Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Protester climbs onto crucible snooker table

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, I wouldn't agree with you there. If you believe that women are thick, don't quote me talking about just one woman who died over 100 years ago as if I was backing you up.
I am a woman. I wouldn’t quote you when using wit and sarcasm.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The two go hand in hand though.

Eating meat is repugnant and meat is a leading cause of climate change.

It is also the largest cause of animal abuse in the world.
Sorry for the delay; was having dinner.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The two go hand in hand though.

Eating meat is repugnant and meat is a leading cause of climate change.

It is also the largest cause of animal abuse in the world.
You have to agree though, it’s the most delicious form of climate change. Animal flesh is just so delicious ❤️❤️

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I haven't read the thread (and I shan't revisit it after posting this as I can't be arsed to debate it), but I bet there are loads of comparisons to Suffragettes, French protesters, perhaps even George Davis (if anyone remembers an Ashes Test being ruined by the George Davis is innocent' campaign).

All those comparisons are wrong and all the people making them are wrong. Those protests were/are about specific injustices or grievances that could be solved by a government taking action. This is just about 'raising awareness' of a global problem that, in Britain at least, we're all aware of anyway! You can't open a paper or turn on a TV without being confronted with environmental stories. Everyone is aware of climate change, even if they think the dangers are exaggerated.

'Just stop oil' is a trite slogan like 'Get Brexit done'. In fact it's worse as it doesn't actually make complete sense and can only be interpreted as a vague wish rather than a concrete aim. Protests like this only piss people off. No one will have learnt anything by it, and no one will have changed their opinion. (A bit like no one will change their opinion after reading this).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I haven't read the thread (and I shan't revisit it after posting this as I can't be arsed to debate it), but I bet there are loads of comparisons to Suffragettes, French protesters, perhaps even George Davis (if anyone remembers an Ashes Test being ruined by the George Davis is innocent' campaign).

All those comparisons are wrong and all the people making them are wrong. Those protests were/are about specific injustices or grievances that could be solved by a government taking action. This is just about 'raising awareness' of a global problem that, in Britain at least, we're all aware of anyway! You can't open a paper or turn on a TV without being confronted with environmental stories. Everyone is aware of climate change, even if they think the dangers are exaggerated.

'Just stop oil' is a trite slogan like 'Get Brexit done'. In fact it's worse as it doesn't actually make complete sense and can only be interpreted as a vague wish rather than a concrete aim. Protests like this only piss people off. No one will have learnt anything by it, and no one will have changed their opinion. (A bit like no one will change their opinion after reading this).
I think most of us are in agreement, with a couple of trolls and a few outliers.

We all know what this is really.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
With current technology (for alternatives) it's simply not possible. Middle-eastern countries have vast wealth and power because of their oil, there's nothing we can do to stop them using every last drop, as long as it's making them a profit. Of course if a cheap and clean alternative source of energy was found, that would change things, as it simply wouldn't be worth the cost of drilling for the oil, but that doesn't look like happening either.
which is what the protest is all about, no?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
which is what the protest is all about, no?
Partially. Because of lobbying and donations, fossil fuel companies are persuading the government to abandon renewables, or even discourage them, to keep their donors happy with enormous, world beating profits.

In the meantime, I repeat, British people are meekly paying the highest energy bills in the world. It's no wonder this lot in power think they can walk all over us.

Edit to add, the oil companies won't stop producing but we do need to be weaned off our reliance on the Middle East and Russia for oil and gas respectively.
Theresa May turning down the Swansea Bay tidal programme was one example.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
along these lines, there's an alternative view that the best path forward is to engage in large scale carbon capture and storage. since according to the AGW hypothesis, the damage is already being done, we'll need to do this anyway. so why not wind down the rhetoric, reduce fossil fuels where sensible, end the futile and costly net zero goal, and push for capture tech. to many agendas right now, probably will be were we end up in a decade.
planting trees is more effective than carbon capture, as it doesn't work

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
That's a bit over the top. The experts I have seen have said a 2C increase in global temperatures is still possible to keep at that minimum before gradually cooling down afterwards. It will take a lot more than a 2C increase in global temperatures to wipe out the human species.
We managed to heal the ozone layer due to CFC gasses.
It may take a few more weather related disasters that kill thousands to speed up the process, but humans are too clever to go instinct like the dinosaurs.
if we are "too clever to go extinct", why isn't the galaxy rammed full of intelligent life forms?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
So what should we do about it? Obviously some animals are more repugnant than others - badgers, for example, being among the worst examples, the way they unroll a hedgehog so they can eat its stomach without troubling to kill it first - but many, many animals carry out this barbaric practice of eating flesh, and few of them have our scruples about killing them first.

How can we stop the eating of meat, and what do we do with all the corpses when they aren't being eaten?
Animals eat other animals because they don't have a choice or the moral ability to make that decision.

They also can't just go down the shop and buy a food that has all the nutritional value they need.

Humans have the ability to not eat any animal products at all and still be perfectly healthy, there is no logical reason to eat meat unless you're a part of an Inuit tribe in Alaska.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Animals eat other animals because they don't have a choice or the moral ability to make that decision.

They also can't just go down the shop and buy a food that has all the nutritional value they need.

Humans have the ability to not eat any animal products at all and still be perfectly healthy, there is no logical reason to eat meat unless you're a part of an Inuit tribe in Alaska.
Or Lapland in Finland, where they totally rely on reindeer. Our teeth show that we are omnivores, so I am happy to eat meat as long as it is produced and killed humanely. I detest factory farming.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Indeed. And how would banning oil alter that ? People will always need energy one way or the other, and governments / energy companies will always hold the cards. There's vested interests that will hold these powers in place.

These protests will amount to nothing (except people being inconvenienced). The protestors are just howling at the moon.
you've given up

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

There's no logical reason to watch football either. I do it because I enjoy it, not because it has a logical reason. I don't need a logical reason to eat meat.

Do I see humans as above animals, with the right to eat the animals but the duty to see they are treated humanely (arguments later about what constitutes humane)? Yes.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I am a woman. I wouldn’t quote you when using wit and sarcasm.
There is still a largish school of thought that reckons if you say anything bad about a woman, you refer to all women, as if men could be individuals but women are an amorphous mass that are all the same. I remember Ian Hislop on Have I Got News for You, saying to a woman who had been quite waspish about another woman, "that's not very sisterly", as if women aren't supposed to disagree. It's a pretty old fashioned attitude.

I don't share it. If I criticise Emily Davidson, it's because of my thoughts on Emily Davidson, not on women in general.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Their protest, whether you agree with it or not is about a specific goal. To stop new oil production.

I think their methods are too chaotic and vague to capture people’s imagination and I don’t think they’ll achieve what they’re trying to.

But I do enjoy the red faces and stick waving it provokes.
Reminds me of those idiots on horseback swiping at sabs with their riding crops 🤣🤣

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Rightly so if you do something

if it’s against the law, of course you will and should be. If it’s not against the law you won’t - it’s really that simple. This isn’t Russia.
It’s against the law to drink Coca Cola in North Korea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here