Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio presenters saying the parents where irresponsible (Madeleine)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
As I understand the Mark Warner holidays are in a secure compound (from what I have read)
I couldn't afford to go abroad until our kids were over 11 anyway but we did have just one holiday when my son was 4 and my daughter was 1.
It was a Pontins Holiday camp at Blackpool. A secure site. Children went to bed and the chalet maids patrolled round to hear if any children were crying. They probably passed your chalet every 20-30 mins.
An announcement would be made 'Baby crying in chalet 329' in the bar or theatre and then you returned to your child. Thousands of people did that every year for decades.
Were they all bad parents?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
As I understand the Mark Warner holidays are in a secure compound (from what I have read)
I couldn't afford to go abroad until our kids were over 11 anyway but we did have just one holiday when my son was 4 and my daughter was 1.
It was a Pontins Holiday camp at Blackpool. A secure site. Children went to bed and the chalet maids patrolled round to hear if any children were crying. They probably passed your chalet every 20-30 mins.
An announcement would be made 'Baby crying in chalet 329' in the bar or theatre and then you returned to your child. Thousands of people did that every year for decades.

I am not sure there were so many paedophiles etc around in those days, different context except for the notorious Moors murders.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
I am not sure there were so many paedophiles etc around in those days, different context except for the notorious Moors murders.

I think there were but it wasn't talked about as much.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Starry said:
IMO anyone who leaves a baby unattended anywhere is making bad choices as a parent.

In which case every single parent who ever went to Butlins or Pontins is a bad parent including me.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Starry said:
IMO anyone who leaves a baby unattended anywhere is making bad choices as a parent.

Well said.The buck stops with the parents.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Yorkie said:
In which case every single parent who ever went to Butlins or Pontins is a bad parent including me.

I just can't understand how anyone can leave a baby like that, you said someone passed by the chalet every 20-30 mins. Baby starts crying, nightmare, wet nappy, fell out of bed, just after the maid has passed by, baby is crying for 18 minutes before maid passes by again, maid raises the alarm to summon the parent, a couple minutes for parent to return to their baby.

I couldn't do that to my child. It makes me sad to think of any baby crying like that and not having the comfort there for them for that length of time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
People did things very differently in days gone by, called evolution and I think what you are say is a bit unfair.

Remember asbestos - once considered a good product to stop fires, now look what has happened.

Different era different rules that's all.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Starry said:

I tend to side with Starry on this one. Obviously I'm not a parent but I think the Garden examples being talked about are slightly different, this is a foreign holiday resort which may well be a secure location for children BUT surely a holiday resort with that kind of reputation attracts sick minded individuals?

I dont think people should criticise the parents and say they are bad parents and they should have predicted their child would be taken because obviously no one ever realistically expects that to happen but what would have happened if one of the two twins had stopped breathing? Cot death or another such problem? Or on a less serious note what if the 4 year old had woken up strolled around the apartment and realised her parents werent there? I would imagine she would be pretty upset, this is why I can't believe they have left them.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Beach Hut said:
People did things very differently in days gone by, called evolution and I think what you are say is a bit unfair.

I think anyone leaving a baby unattended is making a bad choice, if that is unfair on the person leaving a baby alone then I'd rather be unfair than fair.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Starry said:
I think anyone leaving a baby unattended is making a bad choice, if that is unfair on the person leaving a baby alone then I'd rather be unfair than fair.

I know what you are saying however what I am trying to point out is things were done differently in previous eras and also had you been around in that era you may have been taught different values and rules such as this.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Beach Hut said:
I know what you are saying however what I am trying to point out is things were done differently in previous eras and also had you been around in that era you may have been taught different values and rules such as this.

Things might have been done differently, but nothing can excuse leaving a baby unattended. Nothing. And if that makes me an unfair person then so be it. Different era or not there can never be any good reason for a parent to go to a bar/theatre/restaurant leaving their baby unattended in the bedroom. Fifty years ago children still had nightmares, still sleep walked, still peed in their nappies, still fell out of bed. They will still do all of those things in fifty years time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Starry said:
Things might have been done differently, but nothing can excuse leaving a baby unattended. Nothing. And if that makes me an unfair person then so be it. Different era or not there can never be any good reason for a parent to go to a bar/theatre/restaurant leaving their baby unattended in the bedroom. Fifty years ago children still had nightmares, still sleep walked, still peed in their nappies, still fell out of bed. They will still do all of those things in fifty years time.

No one has said you are an unfair person except you. I suspect if you were around in that era you would have been taught totally different values and concepts about bringing children.

But let's just agree to disagree

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Beach Hut said:
No one has said you are an unfair person except you. I suspect if you were around in that era you would have been taught totally different values and concepts about bringing children.

But let's just agree to disagree

You said what I said was unfair.

I could never agree that leaving babies unattended is a good idea. My mother who I assume would have been around in that 'era' and taught me the values I have now is of the same opinion.

She would beat me to within an inch of my life if I so much as thought about leaving her grand children unattended at home and going to the bar or for dinner.

Statistically it appears children were more likely to be picked up in the 60's then now, it appears they were safer then!

The back garden stuff is a bit of a red herring here. Your house is a known territorry t you, your kids, you are known to your neighbours, It is safe territory.

Abroad, in a resort, everyone is a stranger, your kids what have an empathy with the apartment. And in this case no entrance to the apartment was within the view of the parents and out of ear shot. This is what is so damning to me.

They have taken a calcualted and unnecessary risk.

Back to school, we have this to come, we don't drive. We can cycle the kids to school for a while, that has its own pro's and cons.

When do we let go? The stats say kids are safer now? But how true is that. When I was kid everyone walked to school, kids aged 10 plus played in parks with their mates - no adults.

I played around the corner from our house in a set of garages. Everyone felt safe. Kids did play in the streets. I used to live in Buck Place and used to play football in the garden and path and do a cricket run up across the road!!

Who would let their kids do any ogf that now. We have loads of kids in our street but they are never out playing! Combined with parents driving them to school, means our kid crime is now actually lower!

If we let our little ones walk to school on their own, would they be the easy target, whilst all their school chums get lifts to school.

As it happens I did have a few dodgy incidences with car drivers, a nutter chasing a few of us with an axe in St Nicholas Church. A bloke hiding in bushes in Dyke Road Park, we were playing hard and seek, eventually it dawned on us, someone was seeking out us. The next day someone was found dead at the Grammar school, adjacent to the Park fence.

And some bloke attempted to molest me in a cinema even though I was sitting with my mates.

Funny enough, all of the above was just seen as growing up in the centre of Brighton, as a kid you knew it was rough and full of strange people from elsewhere.

LC

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yorkie said:

My lad is now 6 months old and our first trip as a family was to Butlins in Bognor (no sniggering at the back). It was done for 2 reasons - first if it turned out bad we were a 45 min drive from home but second they had a CRECHE with qualified, all female, child minders. The thought of leaving him for 20 minutes would never have crossed our minds never mind all night.

Having said that me and my missus both make parenting mistakes every day but leaving our little one while we went for a bite to eat and a pint would never be one of them, before or after this tragic story emerged.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Guinness Boy said:
My lad is now 6 months old and our first trip as a family was to Butlins in Bognor (no sniggering at the back). It was done for 2 reasons - first if it turned out bad we were a 45 min drive from home but second they had a CRECHE with qualified, all female, child minders. The thought of leaving him for 20 minutes would never have crossed our minds never mind all night.

Having said that me and my missus both make parenting mistakes every day but leaving our little one while we went for a bite to eat and a pint would never be one of them, before or after this tragic story emerged.

The creche wasn't open at night, only during the day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Starry said:
She would beat me to within an inch of my life if I so much as thought about leaving her grand children unattended at home and going to the bar or for dinner.

Interesting theory to be beaten to death to within an inch of your life - would you do that to your kids if they left your grand children unattended ?

BTW - wouldn't like to meet your mum :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here