Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
The answer to all this is not to have kids, then you wont have to hear them moaning, and your carbon footprint would be tiny in comparison to those pumping child after child out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
UK based steel producers faced particular challenges because of unusually high industrial energy prices (almost 50% higher than the average in EU countries), high business rates and a strong pound (prior to the EU referendum) which made UK steel exports unattractive to foreign buyers.

Main exporters of iron and steel products to the United Kingdom 2022. Germany was the largest export country of iron and steel products to the United Kingdom. In 2022, approximately 564.7 million British pounds worth of these items were bought from German manufacturers.21 Mar 2023
yes of course there are other factor involved, i assume we are willing to accept the higher costs to have the local production. Germany's increased dependancy on fossil fuels for energy might well balance this somewhat in the medium term.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Humans have the ability to not eat any animal products at all and still be perfectly healthy, there is no logical reason to eat meat unless you're a part of an Inuit tribe in Alaska.
You could say the same thing about sweetcorn and people in rural Mexico and it would make just as much sense

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All problems affect the poor first. But I'm not talking about the starving poor, I'm talking about the one-holiday-a-year poor. Persuading someone that if they never go on holiday with their children will be better for the children than if they have a fortnight in Spain, is not easy. (Well, impossible.) Persuading the rich that they can go to London for a week and only go abroad twice instead of three times; that can be done. Persuading someone that their one holiday should be in Scarborough instead of Majorca - harder to do.
Well, if you are considering a 2 week holiday in the Med you're far from poor.

But maybe those that go long haul or take 3,4 or 5 trips a year need to pay for the damage they are doing. Most flights are taken by a small number of individuals.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The answer to all this is not to have kids, then you wont have to hear them moaning, and your carbon footprint would be tiny in comparison to those pumping child after child out.
We have a falling birth rate, under 1.6 births per women. The problem isn't actually people having too many kids, the problem is our economic model relying on growth to look after an ageing population. That economic growth generally needs population growth, hence immigration never falls no matter how much politicians talk about it.

It wasn't that long ago Australia were actually paying people to have more kids for this very reason.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

But maybe those that go long haul or take 3,4 or 5 trips a year need to pay for the damage they are doing. Most flights are taken by a small number of individuals.

Out of season you can fly to Alicante and have a couple of weeks in Benidorm for a couple of hundred quid.

How many Romanians and Poles on minimum wage working in abbatoirs or car washes, or care homes fly home to visit family 3-4 times a year using £50 Ryanair or Wizzair flights?

They are frequent flyers, but they often live in HMOs and have very little money to live off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many Romanians and Poles on minimum wage working in abbatoirs or car washes, or care homes fly home to visit family 3-4 times a year using £50 Ryanair or Wizzair flights?

They are frequent flyers, but they often live in HMOs and have very little money to live off.
No idea, what's the answer and source for the info?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Out of season you can fly to Alicante and have a couple of weeks in Benidorm for a couple of hundred quid.

Frequent flyers are frequent flyers. In the UK 15 per cent of people take 70 per cent of all flights.

I'm not suggesting it should be outlawed but if you do it all the time the damage needs to paid for, whether you're a Romanian car washer or a Benidorm winter bird. Flying is a tax free activity, no VAT, no duty on kerosene its given a free pass. And don't get me started on private jets

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Frequent flyers are frequent flyers. In the UK 15 per cent of people take 70 per cent of all flights.

I'm not suggesting it should be outlawed but if you do it all the time the damage needs to paid for, whether you're a Romanian car washer or a Benidorm winter bird. Flying is a tax free activity, no VAT, no duty on kerosene its given a free pass. And don't get me started on private jets

So the wealthy can fly as often as they want, but the plebs have restrictions placed on them?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I see extinction rebellion et al are planning a mass protest in London on Sunday …disrupting the London Marathon and FA Cup SF?
Well lets hope at the sound of the klaxon, they are not sitting a few yards ahead of the starting line. The sight of 20,000 people ( some carrying excessive amounts of timber ) bearing down on them, will really test their resolve.
It could make the Foinavon pile up in the National look like very small beer.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
More publicity and less popularity for their cause. That’s the master plan.
Indeed it is and as long as they continue to be funded by Mr Dale Vince ( owner of Forest Green Rovers ) they will disrupt more and more events. He doesn't seem the slightest bit bothered if football is affected, or any other sport for that matter. He saw no problem with the snooker disruption this week.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well lets hope at the sound of the klaxon, they are not sitting a few yards ahead of the starting line. The sight of 20,000 people ( some carrying excessive amounts of timber ) bearing down on them, will really test their resolve.
It could make the Foinavon pile up in the National look like very small beer.
Tell me you don't know how the London Marathon works, without telling me you don't know how the London Marathon works.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No idea. Hence I was asking the question.

A frequent flyer taking four £50 return short-haul flights per year, are they worse than a person who takes one first class long-haul flight per year?
They're not as bad as politicians flying 50 miles or so in helicopters.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

And I know individuals that go on holiday abroad at least x 4 per year.
15 giant container ships emit as much as todays entire global ' car park ' of 750 million vehicles.
The carbon footprint of airplanes is 20-30 times more than ships.
Enough said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here