Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Publicity is the main aim, not popularity.

They’ve had plenty of that though, nothing really changes.

Animals eat other animals because they don't have a choice or the moral ability to make that decision.

They also can't just go down the shop and buy a food that has all the nutritional value they need.

Humans have the ability to not eat any animal products at all and still be perfectly healthy, there is no logical reason to eat meat unless you're a part of an Inuit tribe in Alaska.

So why do most people eat meat every day?

Does it have something to do with taste and enjoyment of food?

Or do people think a balanced diet is best for their own health?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Important to remember that Just Stop Oil's mission isn't too end all fossil fuel use today, its to stop new drilling for oil and gas, our government are allowing the complete opposite in the middle of a climate crisis. A criminal act really.

People are getting angry but this but we had 20k deaths in Europe last summer due to excessive heat and we're also going to see mass migration from the Middle East and Africa.

Need to give our heads a wobble and decide what to get angry about...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Important to remember that Just Stop Oil's mission isn't too end all fossil fuel use today, its to stop new drilling for oil and gas, our government are allowing the complete opposite in the middle of a climate crisis. A criminal act really.

People are getting angry but this but we had 20k deaths in Europe last summer due to excessive heat and we're also going to see mass migration from the Middle East and Africa.

Exactly. In 30 years time our kids will be asking us why we just sat back and accepted it. If any of us are still around.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

We should drill for North Sea Oil, use it for the UK. Not for exports. No more rising oil prices when OPEC reduce output. No more issues with rising inflation.

Affordable energy for all in the UK whilst we spend the next few decades transitioning away from fossil fuel use.

The UK needs to be self sufficient.

We all still want to use oil for a good while yet.

Let us supply our own.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly. In 30 years time our kids will be asking us why we just sat back and accepted it. If any of us are still around.
Yeap, my grandkids will be asking me, what the f**k were you all doing early in the century.

It really is in the hands of the developed world that has huge emissions deficits, we've done most of the damage already. IMHO we have a moral responsibility to lead by example, develop the technologies and the world that is playing catch up with our living standards will follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
planting trees is more effective than carbon capture, as it doesn't work
Punk IPA is actually carbon negative so the most effective way to reduce your footprint is to drink more of this beer.

As I have said before, as a keen environmentalist I usually drink a couple of these when flying. I know EasyJet are carbon neutral these days but it doesn’t hurt to crack open a few onboard Punks to make it negative. I guess the reason they stock this particular brand is for forward thinkers like myself.

#SaveThePlanet #GretasArmy

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We should drill for North Sea Oil, use it for the UK. Not for exports. No more rising oil prices when OPEC reduce output. No more issues with rising inflation.

Affordable energy for all in the UK whilst we spend the next few decades transitioning away from fossil fuel use.

Let us supply our own.
That would require UK plc to put up the capital investment. That is not an option so private capital takes the risk in order to earn the return, which is selling at market prices. There are other factors such as the grades of crude needed by UK refineries. Basically it is not as simple as you suggest and your suggested solution would run at a huge loss to the taxpayer which would come at the cost of massive tax rises or massive spending cuts. We as consumers have to pay market prices for our energy and in fact we should in order to incentivize the energy transition.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Let us supply our own.
Right now fossil fuel giants are still getting tax breaks for new exploration in UK waters, what happens if every country does the same to extract every last drop?

Subsides should be targeted towards renewables, this is the way to self sufficiency and is the only way will be get weaned off the strangle hold of our economy on single use fossil fuels often supplied by despots. Until this happens the oil majors will carry on as normal, take the best of a bad bunch BP, just 4% of investment is in renewables. The likes of Esso and Chevron, even worse

Carry on as we are, and if we're not f**ked our kids will be

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Well said.

I won't be around in 30 years time but I hope my grandchildren can have a decent life.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"Well Timmy, we couldn't really do anything because we had shoes and phones and other stuff that was made of oil. Sorry though."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Right now fossil fuel giants are still getting tax breaks for new exploration in UK waters, what happens if every country does the same to extract every last drop?

Subsides should be targeted towards renewables, this is the way to self sufficiency and is the only way will be get weaned off the strangle hold of our economy on single use fossil fuels often supplied by despots. Until this happens the oil majors will carry on as normal, take the best of a bad bunch BP, just 4% of investment is in renewables. The likes of Esso and Chevron, even worse

Carry on as we are, and if we're not f**ked our kids will be

what this campaign is asking is for us to take an artificial moral high ground. stop local access to oil and gas, while we'll carry on consuming the vast array of products from oil and gas just importing from Norway, Russia, Nigeria and elsewhere. we're not producing it so that's fine. then we turn around and talk about increasing self-sufficent supply and production. its very contradictory.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
what this campaign is asking is for us to take an artificial moral high ground. stop local access to oil and gas, while we'll carry on consuming the vast array of products from oil and gas just importing from Norway, Russia, Nigeria and elsewhere. we're not producing it so that's fine. then we turn around and talk about increasing self-sufficent supply and production. its very contradictory.

That is right.

The public hasn’t agreed to give up car ownership, foreign travel, general consumption or any of the all manner of things provided by fossil fuels. We are a long way off affordable and practical electric cars, affordable and effective heat pumps and lower emission shipping and aviation.

If others want to lower living standards and convenience, to boast about how sanctimonious they are, good luck to them.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That is right.

The public hasn’t agreed to give up car ownership, foreign travel, general consumption or any of the all manner of things provided by fossil fuels. We are a long way off affordable and practical electric cars, affordable and effective heat pumps and lower emission shipping and aviation.

If others want to lower living standards and convenience, to boast about how sanctimonious they are, good luck to them.
A common denominator in most of these protestors is that they are rich. It's easier to say that we must give up a car if you have two cars. People who only have one car are less keen.

One of the problems in getting people to agree to cut emissions is that the mechanisms to make them do so, are aimed at the poor. Al Gore set it all off when he was making his film and collecting his Nobel prize about cutting emissions while at the same time floodlighting his house every night. His argument was that he was offsetting it by planting trees. But why not plant the trees AND switch off the lights? no, he was rich and so could floodlight his house; poor people who can't afford to plant trees must not floodlight their house.

Putting the prices up is a way of making the poor cut back on luxuries while the rich can still afford them. But what other options are there?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its not about stopping local access to oil and gas, its about stopping new exploration and providing the subsides to it. Maybe its time for a State owned energy company with a focussed on renewables that give us energy security and price stability.

Whether we get oil from the North Sea or the Arabian Sea we are still forever be forced to pay the worldwide price for it, local exploration doesn't help us, ie Shell is Shell...

All this won't happen overnight, but this lot in power are heading in the wrong direction, all talk and little that is new. They want to open a new coal mine FFS, they're stuck in the last century and lobbied by secretly funded Think Tanks who won't tell us who's funding them

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yeap, my grandkids will be asking me, what the f**k were you all doing early in the century.

It really is in the hands of the developed world that has huge emissions deficits, we've done most of the damage already. IMHO we have a moral responsibility to lead by example, develop the technologies and the world that is playing catch up with our living standards will follow.
I think you're a touch optimistic there. Most people in this country are not willing to materially lower their living standards in a bid to cut emissions, and the rest of the world won't cut theirs unless and until their living standards have caught up with ours.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think you're a touch optimistic there. Most people in this country are not willing to materially lower their living standards in a bid to cut emissions, and the rest of the world won't cut theirs unless and until their living standards have caught up with ours.
I actually don't think we need to materially lower our living standards, but we are going to have to change the way we live and things as they stand are not sustainable. Infact it is inaction that will ultimately make us poorer.

And you mention the poor, it is they who will suffer first at home and abroad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its not about stopping local access to oil and gas, its about stopping new exploration and providing the subsides to it. Maybe its time for a State owned energy company with a focussed on renewables that give us energy security and price stability.
why isnt the campaign "Stop using oil" and using the publicity to list products we should stop using. tell people how they can share things or reuse rather than buying new, which non-carbon based insulation materials are best, stop flying, etc. by stopping demand, we'd reduce the production.

you mention the new coal mine, this is for steel production which needs coke, unless we put faith in experimental use of Hydrogen (one plant so far, with vast electric generation capacity). if you want something made with steel its necessary to have the coke mined somewhere. would you rather dig it up coke in China and Russia, ship it here to make the steel? or we could go without the steel and all modern benefits we gain from that material. its not feasible to have local production and without the cost of local production.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
why isnt the campaign "Stop using oil" and using the publicity to list products we should stop using. tell people how they can share things or reuse rather than buying new, which non-carbon based insulation materials are best, stop flying, etc. by stopping demand, we'd reduce the production.

you mention the new coal mine, this is for steel production which needs coke, unless we put faith in experimental use of Hydrogen (one plant so far, with vast electric generation capacity). if you want something made with steel its necessary to have the coke mined somewhere. would you rather dig it up coke in China and Russia, ship it here to make the steel? or we could go without the steel and all modern benefits we gain from that material. its not feasible to have local production and without the cost of local production.
UK based steel producers faced particular challenges because of unusually high industrial energy prices (almost 50% higher than the average in EU countries), high business rates and a strong pound (prior to the EU referendum) which made UK steel exports unattractive to foreign buyers.

Main exporters of iron and steel products to the United Kingdom 2022. Germany was the largest export country of iron and steel products to the United Kingdom. In 2022, approximately 564.7 million British pounds worth of these items were bought from German manufacturers.21 Mar 2023

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I actually don't think we need to materially lower our living standards, but we are going to have to change the way we live and things as they stand are not sustainable. Infact it is inaction that will ultimately make us poorer.

And you mention the poor, it is they who will suffer first at home and abroad.
All problems affect the poor first. But I'm not talking about the starving poor, I'm talking about the one-holiday-a-year poor. Persuading someone that if they never go on holiday with their children will be better for the children than if they have a fortnight in Spain, is not easy. (Well, impossible.) Persuading the rich that they can go to London for a week and only go abroad twice instead of three times; that can be done. Persuading someone that their one holiday should be in Scarborough instead of Majorca - harder to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here