Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real beginner at jogging needs advice guys.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Well, was not scheduled for a jog/walk today but felt up to something, so walked across to my local small park. One circuit of it is only 0.28 miles (450 metres). Anyway i thought i would see if i could carry my portly self, all 20 stone around it, gently jogging non-stop. succeeded but took me exactly 3 minutes. Hardly ovett but then as a friend kindly pointed out, imagine a 15 stone guy doing the same carrying 70 pound of sugar with him! Feel whole lot better for that though!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
by the way, is there a way i can edit the title i gave to this thread?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hi LB. Just home from Slim Club, 3 more pound off, done my 18min jog/walk this morning and it felt a tad easier, if easier is the word ! it is 6th week at Slimming World and averaging around 2.5 lb a week loss, just a bit more, so its actually exactly what i had been hoping for. Ta all for your support
Great news, very pleased for you.

Stick at it, mate.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Thanks everyone for all your support and interest on my weight loss etc, have now joined in with the big boys on the running thread!!! but will continue with weight updates here. thanks all

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Top stuff dear chap, I bow to your efforts. What trainers did you get, couldn't see? If you didn't get sorted online go to the Jog Shop off St James's Street, they will assess you and sort you out with a nice pair of sneaks. Come to Parkrun at Hove Park, Satdi mornings at 9am. 5k, all standards welcome, dead friendly. Also if you need any personal sessions or diet advice I'd be happy to help if I can, I'm doing a qualification in elite sports performance and tis a joy to help people out. And drink coconut water and promax diet chocolate :)

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Top stuff dear chap, I bow to your efforts. What trainers did you get, couldn't see? If you didn't get sorted online go to the Jog Shop off St James's Street, they will assess you and sort you out with a nice pair of sneaks. Come to Parkrun at Hove Park, Satdi mornings at 9am. 5k, all standards welcome, dead friendly. Also if you need any personal sessions or diet advice I'd be happy to help if I can, I'm doing a qualification in elite sports performance and tis a joy to help people out. And drink coconut water and promax diet chocolate :)

Thanks for that mate, really appreciated. Live in Littlehampton so cannot make the Brighton run, but great of you to ask. As for trainers i am afraid, due to being on benefits i am having to put up with my tatty old silver shadows for now, but hopefully Santa may help on that one!!!
well thats week 2 of Running made easy programme, and all limbs intact and lungs kind of working! Week 3 starts monday and is same 1 min jog and 2 mins walk but repeated an extra time to a total of 7 = 21 mins. hopefully will be ok

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Great effort, once you've really started to lose weight it becomes even more of a motivating factor because you know you can do it.

For what it's worth, this time last year I'd never run more than about five miles in my life. In April I completed the Brighton Marathon, which just goes to show how quickly the body responds once you start putting the effort in & training.

If you ever get to the point where you're that keen on running, I highly recommend having a go at a marathon. You may not think you can do it, but you can, and it's just a BRILLIANT experience on the day.

But small steps first eh? :thumbsup:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Great effort, once you've really started to lose weight it becomes even more of a motivating factor because you know you can do it.

For what it's worth, this time last year I'd never run more than about five miles in my life. In April I completed the Brighton Marathon, which just goes to show how quickly the body responds once you start putting the effort in & training.

If you ever get to the point where you're that keen on running, I highly recommend having a go at a marathon. You may not think you can do it, but you can, and it's just a BRILLIANT experience on the day.

But small steps first eh? :thumbsup:

Ta Edna. would love one day to do that, as you say, small steps. Am doing the 3 mile Sport relief run in march, which if i finish will be awesome achievement! then i will look to gradually increase. I must say that in just two weeks i can feel the difference

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Ta Edna. would love one day to do that, as you say, small steps. Am doing the 3 mile Sport relief run in march, which if i finish will be awesome achievement! then i will look to gradually increase. I must say that in just two weeks i can feel the difference

They are good words of advice from Edna. You can achieve whatever you want Highway, maybe one day we will have our very own NSC race and we will call it The Highway.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
They are good words of advice from Edna. You can achieve whatever you want Highway, maybe one day we will have our very own NSC race and we will call it The Highway.

lol, now that would be something eh! Three Sundays back I watched mates play Badminton, i tried a gentle knock about of about 5 mins tops, first to 5 points and was cream crackered! tonight I played 3 sets of doubles over about 30 mins, and got thru ok. So must be working

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Well, woke with so many aching bones and muscles from badminton that would have been easy to say no to doing first day of Week 3. Glad i didn't though, but OMG was the extra 3 min jog/walk noticeable! That said I only have to look back to week one one in my diary to see that already its working, little steps, but working

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Kind of messed up the program today because instead of one minute jog and two minute walk, 7 times, I jogged 3 mins, walked 2 ins, then jogged 2 mins and walked 2 mins twice.So i still done the seven minutes of jogging but with less walking. I guess its still ok though.And really appreciated my first non stop 3 mins! Slimming World tonight for weigh-in, hoping for a 2 pound loss, and to see first figure as 19st....second figure can be 13 pounds for all i care as aimed to break the 20 st mark all year. My home scales said I had a week back but am going by tonights

D

Deleted member 18477

question for you joggers: what is your diet like? what do you eat throughout the day to fuel you up?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Even when I started training for the marathon with five mile runs, doing twenty six miles looked unbelievably daunting. I found it hard to imagine ever running that far. I just chipped away at the distances- figuring if I could run five miles, then it wasn't much of a step to do six. Once you've run six, you won't find seven too hard and so on. You don't go from running five one day to ten the next...you just work up to it, step by step. I aimed to have comfortably done a ten miler by the end of January this year, to be up to fifteen by February, and then to have done a big twenty miler mid March to give me time to recover by the big day in April. In the end, my twenty miler turned into 22, which proved to me I was perfectly capable of doing the marathon.

I can't tell you just how good the day itself was. Yes, there are inevitably a few moments when you feel crap and wonder why you bothered (in my case between about 8 and 11 miles- the Ovingdean stretch), but the atmosphere, the crowds, and the feeling of having done it are just amazing. To have complete strangers shouting your name and cheering you on all the way round is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

Keep going anyway, you'll feel amazing when you get to where you want to be.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Just back from Slimming World, lost 3.5 more pounds, so 19 all told in 7 weeks, and 61 since january 1st

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here