Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quitting Smoking Thread

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i stop and start allot - on the organic no additives rolling tobacco (pueblo) - i go 4-8 days no problem - feel great - then when with a pal who smokes, i think - yeah ill have a sociable one - then i have one a day after dinner in the evening - then it all caves in again - then the cycle starts again.

i never use NRT, just positive affirmations and pranayama (breathing techniques).

on day 3 of attempt number 4,912,399....and feel great....(healthy diet / superfoods / tons of water helps).

Oct 25, 2003
despite the very odd slip here and there i've essentially been 'clean' since january 1st....only have cravings in a tiny amount of situations now and honestly when i have slipped i've stopped halfway through as i simply haven't enjoyed it

my advice? get a girlfriend who doesn't smoke...constant nagging definitely helps

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
i stop and start allot - on the organic no additives rolling tobacco (pueblo) - i go 4-8 days no problem - feel great - then when with a pal who smokes, i think - yeah ill have a sociable one - then i have one a day after dinner in the evening - then it all caves in again - then the cycle starts again.

i never use NRT, just positive affirmations and pranayama (breathing techniques).

on day 3 of attempt number 4,912,399....and feel great....(healthy diet / superfoods / tons of water helps).

This was me until October last year. I'd spent ten years "giving up". The key was accepting that the odd sociable one really is just starting all over again. I've smoked twice in those eight months, Palace home and away in the play off's!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
December 27th 2011 was the date of my last smoke after 53 years of heavy smoking.
I used the Nicorette inhaler for the first 3 months, but I have really suffered with side effects.
I have had dreadful sinus problems since giving up and this has lead to panic attacks and feeling that I am unable to breath.
Doctor put me on Avamys nasal spray and anti depressant tablets and I am pleased to say at last I am beginning feel OK again.
But it has been one hell of a struggle.

My update.

Sinus issues virtually gone now, along with the panic attacks and off the anti depressants.
If I can do it guys after 53 years you can, keep it up, it is all worth while in the end.

D

Deleted member 22389

Last year my tooth broke. Being a smoker as well and not going to the dentists for 20+ years, when I sat back in the chair the Dentist was not very impressed with what he saw. He ordered me to visit the hygienist. Over the space of 10 months I have had 4 sessions of deep cleaning. Each time I go back to the hygienist, I always say I am going to be giving up, but never do. It's getting to the point where I now feel embarrassed. I'm glad I said it because it has put pressure on me to think about giving up more and more before I go back for cleaning. I do want to give up but there is always a reason to smoke, never the right time. How did you do you manage to do it? I managed to give up about 8 years ago, I just stopped and said that was it. I managed to stay quit for a whole year as well and ruined it when I went on holiday. This time around it is so difficult. Last time I used inhalators, this time they just don't seem to have the same effect. Anybody used the spray or what about the e-cigs? e-vigs look good but for some reason they don't feel safe, crazy when I am inhaling much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My update.

Sinus issues virtually gone now, along with the panic attacks and off the anti depressants.
If I can do it guys after 53 years you can, keep it up, it is all worth while in the end.

That is pretty amazing that you've managed it after all that. Congratulations.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
1 year today! Did it cold turkey but had been gradually cutting down for a year before that. (Stopped smoking in home / car and then asking - do i really want this? ) So was down to around 5 a day from 15.

Still got a cough though and have had a chest x-ray (Clear) Feel better but definitely richer!

1 tip for those just starting Try to put what you spent on smoking in a jar etc and bank it from time to time.

(You ALWAYS had enough money for cigs even when skint!) We paid for our holiday with our savings from having stopped.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
One year and one week today:)

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
I'm still on the 10motives e-cig but all the bad shit smell/taste/breathing has sorted itself out and fags and the need of has gone.

If anyone is not sure if they can give up, give the e-cigs a go.

They have been shockingly good for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here