Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

D

Deleted member 18477

over 4 months gone now and every night i want to reach down my own throat and pull my lungs out. They are so itchy and tickleish at night its actually a little painful. Stopped eating as much as i was aslwell which is good, and the weight is evened off.

Why does quitting make your throat itch out of interest? Is that a common problem for quitters? Ive been trying to make my stinky smoking mates quit for ages! Sick of spending my winter evenings down the pub outside - so much so i dont go out as much!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
It's my first day :(

if you see it as unhappyness you are doomed. every hour go outside and do deep breaths stating "my lungs love clear air" :) make it positive......if you have a craving - breath in peace, breath out tension..... use lavender drops on your head, and sage/thyme/rosemary tea, and drink tons of water to cleanse........after 48 hours you will no longer be addicted to nicotene and its in your head.

the p.mckenna hypnotherapy (torrent) is good too - do at 6am when half asleep :)

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's my first day :(

Mate you CAN do it. every day is easier than the last and tomorrow will be easier than today. Take an hour at a time, go to bed, wake up, resist the temptation and take every hour as it comes. after a while those hours turn into days and days into months. Best of luck.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Why does quitting make your throat itch out of interest? Is that a common problem for quitters? Ive been trying to make my stinky smoking mates quit for ages! Sick of spending my winter evenings down the pub outside - so much so i dont go out as much!

For me its my lungs. The area between my shoulder blades is itchy and my lungs well...tickleish. not so much the throat but i have been dry coughing for a while so that does get sore. I know its the little hairs getting back to life in my lungs but i wish they'd hurry up. Is there a doctor on NSC that can give some advice becuase i am considering eating the cheese grater.

There is an easy solution of not going outside and that is to sit at the table or bar especially if there is another non-smoker. Your mate will go out side, get cold and your at the bar having a laugh. psychologically that might have some effect. The other way is just ask him when he is going to stop, not asking him to stop but asking him when he is going to stop, this is what my sister did in only a way a sister can and it played on my mind because i couldn't give a straight answer.

Massive support and massive big wishes.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Year and a half ago I just quit as I knew if I continued it would most likely kill me. Its been hard battle but a battle worth wining. Stick with it fella.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
7 days short of 8.5 years, apart from two half cigarettes (one of which was at half time at Selhurst last December, that was enough to drive anyone to smoke). It really does get easier and easier, it took about 4 years before I actually really stopped missing it, but it was only a month or so before I stopped constantly thinking about it. Now it doesn't even cross my mind, and I can't believe people still persist with it. You have to plan your life around it, it's such a ridiculous habit. If you really, really want to give up, it isn't that hard. But if deep don't you don't, then there's no point in trying, because you won't.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
every day is easier than the last and tomorrow will be easier than today.

This is so true. If you can get through the first day, then when you wake up the second day all you have to do is do what you did yesterday, except this time it's a bit easier. Use that mentality and you'll be amazed at how quickly days turn into months, and months turn into years, and eventually you'll stop counting. That's when you know you've done it.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Mate you CAN do it. every day is easier than the last and tomorrow will be easier than today. Take an hour at a time, go to bed, wake up, resist the temptation and take every hour as it comes. after a while those hours turn into days and days into months. Best of luck.

360 days (not that I'm counting) and I'm finding it harder now than I did at the beginning:(

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
360 days (not that I'm counting) and I'm finding it harder now than I did at the beginning:(

I've found the same as I've got nearer to the 1st anniversary. I still will not take the massive backward step to starting again though, no way!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
i've found the same as i've got nearer to the 1st anniversary. I still will not take the massive backward step to starting again though, no way!

this!!

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Wow, pleased I stumbled upon this today. I gave up about 12 weeks ago now. Putting the first week aside it's been pretty easy, up until this weekend. All I've wanted is to have one. Staying strongish!

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
no i'm o.k at the moment, i've got 10 motive e-cig and they are not bad

Good Luck, i gave up 9 years ago having smoked for 25 years and cant even stand the smell now. It will be one of the best things you will ever do :)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's all in the mind I went through the same when I was at a year especially at times of stress, I brought some smints and in hale like smoking its a similar sensation try it it may help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here