Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF binfest 2011 - The Idiots Strike Back

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Any chance of Palace doing the same thing?

obviously not if you read Kev's post. It would be interesting to see Simon Rodger of palace playing against some bloke who is only there for fun as certainly Roger didnt see the funny side of the game ( see Ali's remarks after last year)especially as he tried to remove his legs!

maybe he is right and REMF has run its course?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
obviously not if you read Kev's post. It would be interesting to see Simon Rodger of palace playing against some bloke who is only there for fun as certainly Roger didnt see the funny side of the game ( see Ali's remarks after last year)especially as he tried to remove his legs!

Sorry, must have missed that post. Hope youre well mate.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
what happens if nobody, or in a less extreme case only ten people bid?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
If whoever's organising the REMF game wants another friendly before the match drop me a pm at some point and I'll get a team together again.

im also willing to offer up a harlem globetrotters-style combination of the reigning nsc six-a-side champions the croc croc yellow army and the hamsters as a potential friendly opposition if required

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think this is a shit way of showing loyalty to people who have put in time, effort and their own money over the last few years to help make REMF the amazing charity it is (aswell as the last 2 years being the most successfull ever). What a shame that all the people who have stood outside Withdean handing out flyers before games, collected money from their friends and family and put on a pretty decent and well contested game of Football over the years will now have no part because someone who has a bit more money in their pocket is having their place.

Bit ironic that a charity who aims to bring Football to people who may not be able to afford it will now only be giving it to people with the most money.

Ho hum, the toy throwers from last year have won and Im sure it will raise alot of money.

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003

No jolly Rodger this year as unable to make the 29th as apparently attending the Royal Wedding, well ok he is away for the weekend.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think this is a shit way of showing loyalty to people who have put in time, effort and their own money over the last few years to help make REMF the amazing charity it is (aswell as the last 2 years being the most successfull ever). What a shame that all the people who have stood outside Withdean handing out flyers before games, collected money from their friends and family and put on a pretty decent and well contested game of Football over the years will now have no part because someone who has a bit more money in their pocket is having their place.

Bit ironic that a charity who aims to bring Football to people who may not be able to afford it will now only be giving it to people with the most money.

Ho hum, the toy throwers from last year have won and Im sure it will raise alot of money.

I think the issue more last year was about it being a bit select on who got picked, however I do agree this is totally poor in my view on who plays, he or she with the biggest pledge wins yet the opposition aren't doing this.

I trust a reputable auditor will monitor the bids like PWC and take a cost from REMF ?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many people are, in reality, going to bid? And how many people who are complete toilet at football are going to bid and bid LARGE to get a place? I can't see there being many, if any at all.

As close as the charity may be to many hearts, I really don't see why someone who has had little involvement with it in the past and/or isn't much of a player is going to bid. Why would they? This isn't some big glamour event.

(Back in a mo - just about to submit my £5k bid.)

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
To be honest I wouldn't mind playing but this thread has put me off. Play poorly and will come back to a binfest about why we let shit players play. So I think I'll just watch and buy a few raffle tickets instead.

Stumpy Tim

It doesn't need to be the end of REMF, but maybe it will be the end of the Albion - Palace game. REMF can easily carry on, but maybe it's time for a new innovative approach rather than having most revenue from this one game.

Maybe with Gareth standing down it could be time for a new approach and a new type of fundraising?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To be honest I wouldn't mind playing but this thread has put me off. Play poorly and will come back to a binfest about why we let shit players play. So I think I'll just watch and buy a few raffle tickets instead.

Alternatively, play well and you could be covered in glory. As Gus said, your biggest rival is yourself. Or was it Tanno that said that?

I hope you can see you way to changing your mind and put in your bid to play. 'Twould be a good thing. :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Why should those people have no part in it? Even if they do not wish to bid for a team place (or get outbid), they would still be much needed to hand out flyers, sell raffle tickets, etc, to help the charity. That is after all what its always been about, isn't it?

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
inniT boZ.

puttinG a threaD oN nsC sayinG "pleasE sponsoR mE" iZ noT reallY cuttinG thE mustarD iZ iT? LazY.

AlsO I beT theY onlY hanD ouT flyerS coZ theY havE tO noT coZ theY wanT toO inniT.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Personally, I'd like to see a game between the best that Brighton and Palace fans can offer AND a match where fans of any ability can bid to purchase a place in the squad.

As far as one-sided games being entertaining...

Barcelona beating Madrid 5-0 back in November was entertaining, as both teams have players that are in theory evenly matched.

The prospect of a half decent Palace fans team vs *potentially* a bunch of financial types with deep pockets that fancy 'the experience' but aren't very good at football, representing the Albion would not appeal and it *could* screw up REMF for the future.

Just my two cents.

Indeed. Its gonna be an absolute joke. This isn't to have a pop at Rumble, who is a top man who has been forced into this position by the binfest that happened last year. He has made the only decision available to him.

As for the "isn't the most important thing to raise the most money?" gang, then whilst I agree with the sentiment, what exactly is the POINT of the football match? Why don't we just have a barbecue and raise the money that way? I look forward to the queues of punters paying to see 15 fat, rich bankers waddle around a football field losing 14-0.

As Kevin, the Palace captain seems to be particularly concerned about this as well. I wonder if the Palace team will even want to come down to take place in this debacle.

You've got what you wanted chaps....

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Why should those people have no part in it? Even if they do not wish to bid for a team place (or get outbid), they would still be much needed to hand out flyers, sell raffle tickets, etc, to help the charity. That is after all what its always been about, isn't it?

Wow, I actually agree with you.

I feel very fortunate (and privileged) to have played in the REMF a lot game over the years, and the handing out of flyers, badgering friends etc has been a small "price" to pay for the honour of wearing The Stripes and walking out with the likes of Peter Taylor, Peter Ward, Paul Rogers etc.

I will donate and I will flyer (and you can hold that to me Bozza). I won't be attending the game as it will be embarrassing, but the charity is more important and bigger than the match itself anyway.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not going to get involved other than to say that it seems we are between a rock and a hard place and can never please everyone.

Can we see what happens before we assume the worst. I am standing down as Chairman after REMF 10 as ST said so in future I can say exactly what I think without having to wear the " REMF Chairman " hat and try and take the middle ground. I have tried to represent the fund as best as I can but its time to hand the Baton onto someone else. The criticisms of last year wounded a lot of people and some people have been alienated, good , hard working people who helped to raised hundreds if not thousands of pounds.

Also people have said this may be the end of REMF. With respect it will be the end of the REMF when the Eaton family decide it will be. Several years ago people were saying the REMF should fold and it has gone from strength to strength and raised more money in 2010 than in any year since 2001 when it was launched. For now lets just get behind Andy and Alan and all those who are working very hard to make REMF 10 a memorable and fitting tribute to a wonderful fund and a wonderful decade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here