves through that? Infact I reckon its going to end up with pretty much the same squad as last year.

The whole bidding idea will probably rule me out, as I simply cannot afford to pay hundreds to play in a football match. I am priviliged to have played in one game at all alongside the likes of Peter Ward and Jared Evans, especially on the winning team.

Oh and why do people have to disregard many serious discussions as "BINFESTS" I would actually say I enjoy a good binfest anyway.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Which twat has changed the title of this post?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
That's fair enough, Dave. I think we'd have struggled to have got a team out of purely REMF 1 players.

It would have been fun though - you could have flown around the world with Gareth accosting us one by one in our workplaces and saying something like "We're putting the team back together...we're on a mission from God."

Playing in the REMF 1 game was a wonderful experience - one that I'd wish on more Albion supporters to experience themselves for the first time. I'd suggest that one of the mandatory requirements for every player is that they have an obligation to select their replacement for the following year's game. That way, there's an entirely new set of Albion fans (and many of them young) who are exposed to a truly unique charity for one of NSC's own. They can then in turn pass on the mantle in a year's time to others...and so the cycle continues. Former pro's could do the same.

It should be seen as a tremendous honour to be selected - a continual flow of new players should eliminate any possible stagnation of interest. After a player's played, there would also be the opportunity to get involved with the organisation of the charity practically. And the charity would gain by having an additional 30 supporters year on year - 15 or so from Brighton and a similar number from Palace.

For me, REMF has been the best thing to have ever come out of NSC - I think it would be a great pity for it to stop for reasons which will seem increasing petty, ultimately inconsequential and downright embarrassing as the years pass.

We owe it to Robert Eaton's memory to keep REMF alive.

Did Robert Eaton ever post on NSC?

FWIW REMF could host two matches, a warm up match of bad players, a ramp up and more of the fat, old blokes and the young yet shit players to enjoy the experience bringing REMF to perhaps a new audience - likely many of them don't follow football as closely/aren't as active as the veterans of REMF in the cause and would reduce the "clique" that is apparently forming, before the big game.

There are innoventive ways to both reduce the clique feel some may consider REMF to have and to keep the fund alive and fresh, it may just require new thoughts. A vicious circle if its the same old people doing it - some obviously feel. Each year though there is a binfest about selection. Given this is the "dressing room" of the organizers of REMF, maybe slapping up the Evan Warren thread can show that NSC, actually we/you ARE above this kind of petty arguing.

As an outsider thats my take on each years binfest and how to deal with it.

The nominate a replacement system isn't a bad shout either.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are you reffering to the same issues that Sam has mentioned below, which I think *think* is referring to my group of friends. If you are "totally immoral" is a bit over the top!

They, and others I remember such as Stumpy Tim - who I have never met, were quite right to question the selection policy. It was obviously not down to who raised the most, or talent. Although it was denied that selection was down to being mates with the manager, or because they had played in the last few games, for some players it clearly was.

I would have thought the best way to pick the team would be finding a balance between a team that 1.Raises a lot 2.Has some ability 3.Shows loyalty to previous players - eg if they had raised a lot before and good players, they would be in the squad.

Its a shame this selection policy has been chosen this year. As many have said it could end up with a bunch of overweight, talentless rich blokes making fools of themselves and suffering an embrassing loss (not that that matters, as obviously its all about raising money, but you can be sure it will put people coming back next year!)

Now I don't believe that will happen anyway, as who is going to put themselves through that? Infact I reckon its going to end up with pretty much the same squad as last year.

The whole bidding idea will probably rule me out, as I simply cannot afford to pay hundreds to play in a football match. I am priviliged to have played in one game at all alongside the likes of Peter Ward and Jared Evans, especially on the winning team.

Oh and why do people have to disregard many serious discussions as "BINFESTS" I would actually say I enjoy a good binfest anyway.

Don't worry - the reference was to my mates, not yours.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Or even better: Best 11 Albion vs Best 11 Palace AND Biggest Contributers/Most Dedicated/Hardest Working Albion vs BC/MD/HW Palace. The Best 11 vs Best 11 would be the feature and the BC/MD/HW vs BC/MD/HW would be a warm up. Like they do at Testimonials with the classics match before the main match.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Not in the slightest buddy. I dunno where you got that from, especially considering my post was a response to Simster, thus clearly, at the time, directed at Simster (who I have since spoken to on PM and kinda resolved).

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Okay Sam. I've tried really hard to stay out of this thread, as I did last year, because I thought it was bang out of order, how people on both sides of this argument made this all about me personally. I was hurt by it, frankly, and pretty dissapointed with the reaction from some people I considered friends.

Just because some of those arguing about last years' decisions were mates of mine, doesn't alter the PRINCIPLE of their argument - that to bring somebody in one year, see him raise the highest amount any single player had ever previously raised, then reject him the following year, raised questions about the selection process.

That is what caused the reaction last year. It was a pretty fair criticism in my mind, although undoubtably the manner of that criticism from some was over the top.

I hope that whatever the outcome of this year's binfest, that the night is a major success. I honestly can't see why most of the regular past players can't go out and secure enough pledges, through their freinds and regular backers on here, to ensure they form the bulk of this year's team anyway. You clearly all love being involved, so to all walk away from it seems strange.

Yep, thats all fair enough mate. Apologies if my posts have made you feel the need to contribute this thread, as I appreciate that you have wanted to remain pretty quiet throughout all this.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
not bothered how one gets in the team if thats how the people that organise it want it run then thats down to them at the end of the day,be interesting if the top 11 bidders are ladies :D, stick Edna in goal shes a natural,i will offer my services as the magic sponge type person and shower attendant for the night ,free of charge .

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hi tede....I was asked to see if I could get hold of people and I went through my list of the first game and I could only find a couple of email addy's....yours and zefs was one of those...( I also spoke to aelred and he wasnt up for it).

Blimey is that all - fair enough.

Having said that my other half wouldn't be able to play 5 minutes let alone 90!! :lol:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Having said that my other half wouldn't be able to play 5 minutes let alone 90!! :lol:

That's ok - Zef would have the game won inside 4 minutes.

Then we could all go back down to Club Barcelona early and Stumpy Tim could give Ian Chapman his autograph again.

*smiles at the memories*

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pick 'em out a hat. Who gives a shit who's playing or what the result is. Its all about the raffle and the takings on the night, and above all the money-raising vibe of the evening rather than the barely-watchable park kickabout of the game itself.

Better still, kit up two teams of chimps from Monkey World and double the admission fee :thumbsup:

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Pick 'em out a hat. Who gives a shit who's playing or what the result is. Its all about the raffle and the takings on the night, and above all the money-raising vibe of the evening rather than the barely-watchable park kickabout of the game itself.

This. Obviously would be very enjoyable to play in but it all about the funds raised at the end of the night.

Stumpy Tim

That's ok - Zef would have the game won inside 4 minutes.

Then we could all go back down to Club Barcelona early and Stumpy Tim could give Ian Chapman his autograph again.

*smiles at the memories*

I'm told it's on his wall at home. Fair play to Chappers, he bought Wayne and I a beer for each goal we scored against "the scum".

I reckon it would've been possible to get hold of most of that team, but I don't think many would have played. I'm not allowed to play due to a back injury. Would be a nice touch to get the people along as guests though - or give them 5 minutes or so

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thinking about SeagullEater and his appearance at REMF 1 (see Goring Gull's thread) got me thinking about this year's game. Last year there was loads of really good discussion about the squad, the reasoning, etc and all the debate helped to keep the event in the public eye - this year there seems to be nothing.

So how's it going? Has the decision to invite bids for squad places resulted in loads of fat bankers signing up and taking the fundraising potential up towards the half-million mark? Or has there been no interest thus forcing the organisers to go cap in hand to last year's squad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here