Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real beginner at jogging needs advice guys.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Keep your toe nails short!

Will probably take a few outings to find your pace so don't worry if you don't run too far to start with.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Five months ago, I could barely run for the bus. I'm not particularly overweight, but I was unfit. So my husband and I started the NHS Couch-to-5k plan. I really can't recommend this programme highly enough. It starts you off really slowly but by the end of nine weeks you'll be running non-stop for 30 minutes. We now run 5-6km three times a week. I feel fantastic for it and love knowing that my stamina is so much better and my legs stronger.

It couldn't be easier - just download the podcasts, stick in your headphones and go. I never once felt disheartened the whole time I was doing the programme.

Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Your time for the fifth of a mile would give you a whole mile in seven and a half minutes, if you kept that speed up, which isn't too shabby at all considering that you walked some of it. Good luck in your endeavours, shed the weight and keep it off!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Make sure you get a pair of decent running shoes, at Sports Direct they have a little heat sensitive platform that detects the shape of the arch of your foot and recommends what shape of running shoe is best for you. I ran with bad shoes for a while and ended up getting shin splints for around 3 months which I've only just recovered from. Also, if you run when your calf muscles are tight you are liable to get shin splints as the muscles in your calf usually help cushion the impact of running on your shins, but when the muscles are tight this doesn't happen.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your weight loss thread popped up when I was doing another search, the other day.
I wondered then how it was going, but didn't like to bounce, 'just in case'.

So this is nicely timed, well done.

I have no knowledge of jogging as my knees wouldn't hold up, which is my point.
I can't imagine carrying the weight and pounding the streets doing too many favours to your joints, so take it easy.
The last thing you need is a few weeks laid up.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Find yourself a flat long stretch with makers on it, eg The lamp posts along the seafront. Then run between the first set,quick walk the next set, run the next. As you start feeling fitter reduce the walking set. Do two lamp posts, quick walk one set, run two. Hope that makes sense. Stretch well prior to exercise and warm down well. Last but not least enjoy it!

Good points,i cycle not in a club,but today hilly area that Leek is 14 miles in 65 mins (and that is slow by good riders standards),but i can handle it. Fast walking is very important,try to do two miles on the seafront in around 30 min two/three times aweek to supplement any running. For some reason from what i understand 'A brisk paced walk eats calories' (?)

Aug 4, 2011
Hello mate! Great to hear you want to get fit again. The best advice I can give you without knowing more is for approx the next 4-6 weeks. Slowly progress the distance you are running. Like the comments above get some decent running shoes. This will limit the pressure on your joints and decrease the risk of injury. Look for shoes which are padded , support the ankle .Adequately warm up and mobilise before your jog. So basic foot rotations , leg extensions etc etc. Once your fully mobile then begin to warm up. Best way for this is to have a quick walk and progress this into a jog. Nobody knows your body better than yourself. So you can answer most questions adequately. The first 4-6 weeks your body will be re-adjusting to exercise. Don't train too hard. The main goal here is to stick to training , not over stress your body. Your conditioning your muscles and aerobic energy system for exercise. So your main goal will be so start jogging small distances and getting your joints mobile and lubricated. After this, I would then reccomend you find out what your limits are physically - how far can you run comfortably? How long untill your either gased or muscle's ache? And then work from there. Progressing over time. Find out what your long term goal is. Where you want to be and then break it down into a programme. So if you want ( This ) in a year. Work out what you needed to do over 12 months - 6 monts - 3 months - 1 month. Then follow the plan :)

If you need any advice then just mail me.

I am a PT and will be happy to help! Kind Regards

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Hello mate! Great to hear you want to get fit again. The best advice I can give you without knowing more is for approx the next 4-6 weeks. Slowly progress the distance you are running. Like the comments above get some decent running shoes. This will limit the pressure on your joints and decrease the risk of injury. Look for shoes which are padded , support the ankle .Adequately warm up and mobilise before your jog. So basic foot rotations , leg extensions etc etc. Once your fully mobile then begin to warm up. Best way for this is to have a quick walk and progress this into a jog. Nobody knows your body better than yourself. So you can answer most questions adequately. The first 4-6 weeks your body will be re-adjusting to exercise. Don't train too hard. The main goal here is to stick to training , not over stress your body. Your conditioning your muscles and aerobic energy system for exercise. So your main goal will be so start jogging small distances and getting your joints mobile and lubricated. After this, I would then reccomend you find out what your limits are physically - how far can you run comfortably? How long untill your either gased or muscle's ache? And then work from there. Progressing over time. Find out what your long term goal is. Where you want to be and then break it down into a programme. So if you want ( This ) in a year. Work out what you needed to do over 12 months - 6 monts - 3 months - 1 month. Then follow the plan :)

very much appreciated mate, cheers

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

There has been a lot of shit posted on NSC during the past few days/weeks/months but this just shows what a good forum can do, great post, support, help, just what was needed.

Also

Official Running Thread - Page 34

Good luck.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Don't fret about the seemingly short distances to start with. I began a jogging programme four months ago when I could barely run for more than three minutes without feeling knackered.

By jogging every other day, I quickly managed to increase distance as well as getting the weight off.

I now go 6 kms each time and miss it when I've got no time. It won't take long for you to feel the same if you stick at it. Good luck!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Don't fret about the seemingly short distances to start with. I began a jogging programme four months ago when I could barely run for more than three minutes without feeling knackered.

By jogging every other day, I quickly managed to increase distance as well as getting the weight off.

I now go 6 kms each time and miss it when I've got no time. It won't take long for you to feel the same if you stick at it. Good luck!

that is very encouraging mate, many thanks

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Well everybody thats day one of the 8 week programme to get back to fitness. Week one is Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week. Measured out a 2.41 mile route and there i was pounding! the streets at 0615. Got back in 30 mins 35 secs, and my gawd did that 8th set hurt lol. But i done it and can rest till wednesday. Please dont think i am being a bit self indulgent not adding this onto the running thread,rather than having this personal one, once i feel i am progressing enough I will, till then I am finding the support i get here brilliant.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
OMG so glad it is a rest day today, just tried to jog to shop, a mistake lol, walking like john wayne

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well everybody thats day one of the 8 week programme to get back to fitness. Week one is Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week. Measured out a 2.41 mile route and there i was pounding! the streets at 0615. Got back in 30 mins 35 secs, and my gawd did that 8th set hurt lol. But i done it and can rest till wednesday. Please dont think i am being a bit self indulgent not adding this onto the running thread,rather than having this personal one, once i feel i am progressing enough I will, till then I am finding the support i get here brilliant.

I am the unfit husband mentioned earlier by black and white seagull, the couch to 5k by NHS direct is really good and its will power more than anything else, just make sure you go out rain, sun or gale and by the end you can easily be running 5k, it is amazing. I find running along the seafront the best as its level and has good points to aim for.

I had to run for the train last night to make the football, didnt stop and I could not have done that 3 months ago, let is all know how you get on and I hope you enjoy the podcasts.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
firstly - well done for making a life change, you will not regret it no matter the pain, sweat, tears, and possible blood that it takes to get to your goals !!!!!

my advice is that in the beginning you should concentrate alot more on diet and sticking to it than training. Diet is the key. Training is massively important, and slow and easy at first is good, but you should set goals to push yourself a little bit further everytime you run, even if it is 2 minutes more.

I think in your case you shouldn't worry how far you are going, but rather how long. Set a time that is you can accomplish then work from that and add 1 minute to it everyday. Soon you will be going longer than you would have ever thought was possible.

Rest is also important so don't over train. 3 days a week would be good at first then after a few weeks add another day, until you can get 5 days a week and take the weekends off.

Good luck mate, and remember it is all about what you fuel your body with. DIET , DIET , DIET !!!!!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There are alwasy two bits of good advice for starting running. Decent shoes and don't try to go too fast. When I started I couldn't last very long, even though I thought I was going slowly, so I slowed down even more - in fact I could have walked faster, but that wasn't the point. Within a couple or three weeks I could keep jogging for over an hour, only then did I attempt to speed up, and then only a little.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Oh Dear, due too do second of the three jog/walks in morning but first one has left shins aching. Looks like to much shock impact on my poor old legs, walk instead untill another stone off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't just get any old pair of running trainers either, you could do a lot worse than go to this place.

They will look at how you run, where you need support and look at trainers most suitable.

shoeguide

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here