Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
6 months off the weed today!

Happy new year all at NSC
When you think about it quitting is easy. Staying quit though is a different matter.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The best of luck to all trying. I'm now a year off and not missing it one bit but it took me 5 years of trying and it was bloody hard work. I did go from ciggy's to cigars for the last 3 years but not sure it helped. I did the cold turkey route and it was surprisingly easy once I really set my mind on it.

Anyway good luck to all trying and keep the faith!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've smoked for ten years+ Put all my baccy and smoking paraphenalia in the bin at the end of the road today and won't smoke again. Sick of it and with one parent dying in March and another one diagnosed with cancer 3 days before this Christmas I'm done with it, just don't want it in my life anymore. Drinking too. Good luck and strength to your arm if you are giving up.

Sometimes it's easy to think you've smoked for too long and it won't make a difference so I have a list I have on me which lists the benefits of quitting smoking, literally starts from half hour after stopping smoking up to ten years I think. I'll try and find it online and post it. I quit once for a year with the help of this list, every time you feel shitty look at it and it remninds you of the good you are already doing for yourself..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Here Y'are. Very good I think.

Guide to Quitting Smoking

+ -Text Size
Download Printable Version [PDF]»
TOPICS
Document Topics
GO »
SEE A LIST »
Why should I quit?
Immediate rewards of quitting
When smokers quit — what are the benefits over time?

20 minutes after quitting

Your heart rate and blood pressure drop.

(Effect of smoking on arterial stiffness and pulse pressure amplification, Mahmud A, Feely J. Hypertension. 2003:41:183)

12 hours after quitting

The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting

Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285, 323)

1 to 9 months after quitting

Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) start to regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting

The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker’s.

(US Surgeon General’s Report, 2010, p. 359)

5 years after quitting

Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder are cut in half. Cervical cancer risk falls to that of a non-smoker. Stroke risk can fall to that of a non-smoker after 2-5 years.

(A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007, p 341)

10 years after quitting

The risk of dying from lung cancer is about half that of a person who is still smoking. The risk of cancer of the larynx (voice box) and pancreas decreases.

(A Report of the Surgeon General: How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease - The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease Fact Sheet, 2010; and US Surgeon General’s Report, 1990, pp. vi, 155, 165)

15 years after quitting

The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker’s.

(Tobacco Control: Reversal of Risk After Quitting Smoking. IARC Handbooks of Cancer Prevention, Vol. 11. 2007. p 11)

These are just a few of the benefits of quitting smoking for good. Quitting smoking lowers the risk of diabetes, lets blood vessels work better, and helps the heart and lungs. Quitting while you are younger will reduce your health risks more, but quitting at any age can give back years of life that would be lost by continuing to smoke.

Last Medical Review: 10/04/2012

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That timeline is all well and good but it doesn't take into account how long someone has smoked for or how many. It's a nice rough guide though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Attempt number 348, day 1. No fags, though fairly reliant on my electronic fag :thumbsup:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Second day of patches, haven't felt the urge to buy fags but my work mates don't make it easy for me! Currently staying strong, but for how long?!

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must be about 12 days for me now. Piece of piss with the elctronic thing, and have even cut back using that aswell. After over 20 years of the cancer sticks I am very determined this time. Keep it up folks.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not smoked since July 2012. Cold turkey. My Wife stopped in April 2012 and has had the very occasional cig (like 10 in total since then.)

We are going on a Nile cruise this year, paid for from what we would have spent on cigarettes :)

I would like to be able to have the occasional cig like the Mrs but daren't. A major motivator for me is that I am able to say that I haven't smoked since last July. It gets easier guys. Keep at it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Day 7 on champix, have cut down from about 20 a day to 9 yesterday, Sunday will be my last day of smoking :)

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
7 months in, it's been an absolute piece of piss with the Champix, save from the initial first two weeks' side effects.

Saved so much money I've been able to fund a small, amateur heroin addiction.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had a minor relapse the evening of the Arsenal game as my e-fag ran out of battery (+ alcohol consumption levels probably didn't help)! Smoked about 4 or 5, but that's it. Back on the e-fag now :thumbsup:

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
December 27th 2011 was the date of my last smoke after 53 years of heavy smoking.
I used the Nicorette inhaler for the first 3 months, but I have really suffered with side effects.
I have had dreadful sinus problems since giving up and this has lead to panic attacks and feeling that I am unable to breath.
Doctor put me on Avamys nasal spray and anti depressant tablets and I am pleased to say at last I am beginning feel OK again.
But it has been one hell of a struggle.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
7 months cold turkey. Feel good and extremely proud of myself. No going back for me.

Good luck to all fellow quitters ;)

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Loved it this morning. I really can't stand sanctimonious anti-smokers who take any opportunity to rant at smokers. So this morning......

There I was, stood outside Victoria station having a quick few puffs on my e-fag, when a woman passed me with a very very obvious fake "cough cough", so I laughed at her out loud. At that point she decided she was going to have a go, and went into one, shouting at me, Oh you think it's funny blowing smoke at people do you, I hate smokers, you're all so rude and stink etc etc..... I let her finish and then pointed out I was smoking a fake cigarette, at which point she did a major huff, puff and flounce :lolol:

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
8th day without a cigarette today, the champix tablets seem to be doing the trick, apart from a few dodgy side effects that now seem to be calming down a bit, and I ate about 2lb of grapes last week :eek:

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What sort of side-effects?

The most irritating is my left upper eyelid twitches about 75% of the time I'm awake! According to mrs, throwing my arms and legs around in my sleep, and a really itchy rash which I've now got cream for but the benefits are currently outweighing the side effects :)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The most irritating is my left upper eyelid twitches about 75% of the time I'm awake! According to mrs, throwing my arms and legs around in my sleep, and a really itchy rash which I've now got cream for but the benefits are currently outweighing the side effects :)

Thanks. Good luck!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here