Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Well, if you are considering a 2 week holiday in the Med you're far from poor.

But maybe those that go long haul or take 3,4 or 5 trips a year need to pay for the damage they are doing. Most flights are taken by a small number of individuals.
Certainly not poor in global terms, but I'm talking about "relative" poor. There are people living in official poverty who can manage a foreign holiday.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And I know individuals that go on holiday abroad at least x 4 per year.
15 giant container ships emit as much as todays entire global ' car park ' of 750 million vehicles.
The carbon footprint of airplanes is 20-30 times more than ships.
Enough said.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make? Sorry lost you...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
which is what the protest is all about, no?

I'm not sure what you mean - are you saying the protest is all about encouraging us to find a cheap and clean alternative source of energy? Maybe you misunderstood me, I was talking about a huge technological advance, like cold fusion, which would make the energy we get from oil worthless. Not things like wind and solar etc, they are not going to prevent oil rich countries from selling their oil.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean - are you saying the protest is all about encouraging us to find a cheap and clean alternative source of energy? Maybe you misunderstood me, I was talking about a huge technological advance, like cold fusion, which would make the energy we get from oil worthless. Not things like wind and solar etc, they are not going to prevent oil rich countries from selling their oil.
someone's going to invent cold fusion just in the nick of time? that's a wee bit hollywood for me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is right.

The public hasn’t agreed to give up car ownership, foreign travel, general consumption or any of the all manner of things provided by fossil fuels. We are a long way off affordable and practical electric cars, affordable and effective heat pumps and lower emission shipping and aviation.

If others want to lower living standards and convenience, to boast about how sanctimonious they are, good luck to them.
I'm sanctimonious with a good standard of living AND an environmentalist.......this particular circle can be squared!

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I'm sanctimonious with a good standard of living AND an environmentalist.......this particular circle can be squared!

That is fine. Enjoy.

I too live very well. I am more than happy to replace my fossil fuel car when electric cars are a better value for money and meet my requirements with range.

Not sure I am willing to give up meat and air travel though. But if enough other people are willing, then I wont need to sacrifice.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When you choose your energy supplier do you only take price into account, or check if they have renewables?
Mine invests in renewables and is reasonable compares well with similar suppliers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Certainly not poor in global terms, but I'm talking about "relative" poor. There are people living in official poverty who can manage a foreign holiday.
1681932951293.png

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
When you choose your energy supplier do you only take price into account, or check if they have renewables?
Mine invests in renewables and is reasonable compares well with similar suppliers.
I'm with Ecotricity 100% renewable elec, infact their founder Dale Vince gave Just Stop Oil some funding to get their activities rolling...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
someone's going to invent cold fusion just in the nick of time? that's a wee bit hollywood for me
You're missing the point. If the protesters want us to use more green energy, it's still not going to stop the oil rich countries drilling every last bit of it for profit. Even if the UK stopped oil completely, all of the oil would still be used somewhere.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

All of the oil will still be drilled, sold and burned, so what exactly can the protests achieve?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
They do themselves no favours at Just Stop Oil.

If you are to be interviewed by a confrontational prat like Piers Morgan, don’t send on hysterics that can’t handle such interviewers. Completely cringe worthy viewing from all parties.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

If you are to be interviewed by a confrontational prat like Piers Morgan, don’t send on hysterics that can’t handle such interviewers. Completely cringe worthy viewing from all parties.

to be fair i tried, but within seconds of Morgan cutting off the interviewee before he'd even started an answer, ranting about smirking, i gave up. i'm almost won over to their cause.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're missing the point. If the protesters want us to use more green energy, it's still not going to stop the oil rich countries drilling every last bit of it for profit. Even if the UK stopped oil completely, all of the oil would still be used somewhere.
Small steps, one at a time. The boy on the beach rescuing starfish.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

More Murdoch grifters polluting our airwaves, hopefully more truthful than their American cousins.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
we can only control our controlables, should we just give up?......... that is the point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here