Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp Has Left Spurs

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Harry talked himself into believing he would get the job

I think the media as a whole made him believe he had it...as did every other person in the country apart from Hodgson and the FA comittee

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think what this boils down to is Levy giving Harry the tools to get Spurs to third place and Harry failing to deliver.

If you believe 4th spot is a reasonable finish in the circumstances you will side with Harry. The X Factor is why Spurs had that wobble - personally I think it was the England job as the coincidence in the timing is just too great.

It would have been better for all concerned if the FA had just approached Hodgson straight away in February.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you look at last season and make a composite side out of Spurs and Arsenal I believe the only Arsenal players in it would be Van Persie, Vermaelen and, possibly, Walcott or Sagna. My team:

1.Friedel. 2.Walker. 3.Ekotto. 4.Vermaelen. 5. Gallas 6. Parker 7. Modric 8. Bale 9. Van Der Vaart 10. Van Persie 11. Adebayor.

On that basis Levy has every right to tell Harry where to stick his new contract.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Harry talked himself into believing he would get the job

I don't think he ever wanted the job, if anything was worrying him it was that he was being hyped out of his cosy number at WHL by his lickspittle lackeys in the press. I would not be surprised if this unsettled him for awhile.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I don't think he ever wanted the job, if anything was worrying him it was that he was being hyped out of his cosy number at WHL by his lickspittle lackeys in the press. I would not be surprised if this unsettled him for awhile.

Really? I think he was so desperate for the England job, he took his eye off the ball at Tottenham and was so distracted by the whole affair.
Its funny that he didn't ask for a new contract and commit to Tottenham before the England manager position got filled, its only now that he knows he won't get it he wants the new contract.
Harry only wants what's best for Harry I'm afraid.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm just delighted that it's all f***ed up so badly for him, the overrated, saggy-chopped wheeler-dealing prick.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Really? I think he was so desperate for the England job, he took his eye off the ball at Tottenham and was so distracted by the whole affair.
Its funny that he didn't ask for a new contract and commit to Tottenham before the England manager position got filled, its only now that he knows he won't get it he wants the new contract.
Harry only wants what's best for Harry I'm afraid.

I think journalists were desperate for him to get the job, but not Harry himself. Harry loves being loved and whilst he would no doubt have a had great honeymoon period in the england job he knew that the knives would eventually come out and his friends would turn on him.

The Spurs job is perfect for him (slightly less perfect know that there is a level of expectation there) a huge playing budget, a talented squad, a well liked side in the media and now in a genuine position to challenge for real honours, why would he want to give up that?

The England job is a poisoned chalice primarily because there is a limited talent pool from which to choose and the media just crucify everyone involved with the team. I don't think the job had that much appeal for Harry at all.

However should the FA have offered it to him, how could he possibly have turned it down without getting absolutely slaughtered. The media had more or less anointed him with no-one else in the frame, Harry could have been in a very uncomfortable position had the FA been swayed by 'public' opinion.

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
If you look at last season and make a composite side out of Spurs and Arsenal I believe the only Arsenal players in it would be Van Persie, Vermaelen and, possibly, Walcott or Sagna. My team:

1.Friedel. 2.Walker. 3.Ekotto. 4.Vermaelen. 5. Gallas 6. Parker 7. Modric 8. Bale 9. Van Der Vaart 10. Van Persie 11. Adebayor.

On that basis Levy has every right to tell Harry where to stick his new contract.

Ekotto and Gallas? Do you watch football?

Also Song is close to Parker, VDV is a luxury and only fits into a 4411, Adebayor isn't good enough for Spurs imo and they need to aim higher. Llorente

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If there was a single cause that Redknapp seemed to lose focus last season might it just have been the court case where he was cleared of being the corrupt little weasel that everyone but his most ardent admirers and the jury had him down for, rather than the England job which, to my mind, was held back in order that the FA could see how Harry came out in court. He may have won the case but perhaps the FA felt rather as many others did that the outcome was surprising in the light of the evidence. The jury may have had a touching belief in Harry's integrity but I suspect it was this that cost Spurs a Champions League place and him the England job................................

To blame the FA for his potential demise seems more than a little ingenuous.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
to even think Spurs had a chance to win the Premiershit last season. What a fantasist!!!
Actually, the pundits were saying that after 20 games (18 straight wins). It's no different than early season talk of Arsenal being able to win it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here